Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the smalles REAL hammond?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An M-3 is the smallest real Hammond worth playing, but it does not sound the same as a B-3, C-3, or A-100. Biggest difference is missing high drawbar tones at the top of the keyboard.
    Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

Sure, if that's what you want.

But, do the world a favor and chop an A-102 instead. It's a shame to saw up an actual B or C cabinet.

NOOOO!!! leave those poor helpless French Provincial cabinets alone.

Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Any help appreciated...I don't wanna go to Amps, as I don't have any condoms

Originally Posted by Greedo

yorga is wise and built like a refrigerator

Comment

I'd love to chop my M3. I hate the grandma's spinet look with the speaker inside. I have a friend with a chopped M3 from the 70's. There's something so much cooler about it than mine.
        Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

The smallest real Hammond worth playing is the M-3. Case closed.

The Porta-B is pretty much an M-3, pre-chopped.

Although only one manual, I thought this was a really cool chop of an M3, too:

Though if I was going to go through the effort to bring a "real" tonewheel Hammond and Leslie, I'd want 2 manuals of 61 keys (and roadies, of course). If it's that important to be authentic, might as well go all the way. The 44-key boards are pretty limiting.

Comment

The Porta-B is pretty much an M-3, pre-chopped.

no. it's a portabilised T-100.

also anyone bitching about the weight of a Hammond needs to stop bitching or just buy a Triton LE because that's pretty lightweight and **************** it has like 1000 sounds in it.

good sound is heavy. get over it. if you haven't gigged an organ, bench, pedalboard, and leslie by yourself out of a minivan then you just haven't lived. that's the way it goes.

also there is an organist named Chester Thompson and a drummer named Chester Thompson. they were once in the same Santana band. i wish i could have seen that tour.

i think they should find a guitarist named Chester Thompson as well and create a band called CT3. this would be the most amazing band since Attila, and ideas like this are why i need to be a high-powered record producer.
            main: http://suitandtieguy.com
            Lawrence Miles style rants: http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com
            handbuilt boutique synthesiser modules: http://stgsoundlabs.com
            my digital albums: http://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com

Comment

I'd love to chop my M3. I hate the grandma's spinet look with the speaker inside. I have a friend with a chopped M3 from the 70's. There's something so much cooler about it than mine.
              I'll bet it sounds dandy through the MotionSound. But you don't really lug it around to gigs, do you? I admit, in the late 70s I chopped an L100 and an M3, but that was out of necessity. I really like the homely, butt-ugly looks of the M3. It doesn't remind me of Granny at all, rather someone's Weird Old Uncle Horace. And I know you're aware that chopping doesn't save much weight. But if you just have to change it because of it's looks, try this:

ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Now that's cool!
                Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

1.- Soo why don't they sell real chopped hammonds?
                  2.- Can all hammonds be chopped?

maybe also replace the sides with a less heavy material? look
                  for the most ways to make it less heavy
                  Guess what? ! I have a Fever and the prescription is more cowbell !

Moog Modular,B3 leslie,gran piano, GX1

Comment

Now that's cool!
                    It is amusing. I copped those pix a few years ago from an ebay ad. The organ wasn't for sale, the guy was selling plans for the woodworking. Iirc, he claimed that you didn't have to buy any additional wood, but it seems you'd at least have to get two more legs.
                    ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Shoemakers wear the worst shoes.
                      You left your ISO on Auto. That's a no-no.
                      Click here to search HC forums.
                      SoundClick
                      SoundCloud
                      YouTube

Comment

look for the most ways to make it less heavy
                        They did. The last Hammond with a tonewheel generator and metal manuals rolled off the line in 1975. The laws of economics dictate that no one will ever make them again. Unless having one onstage is part of your mystique, like S&TG or Joey DeFrancesco, you should be perfectly well served by a good clonewheel. If you're like lots of us that just really like the total Hammond behemoth wooden console flashing thyratron hot oil and ozone smell experience, get one and leave it at home. The chopped ones are ugly.
                        ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

REPORTED!
                          ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

The chopped ones are ugly.

I find the Oakland Chop quite lovely.

Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

That one's pretty nice, although I'm not too fond of the ironing board legs. I guess I should have said "Compared to the original wooden cabinetry, the chops are ugly". And yes, there are some one-off chops that are quite nifty, and yes, I include yours in that class. Or was that a controller only, without the TG?
                              ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

The ironing board kegs probably fold up underneath it. Yeah, they look a little funny. The rear legs on that M3 mod probably expect you to lathe them yourself from the existing cabinetry.

Comment

Working...
                                X