Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you use the New Rhodes Mark VII as a midi controller for Live And studio?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you use the New Rhodes Mark VII as a midi controller for Live And studio?

I had this Idea to use it as a midi controller in studio and live situation
    but still at the moment not posible for me to try it out.

Would love to read your comments
    Guess what? ! I have a Fever and the prescription is more cowbell !

Moog Modular,B3 leslie,gran piano, GX1

If I had lots of extra money lying around, yes, I'd use one - the 88 version - for the studio. For live, not so much, except when there are roadies available because I'm not carrying that thing by myself. I'd love to test the poly aftertouch.

Comment

Would you prefer that to a kursweil pc3k 88 or motif XF keybead?

Comment

Nobody loves analogue or the Rhodes more than me. But using the new Rhodes as a controller and for playing live seems excessive to me. I suppose it depends on the style of music and whatnot. My favorite instrument on earth is the Rhodes, but if you're playing rock, a tube driven wurli is a million times better for piano. Too many compromises when it comes to playing live. Just use a hammer action controller. Most people don't care anyway. Why spend 5 grand on a piano just to beat the crap out of it moving it in and out of your wife's station wagon every weekend?
        Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

i still have my guns to this day, no problem with the weight ,i would also use it as a sound source but my questions was more focused on the feel of the action

Comment

Would you prefer that to a kursweil pc3k 88 or motif XF keybead?

I'd have to try all three keyboards first. Keyboard action and how the sounds respond to the players touch are such personal things. I was in a room with several keyboard players all trying out, for example, the Nord Electro 3. Half of them loved the the response of the piano sounds to their touch and the other half did not.

Comment

Wouldn't it be really annoying to listen to the internal sound of the Rhodes all the time, while using it to control, say, drums, brass or strings?
              Or can they be muted on the newer models?
              www.guslozada.com

Comment

Wouldn't it be really annoying to listen to the internal sound of the Rhodes all the time, while using it to control, say, drums, brass or strings?
                Or can they be muted on the newer models?

According to this picture, it has a headphone out. So plugging a stereo plug should mute it

P.S: gotta love those balanced audio outputs!

Shoemakers wear the worst shoes.
                You left your ISO on Auto. That's a no-no.
                Click here to search HC forums.
                SoundClick
                SoundCloud
                YouTube

Comment

... but doesn't a Rhodes generate an actual sound without amplification?
                  www.guslozada.com

Comment

lol Gus, I know nothing about these pianos but I see it's got audio outputs and no built-in speakers, so I assume plugging a 1/4" stereo plug will mute it.
                    SoundClick
                    SoundCloud
                    YouTube

Comment

It's supposed to be a mechanical piano with amplification. So, I think that playing anything else but Rhodes sounds would be annoying.
                      www.guslozada.com

Comment

If the volume's all the way down, you can barely hear it in a quiet room.
                        ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

lol, I am totally confused now.

Where is the sound coming from in this vid? From an amp the keyboard is connected to [see cable] or from the board itself mechanically?

If there is a volume knob, doesn't that mean it's electrical?

SoundClick
                          SoundCloud
                          YouTube

Comment

Gus,
                            we see what you're driving at ...
                            but pretty sure one isn't going to hear what you're driving at.

Unlike, say, a Yamaha CP-60M, whose strings being struck by the hammers as you play can actually be heard - even while MIDI'ing Out to another keyboard/module - the Rhodes' acoustic sound is very faint (or, if you will ... tiney )

and, Mediterranean,
                            you wonder "Where is the sound coming from in this vid? From an amp the keyboard is connected to [see cable] ... ?" You got it. Of course it's electrical (for the tiney pickups and the pre-amp and front-panel volume and EQ controls). The Rhodes doesn't have built-in speakers, so that's all you need to line out to (and control) an exterior amp/speaker system.

Comment

I know it's "tiney"

... but the ones I've played, the actual mechanical "tiney" sound would make it an annoying MIDI controller... just saying. Perhaps those ones belonged to a very old generation and had more notorious sound by their own (before being connected to whatever amplification system).

I may be wrong, anyway

... but I do remember clearly playing a Wurly, too, whose sound was pretty loud, without being connected to an amp.
                              www.guslozada.com

Comment

Working...
                              X