Asking for Suggestions on which keyboard to buy (Yes, another thread, I'm sorry)

• Members

Hello everyone. I currently have a Kurzweil SP88x fully weighted stage piano. I use it at home and the occasional gig. While I like the fully weighted keys it is a big pain to haul around. I played on a D-50 and I liked the lighter weight and the additional sounds. What I am thinking of doing is selling my Kurzweil and buying a 76 key workstation with the proceeds. I am willing to give up the fully weighted keys to be able to move it and have access to more sounds. I figure I can get around $600 for the Kurzweil and so that is what my budget will be for the new synth.

Do you guys have any recomendations on a good synth? Here is a general list I came up with to search on craiglist/ebay.

? Roland XP-80

? Roland FA-76

? Roland XV

? Fantom x7

? KORG TRITON LE

? Yamaha Motif 7

The latter are looking a little out of my price range. There are a lot of good reviews about the xp-80 even though it is a late 1990's board. I would sure appreciate any advice you can give me.

• Members

? Roland XP-80

? Roland FA-76

? Roland XV

? Fantom x7

? KORG TRITON LE

? Yamaha Motif 7

I would add to that list:

Korg Triton Classic 76

Korg TR 76 (you might squeeze one)

If you could stretch to a bit more then look at used:

Roland Juno Stage

Korg M50 (which looks like its becoming 'the' portable fav by all accounts)

btw, the Roland XV88 (think thats what you mean't) is possibly a tad on the heavy side for what you want.

• Members

FWIW, you mentioned budget, did your research, and had a non-stupid title so there's absolutely nothing wrong with another thread :).

If we take these separately:

The XV88 has weighted keys and is even more bulkier than your Kurzweil; any other Roland board starting with XV is most likely a module (i.e. no keys).

The Roland Fantom series represent an evolution from the older XP-boards; in other words, when you can spring for the X7, you don't even have to consider the older FA-76 and XP-80, because the X7 can do all that and more.

? KORG TRITON LE

? Yamaha Motif 7

If you have the Motif 7 (older) and X7 (far more recent) in there, the LE looks kind of weak (and the M50 would indeed be better). As for the suggested Juno Stage; the X7 does everything it does.

The latter are looking a little out of my price range. There are a lot of good reviews about the xp-80 even though it is a late 1990's board. I would sure appreciate any advice you can give me.

• Members

I have removed the xv88 and updated the list to this:

? Korg M50 - 73 Key

? Yamaha motif 7

? Fantom x7

? Roland Juno Stage

? Korg Triton Classic 76

? Korg TR 76

? Roland FA-76

? Roland XP-80

? Roland JV90

I've decided to arrange it from wishful thinking budget wise to more reasonable. Thanks for all your good advice. You have suggested some good models I haven't even run across yet in my searching.

• Members

Fantom X7 or Motif 7 will likely be your best bets...

Good luck on the search for a used M50-73 in that price range...it's a fairly new keyboard that is quite good. It'll be hard to find used ones.

I personally prefer the sounds of the Motif over those in the Fantom (especially the pianos), but the interface and upgrade-ability of the X7 make it a more exciting instrument.

• Members

blurry those are all quite contrasting in prices

i assume u require good pianos, hammonds, e-pianos and strings?

Yeah, I have been busying scouring ebay and craiglist and I am getting pretty disappointed thinking I can find something in my price range. If I am lucky I might be able to find a Motif 7 for ~$750.

For the church band I would want good pianos and strings, for home I am looking for playing a mix of newer rock and classic rock.

Not to change the topic too much but is there anywhere else you guys recommend to find a deal on a keyboard other than ebay and craigslist?

Do you think I will regret it later if I end up getting a xp-80 for $500?

Archived