Overbid JP-8000?

Gribs

• Members

Yeah, that's a bit much for the current batch out there. I got mine last month for about $500, and it's in perfect condition.

However, after messin' with it a bunch it's easily worth $1000 if it's in good shape. What a cool board, especially for the time it was released.

• Members

That's because it's Australia.

Recently in Australia one sold for 930 or so and another for 750

so thats the price hat.

Here in the USA, I got mine brand-new for $900 total when they were closing them out.... a used one nowadays ought go for $500 or so given the inevitable wear & tear and the fact that brand-new stuff that's at least the equal of the JP is available for $700-800.

• Members

There seems to be a demand for decent out-of-production VA's, especially the kind with plenty of knobs and sliders. Maybe it has something to do with winter boredom. That (oh yeah, and lack of sex) is why I was out surfing the bay.

I think if the temp stays above the balmy 18 F (-8 C) it was the AM then I will take a walk this afternoon.

• Members

Yeah but the 8080 sounds better and you can get those for under $600

That can be true. "sounds better" is purely subjective in this comparison. Everything is a trade-off - a compromise. The JP-8080 has some things to offer that the JP-8000 lacks. Coming along afterwards, that's to be expected. However, the JP-8000 seems to project (at least to some) this aura of "play me" "tweak me" that isn't transferable to the 8080 due to the simple fact that it's detached from the keyboard. The Roland stick, ribbon controller, buttons, sliders, and dials laid out logically all over it just scream "PLAY ME" and bring performance controllability to the game that is hard to match. We can debate endlessly how other synths just "blow the JP-8000 out of the water" or "JP-8000 sounds thin and brittle." Yea, so what? It's all a matter of what you like and what you don't like and you will never know by sitting on your backside reading this forum. I like mine a LOT. Although I'd love to play with a vocoder and I've considered "trading up" to an 8080, it hasn't happened yet and probably will not ever happen because the 8080 is not integrated to the keyboard.

...my worthless $0.02

• Members

Well, that guys an idiot and so is the other guy that didn't think he'd bid that high. Nevermind that comment.

Everyone here got there's for $450 or so. We already know the story of ebay.

The seller had his siblings jack the price up. Only to sell it later for that price under a siblings name once we all SEE (and seeing is believing :rolleyes:) what a recent JP8000 went for. Ebay's going downhill.

I'm still wondering how many idiots are out there on ebay, like a deer in headlights. :poke:

• Members

Guess I'm not demanding enough of synth producers. What's wrong with the JP8000's filters?

The design was good what let me down was the filter, Roland can do better.

My only issue with the board is the obvious aliasing in the highest 2 octaves. But given all the positive attributes, I can live with that; it mostly means I have to avoid bending notes in the upper registers.

• Members

I guess it's like most things. Either you love them or hate them.

Kind of like reality TV.

I never played with one until last year, and a friend was talking it up seriously. I was immediately hooked. Sure it's not perfect, but what synth is?

All of my gear has some type of shortcoming, but it's the "greater than the sum of its parts" thing that's most important.

Some people just like to be negative. Way too much nit-picking going on around here... :cop:

• Members

exactly

I'm so sick of the analog snobbery (much worse on vintagesynth forums) - "That synth sounds like {censored}e because the filter doesn't sound analog." SO WHAT!>!?!?! If you don't like it, that's FINE. If someone does like it, THAT'S FINE TOO. Get over it. People are different. Acknowledge that and get on with your lives. :poke: :poke: :poke:

Archived