X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using the Mackie DLM Speakers?

Anyone using the Mackie DLM speakers on gigs?  Just wondering how they sound/hold up in a gig.  I like the idea of a single source full-range driver, and built in reverb and delay.  Check out the link if you haven't seen or heard these speakers.  Any thoughts on these?  

I purchased two DLM12S subs and DLM12 tops about 3 weeks ago.  I have used them at several small gigs and have been extremely impressed at the sound quality.  My previous rig was a Harbinger 18" active sub and 2 SRM450 mains.  This past Saturday I DJ'ed a wedding in OKC at Civic Center Music Hall and when I arrived I was worried as the room is really large and the guest count climed above 300.  There has always been something comforting with the larger speakers / setup.  Well the DLM system handled the room and number of people easily!  PLENTY of low end and volume!  Also all of my announcements were crystal clear for the entire room!  I received SEVERAL compliments on my sound that night, more than I had ever received with my other "main" system.

For the size and weight of this setup, I just don't think it can be beat right now...assuming they hold up to the normal beating of weekly gigs.  I can say that when I was tearing down I was removing one of the tops and the pole stuck a little..next thing I knew the top was crashing to the ground.  It bounced and flipped a couple times and I thought for sure it was toast!  Well, I plugged it in and tested it and nothing broken at all!

Overall, I couldn't be happier!  I hope this helps!

Comment

• dcastar
      dcastar commented
      Editing a comment

... this dude must work for Mackie.

Nope. No vested interest in them what so ever. Sorry Im not one of the hater herd....you have never heard them live obviously.

Comment

• dcastar
      dcastar commented
      Editing a comment

I have.... and thought they were a joke.   Thanks.

Most definitely marketing power...

Comment

• RoadRanger
      RoadRanger commented
      Editing a comment

agedhorse wrote:
      Most definitely marketing power...

so 200/400/800/2000 continous(RMS)/program(PGM)/peak(PP)/marketing(PMP) ?

• dedmeet
      dedmeet commented
      Editing a comment

Low post count - check

Recent join date - check

Classic "new user asks question about product and another new user pipes up with glowing reviews" - check

Of course, I could be wrong on this one.  Compared to Harbinger, anything sounds great.

I could really care less about the rated power, to be honest. I do care, however, for sound quality at volume and the DLM speakers deliver it. You guys go ahead and continue to break your backs on lifting and hauling your big heavy cabinets. I pitty you for being so closed minded. Ill be the one laughing when my setup and teardown takes less than half the time it takes you, while sounding just as good (and in most cases better). Share with me another 12" loudspeaker that weighs 31lbs, and sub that weighs 46lbs that even comes remotely close...

Comment

• chrispeters
      chrispeters commented
      Editing a comment

41 minutes ago      DJROME WROTE ::

"I could really care less about the rated power, to be honest. I do care, however, for sound quality at volume and the DLM speakers deliver it. You guys go ahead and continue to break your backs on lifting and hauling your big heavy cabinets. I pitty you for being so closed minded. Ill be the one laughing when my setup and teardown takes less than half the time it takes you, while sounding just as good (and in most cases better). Share with me another 12" loudspeaker that weighs 31lbs, and sub that weighs 46lbs that even comes remotely close..."

My answer was.......
      NEXO PS10 ..... smaller ....but 38 pounds so i give you that one ...sound quality at high volumes ?.. i aint a bettin man but them chinese mackies wont come close

Yeah your right dude...Im a Mackie exec tryinging to drum up interest in our new speaks. Whatever....

Believe what you want to believe. The OP asked a question and I gave my honest appraisal of these speakers.... From FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE. By the way, the only Harbinger speaker I have ever owned is a powered sub, which is not a bad piece of kit save for the 100lbs it weighs. My Mackie SRM450s are the older Itiallian made models that are tried and true and I have A/B'ed the DLMs against them. Better everything...sound quality,bass response, accuracy, etc etc.

I wonder how valid your opinion was when you first joined HC?

Comment

• RoadRanger
      RoadRanger commented
      Editing a comment

As the ads show, the DLM series are the best speakers for standing on and throwing down the stairs .

• djsweets
      djsweets commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you use any kind of sound processor? I use a DBX w/ my SRM & Yorkville Sub, and love the way they sound... I just don't want to give up sound quality for anything.

Just out of curiosity, and obviously Im new to HC....but why so much Mackie hate on here? I dont see it present as much elsewhere. I have had great luck with Mackie over the years, and currently use several pieces of their gear...

Comment

• jocean11
      jocean11 commented
      Editing a comment

djrome glad to hear you've had a good experience with them so far.  They seem like nice speakers.  Thanks for the input.

• RoadRanger
      RoadRanger commented
      Editing a comment

djrome wrote:
      Just out of curiosity, and obviously Im new to HC....but why so much Mackie hate on here? I dont see it present as much elsewhere. I have had great luck with Mackie over the years, and currently use several pieces of their gear...

