QSC GX series as reserves

• Members

Greetings gents, long time no post :wave:

For reasons I'll leave unspoken, I parted ways with my collection of IPR amps and added about a half-dozen additional PLX series to my inventory. I have a full compliment for all expected deployments but want a couple in reserve. What is the consensus of the GX series amps in terms of proven reliability ? I could save a bit of cash going with these over more PLX's but I don't want further issues so money isn't really the controlling factor. Power wise, I can see use for both a GX3 & 5 but they have to be as dependable as PLX's...............are they ?

• Members

I'd have no issue using GX over PLX. The power advantage seems to be in stereo 8ohm operation, some amps put out more in 4 ohm than these do but that really isn't much of a factor IMHO. GX also has a crossover in it which can be helpful in a pinch.

FWIW I sold some PLXs to buy IPR5000s. It's a step up in power and lighter too. Plus a warranty helps.

• CMS Author

Well, I'll say this...When I reviewed the PLD4.5, it took three tries for QSC to get me a working amp. When I reviewed the GX, the shipper, who shall remain nameless, destroyed the box. The amp took a hard fall, enough to bend one of the mounting flanges significantly. The amp fired right up, never skipped a beat.

When I review amps and powered speakers, I typically leave them running much of the time I have them. That's hundreds of hours...the PLD has an hour meter (nice!) and had over 400 hours. No problems.

Archived