I'd love one of these but....

• Members

I've never owned a Carvin piece. This would be a handy item for monitor mixes, especially since they're run from FOH with a SL2442 mixer. Light, small pack. redundancy..

4 500 watt amp channels in two spaces, 10 lbs.. perfect idea for the smaller gigs I send out a system to, or do myself. Even two mains and two mon mixes type gigs.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM2004L

• Members

I'll take the one with DSP built in. Make some quick presets for my passive wedges and I'd be GTG.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM2004LX

I like the idea of the DSP and using it for monitors. I do wish it had a network jack for running multiple amps in a cohesive system. I've been running Rane MA-6 amps in my basic monitor rack for awhile now, but they're a little long in the tooth and should be moved to a rehearsal system and replaced.

• Members

I can manage without the $150 DSP for what I would use that amp for... especially if you'd need a laptop to really make it functional.

I used a QSC CX404 for many years for just this purpose... 400W@4ohms x4. Was busy with other projects and not gigging so I sold off most of my big PA gear that was just gathering dust... and OF COURSE got the ask 3 months later to run sound for the band I'm with now... wishing I had that amp and several other pieces back ATM. Lesson? NEVER... SELL... ANYTHING!!! lol

• Members

I have 3 monitor racks built, two with QSC Pl3402 amps and dual 31 band EQs, then a smaller rack(that is a mains rack for passive systems too) with a Peavey IPR and a dual 15 band. The big racks are just that, too big for the small gigs. The Peavey rack is small, light and sounds good. There are many small gigs, 100-300 people gigs that I do with the Yamaha Club monitors. 300 watts..or 250 per cab on paralleled cabs is about right. EQs are typically in the SL1602 or 2442 I've been taking or sending. I could also see this one amp being able to do a two mains, two monitors gig pretty well. 10 lbs!

• Members

I bought one 2 years ago and it's in a small 6sp with 2 dbx 231s. It's excellent for what it does! Goes out all he time for 4 mix gigs paired with an FOH power amp rack. And it'll do stereo plus 2 mixes. It was stolen and gone for 8 months and I bought a carving dcm 1204 as a replacement. 200w/8 ohms and it's a ballsy amp! I've done tons of gigs with both amps and output wise they sound the same but the input sensitivity is higher in the 1204 (.77v?). If I had the $ I'd replace all my monitor amps with the 2004, it's that good.

• Members
I too was looking at this amp - for the same reasons, but held off thinking it would not really be enough power. All my wedges and even most of my speakers are all 8ohm. So is 300 watts per channel enough for you?
For close up monitors - even fairly inefficient ones - they still get louder than is "ear safe" IME. I bought one of these a while back to replace my two IPR-1600's but haven't swapped over yet. In the past I've run RMX850's which put about 150w into two monitors per channel and it was plenty, no limiting noted in normal use. FWIW with crappy 93dB/1W/1M monitors 150w calculates out at 110dB peak at 6 feet - plenty to abuse your ears ;) .

• Members

I agree. 300 watts can be a bit on the slim side for a bigger concert and acts that want drums in their wedges. But, I wouldn't take the Carvin. For my yamaha clubs, this seems perfect. Might be god for distributed satellite speaker rigs, which i do a handful each year

• Members
For close up monitors - even fairly inefficient ones - they still get louder than is "ear safe" IME. I bought one of these a while back to replace my two IPR-1600's but haven't swapped over yet. In the past I've run RMX850's which put about 150w into two monitors per channel and it was plenty, no limiting noted in normal use. FWIW with crappy 93dB/1W/1M monitors 150w calculates out at 110dB peak at 6 feet - plenty to abuse your ears ;) .

What?.... WHAT?...sadly most of the guys I work with are beyond deaf. :(

• Members
What?.... WHAT?...sadly most of the guys I work with are beyond deaf. :(
I have eight monitors so I'll put a pair on the deaf guy(s) :cool: . IME that works better than one stoopid loud one anyways - you can spread them so they are pointed at their ears instead of their foreheads and that also gets them into the nulls of a supercardioid mic :) .

Archived