Getting back in the game and cover material

Gozer

• Members

I've been off from gigging with bands for about two years.  I did a blues-rock band, an original band, and a cover band.  All were fun, but due to a number of issues, I am sticking to a duo or trio right now.  Most the clubs we want to play welcome just about anything.

I am bad at writing music.  Like really bad.  We'd like to do covers.  I am torn between doing all relatively popular covers, mostly obscure covers, or a combo of both.  We want to make fun and good music - so it isn't really jam based or anything, but I guess I am unsure of myself more than anything.  As most the venues are laid back and intimate, I think an eclectic mix of mostly covers would work.  Am I way off base if our goal is small 50-100 people clubs for $100 a night?  The music would all be rock by almost all easily recognized artists, but there'd be some curveballs people wouldn't know...really good SONGS that I can sing really well and we can play well.  Not stuff just to jam, etc.

• Members

Minimum of 150! I have done first time shows for 100, but that's just to get in the door and I let owners know that is basically the "try us out" price.

As far a music, if you're like me and pretty much hate most pop radio friendly tunes or typical covers, it can be a harder sell. But I have found that if you LOVE to play your own choice in music, is goes over just fine. In fact I have turned a lot of people on to some really obscure music for the area.

One thing to keep in mind though, pay attention to requests a lot more. And add them to your set list. Also, be able to play a few requests off the cuff. You should be able to rock a few popular tunes for folks. Makes them very happy!

Kinda silly rule of thumb I have is for every two songs you think people might not know, play a popular one.

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Kinda silly rule of thumb I have is for every two songs you think people might not know, play a popular one.

My silly rule is that for ever 20 songs that are popular, play one that they might not know. 

• Members

moogerfooger wrote:

just my two cents, but doing 
obscure music is not a real money making approach. 

I cannot convince my group this is correct.

"But, I don't want us to sound like every other band out there!"

Every other band would total about seven... :smileyfrustrated:

Archived