Anyone use MicroKorg? good for Digital Hardcore/electro punk? noob here

• Members

am wanting to talk to people that know something about that MicroKorg that runs about 399.99USD

i have been looking at all my options and this MicroKorg looks great. however all i ever hear people really make with it is, dance, techno, trance....ect ect...

what am wanting todo is a solo project. and well i dont know much about synths i have been playing around with VTS well i dont like it ...am a touchy guy i like to get my hands dirty,

well i do compose on the pc (drums/effects) its missing that distort...its missing that power and this synth looks like it might do that for me however i want to hear from people that have exp with it.

you know Atari Teenage Riot? or any other Digital hardcore bands? am looking for that raw powerful sound. i think ill keep drums from the pc...well anyway

if someone can chat with me about this sometime on msn, yahoo or aol it would be a great help.

thank you for reading, i hope it wasent too painful....

• Members

If you want to do any music that's not the most in thing, it's important to disregard what everyone else uses an instrument for. Any synth can do more than what "everyone" uses it for. The MK is probably capable of doing what you want, but you can't do many kinds of sounds at the same time with it, and having outboard effects to wreck its output is probably key to the kind of sounds you're after. Experimentation and breaking rules is more important in those genres, which only a few exotic boutiques cater to when designing instruments.

I suggest looking for a used MK and a used drum machine like a Korg EA-1, as well as picking up a distortion pedal or two. You can do a ton with a small setup like that.

• Members

Based only on what you've said, a $399 Microkorg is probably the worst choice for you.

The Novation X-Station 25/49/61 will be much better. The X-Station will save you money too, because a $399 Microkorg plus a $200 USB I/O box is more expensive, since the X-Station can do both jobs, and it has a much better keyboard, lots of knobs and controls, and is a superb midi controller for DAW software and softsynths.

• Members

however all i ever hear people really make with it is, dance, techno, trance....ect ect...

There are no trance synths, there are no techno synths - it doesn't care what you do with it.

well i do compose on the pc (drums/effects) its missing that distort...

You're missing this: http://d16.pl/index.php?menu=183

you know Atari Teenage Riot? or any other Digital hardcore bands?

ATR has used the TR909 and the TB303 as well as the SH101 if I'm not misinformed. Mostly because they were dirt cheap at that time. That's pretty typical for acid and techno - not digital hardcore.

However, add a ton of distortion in the shape of several guitar stompboxes, and you get a lot closer. Sample the sounds that come out of it and warp those further, and you get closer again. See how the gear doesn't matter?

I second the X-station recommendation if you are going to need more gear anyway.

• Members

wow all of this is blowing my mind. i guess iwant todo something powerful yet simple, cause the voice will have a big effect am just trying to do it with my only real choice here in this horribly city of mexico, am stuck in.

the pickings are VERY slim....i was lucky to find even a micro korg . sadly i dont plan on doing EVERYTHING live . live will just be synth / voice. the drums and some effects will be off playback. i know its not the best way todo it , but its all i got

i guess my real question is can i get the sound out of the MK to suite a digital hardcore/industral sound ?

i know no synth is for one thing. i was just saying thats all i heard people play. there for doubting if i should buy it as i havent heard one industral/digital hardcore demo with it yet

>(

• Members

i guess my real question is can i get the sound out of the MK to suite a digital hardcore/industral sound ?

Go check http://www.synthmania.com/microkorg.htm - and especially the bass sounds. It's got distortion on board, but pretty much every synth's on-board distortion isn't as good as hooking up a guitar stompbox (which is what ATR did).

I assume you've got more choice for those where you live, so if you can convince the store owner to connect 'm to see what you can get, I'd try that :).

• Members

Anyone who intends to pay $399 for a Microkorg at this point should be strapped into a straightjacket and thrown into a padded room to prevent further injury to himself/herself. There are plenty of used MKs available for $200-$300. Since the Microkorg XL and R3 are at most $100-$200 more, or even less as used, buying those are much more sane.

• Members

i'd third the x station, or even get a k station. there's something nice and cold about it that distorts extremely well.

the only thing i can find here and in my price range is the "Novation Xio 25" would u suggest that over the microKorg? also there are VERY few choices here. they mostly only sell pianos from all the music stores i went to.

in this town (toluca) in the whole damn city only one store evey carrys microKorgs and even they have to 3day order them

EDIT

damn it scratch that....its just a midi controler it seems.......(the one i found for sale where i live)

okay am still looking at this microkorg as my only option....i do have a metal Zone guitar pedal if that helps on the distortion aspect BUT

if i hook a pedal up, wont it effect all the sounds comming out? what if i wanna distrort this bass but not this piano? blah blah?

