Intermittent L-main meter LEDs

• Members

My A&H ZED 22 mixer seems to have a faulty meter. LEDs showing Left main will sometimes be non existent, be obviously lower than actual output and sometimes snap back to where the right side is reading. Output isn't affected. And LEDs have always worked for PFL function.

Allen Heath repair center?

• Members

If under warranty, sure. It's my (possibly wrong) understanding that the ZED's are disposable (single main board surface mount?) unlike the MixWiz (multi board through hole components) which is much easier to repair. OTOH if it doesn't really affect usability see if you can get your brain to overlook it ;) .

• Members

No warranty.

Thankfully the right side is reading correctly so I even have a chance at overlooking it. It sucks being unable to simply trust [at a glance] what the meter has to say.

What do you mean disposable? Do you not solder to the board? Repairing [getting the old stuff off] boards is a lot more tedious than it may seem, at least for me. I haven't done any of that kind of work in a good while and I'm not entirely ready to do that to this mixer. Point remains; bad meter is bad.

Is it just the channel strip though? Is it something else? Do I replace the symptom I see and the problem remains? I obviously don't know and don't know how to trouble shoot it.

• Members

The ZED stuff (of that size) is through hole and serviceable for a real service shop with troubleshooting skills. It is NOT a DIY proposition however. I rebuilt one for a forum member last year, I recall that it was a bigger model but I wouldn't expect that much different. I have shut down that aspect of my shop this year (as of June 30) because it's not particularly enjoyable nor profitable anymore, and I'm way too busy designing new gear.

Archived