Maybe because Mackie considers us all burned out druggies that wash our faces in urinals  ? :

• pearsonchuck
      pearsonchuck commented
      Editing a comment

I have been a Mackie fan for over 10 years. I own 2 SRM450s  a SRM150 and 1402 mixer.  When I saw the DLM12, I thought, here is a small, light, powerful speaker from a good company.  So I purchased the DLM12 and when I got it home I compared the sound of my Nord Stage 2 thru a JBL EON2 15 450 watt active speaker and the 2000 watt Mackie DLM12.  Boy was I suprisingly dissappointed with this Mackie product. JBL sounded more balanced, fuller, louder and clearer than the DLM12 at half the volume of the DLM12. DLM12 ws too bassy, not very loud, had a hiss sound at half volume, and my piano sounds were very thin and artificial sounding.   

None showing off the speakers them selves....took lots of video at my last wedding for my website. Next gig Ill shoot some HD vid of the DLMs.

By the way, the specs say 2000 watts peak, 1000 program. Thats still a lot of power for such a small enclosure.

Comment

I agree that video, and the Vladamere video, is quite stupid. Not disputing the marketing on these is childish, but the really are solid. The whole system weighs just 156lbs. That alone makes them worth consideration to me....I was skeptical myself, but now a believer. Just hope they hold up.....

Comment

• RoadRanger
        RoadRanger commented
        Editing a comment

djrome wrote:
        I agree that video, and the Vladamere video, is quite stupid. Not disputing the marketing on these is childish, but the really are solid. The whole system weighs just 156lbs. That alone makes them worth consideration to me....I was skeptical myself, but now a believer. Just hope they hold up.....

Hey, if they work for you that's great. Most here would find the subs seriously weak. I suspect two subs under each top would work for a small club just fine  . A pair of JBL PRX618S-XLR would be less expensive than four of them though and probably louder.

Im not DJing arenas here. I feel like these would handle any mobile event I book. After last weekend, I would use these at anything up to 500 people, which my normal event is 250 to 350 people.

Comment

But they are still small enough to use at smaller events too...

Comment

• dedmeet
          dedmeet commented
          Editing a comment

Ok, jocean11 and djrome, I will relent and apologize for implying you are trolling.  Let's be honest though, two fairly new accounts in the classic ask-and-testimonial troll pattern could be mistaken for shilling.

For the record, I am rather neutral on most Mackie stuff and my experiences with them directly have been mostly positive.  My issue with the DLM is the preposterous power claims.  That said, I would like to hear them myself and assess whether they are a usable a good sounding box for the size and $.  Marketing claims aside, if they sound good enough, get loud enough, and are light, I don't really care if the box pushes 20W or 20,000W.

On a somewhat related note - I have two ELX112P cabs that I love.  They are light, loud, and sound great.   In terms of specified performance they are comparable to the DLM12.  However, I don't believe EV's inflated "1000 Watts!!!" claim either.

Short version: watts, schmatts, if they do what I need and fit my budget, I'll give 'em a look.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.  I would love to hear periodic updates of the speakers over time and various situations, especially if you have issues.  Mackie's reliability since it was acquired by LOUD has been suspect.

I dont believe it but that wasnt my point

Comment

Apparently post count and credibility one in the same here at HC.

Comment

• chrispeters
            chrispeters commented
            Editing a comment
            im still finding my feet lol

Im not even sure what that means but if it has to do with weight loss, congrats! Im happy for you!

Comment

• agedhorse
            agedhorse commented
            Editing a comment

Nowhere did I say the Mackie speakers were bad, poor etc. The ONLY thing I said was that (the most highly featured text in the ad) was a marketing number only compared with what most of the pro audio industry relies on. IIRC, that's a 500 watt (RMS) rated amp in those spakers IF you were to compare with other more traditionally rated products. Just clarifying facts.

For your use, they might be a very good choice. I never said otherwise.

They have a real creative way of describing a coaxial louspeaker.

This technology has been around for a LONG time.

Cant anyone just give an RMS value anymore?  

PAS was doing this stuff years ago

This is nothing new to any market

Full range class D use, and digital processing is the only newer technology here that I can see.

Ok now I will watch the rest of the video

Comment

• dcastar
            dcastar commented
            Editing a comment

Hmmm.... Maybe I'm in the wrong business.  I think I'm going to build a really cr@ppy 8" speaker system, and then advertise it with 10000 watt peak power!!!

Then watch all the unaware band leaders / musicians buy them like hotcakes because 'OMG THEY HAVE 10000 WATTS SO THEY MUST BE GREAT!'  and then defend them to the bitter end,  even when presented with systems that are clearly better.  

Or maybe there's another angle to play...  have these guys gotten hearing damage so bad, that they really can't tell the difference??

Either way.... *facepalm* 

Working...
        X