• Members

the xio is a synth in the same line as the A,K,X stations.. it has a synth engine, and like the X station, features tons of controller feature. It's both.. check it out again :thu:

if i hook a pedal up, wont it effect all the sounds comming out?

yes, i'm 99% none of those synths have multiple outs. you'd have to invest in a multi track recorder or program (cubase, ableton live ect) that would let you record one sound at a time into a performance. or you'd want to look at an all in one type work station with multiple outs and a sequencer on board perhaps.

• Members

Yes, a distortion pedal will affect all sounds coming out of the keyboard.

I grew up in Argentina, so I feel your pain about gear being super-expensive and hard to find.

I would recommend asking your music teacher -- he probably has been around for some time and knows a thing or two about buying instruments in your particular city. (And if you don't have a teacher, get one ASAP, that's all I can say.)

If you are only starting up, I wouldn't care too much about the getting the exact sound of this or that band. I'm sure the Microkorg can get you in the ballpark. And if you are playing live or recording a demo, that's all you need.

Finally, if you are going to play with a computer, you can do a lot inside the box -- instruments, effects -- lots of free software available too, it's insane. Check out the kvraudio site for lots of info on music software.

Sorry if you already know all of this. When I was a noob there was no internet, so I stayed clueless for years and years. (I would say my two biggest mistakes were 1) thinking I was too punk-rock for music lessons and 2) thinking I was too punk-rock for playing cumbia. If you are just starting with music, please don't make these 2 mistakes.)

Mucha suerte con tu musica!

• Members

Go to the Guitar Center Used Gear list.

There's a used X-Station 25 listed at the Guitar Center in Marietta, Georgia for $175. There are others listed too, one for $220 in Knoxville, Tennessee and another for $250 in Raleigh, North Carolina.

• Members

... pretty much every synth's on-board distortion isn't as good as hooking up a guitar stompbox (which is what ATR did).

actually they really didn't (well, not on the first album). the synth parts on the ATR stuff was pretty dry. the first album was done with mainly a Juno-106, TR-909 (this was distorted a lot of the time), and a mix of S-1000/1100 and Casio FZ-1 (actually the Hohner HS-1 which is the same thing) for samples. a lot of the vocals and drums were generally pretty dry, with most of the grit coming from sampled guitar riffs. by the second album Nic Endo was doing a lot of harsh background stuff using an SH-101 or Nord Lead (probably with some outboard distortion, can't recall as this album blew and i dumped it years ago).

Patric Catani (EC8OR) used a ProCo RAT distortion, but his sound was mainly driven by the grit of the Amiga sampling engine.

basically, i'd say distortion in general isn't as much a part of the 'Digital Hardcore sound' as a lot of people make it out to be...

• Members

am also really love

Industrial Rock

Darkwave/Industrial

Dark Electro

Harsh EBM

EBM

Post Punk

SOME Synthpop

Dark Ambient

Noise-Industrial

but i hate

Dance

Techno

house

trance

jungle....

ect ect ect

i know that a lot of music styles i love have heavy infulences of stuff i hate....but hell thats how i feel....

i just want to know if this microKorg will let me play with these styles and let me find my own sound

EDIT

i did find a XioSynth 25 key for a lil less....so that would be the winner?

• Members

Sorry, the Microkorg has no presets for that. It also doesn't have a sound finding function.

The Microkorg XL editor software has a random button on it, so if you press it enough times, it might find your sound for you.

Maybe there's a Mexican Microkorg owner around here who can help better.

• Members

We dig TV we dig remote control,

We dig the Furry Freak Brothers and the Twilight Zone,

We dig Marvel

and D.C., we dig Run-DMC,

We dig Renegade Soundwave and AC/DC

(Can U dig it?)

Bruce Wayne auf weidersehn,

Dirty Harry, "Make my day,"

Terminator, hit the north,

Alan Moore knows the score,

Riffs? Yeah! Can U dig it?

Riffs? Yeah! Can U dig it?

We dig Optimus Prime and not Galvetron,

We dig "The Leader of the Pack" and the "Do-Run-Run",

Spinderella and Bruce Lee, "The Bad and the Ugly",

"V for Vendetta" and "Into the Groovy".

(Can U dig it?)

• Members

am also really love

Industrial Rock

Darkwave/Industrial

Dark Electro

Harsh EBM

EBM

Post Punk

SOME Synthpop

Dark Ambient

Noise-Industrial

but i hate

Dance

Techno

house

trance

jungle....

ect ect ect

i know that a lot of music styles i love have heavy infulences of stuff i hate....but hell thats how i feel....

i just want to know if this microKorg will let me play with these styles and let me find my own sound

EDIT

i did find a XioSynth 25 key for a lil less....so that would be the winner?

What's funny is EBM is basically danceable Industrial. I'd stay away from Thomas Heckmann and Terence Fixmer then.

Archived