No announcement yet.

M-Audio BX5a Monitors $199/pair at Sam Ash

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Audio BX5a Monitors $199/pair at Sam Ash

Apparently M-Audio has an updated model. These had been $199 ea., found them at a local Chicago-area Sam Ash for 50% off. (I love a good deal.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-studiophile-bx5a-deluxe-active-monitors

-------------------------------
    Michael
    Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
    27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
    http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

the link says $150 per pair. good deal . I had the ESI nEar05, exactly the same, didn't liked them. But for $150, totally recommended

Comment

the link says $150 per pair. good deal .

Yes, I see that Musicians Friend has added a "sale today" of an extra $150 off, making it a really good deal online. I just purchased a pair from MF and will return the ones I have now to Sam Ash.

Obviously retailers are closing these things out... bargains to be had!
      Michael

Comment

WOW, $150 a pair for low end pro reference monitors is a very good deal!

Comment

Maybe I have tin ears, but I like the way these sound. I've been listening to various selections from my iTunes library on them and am impressed. My keys sound very nice as well.

I listened to a ton of different monitors at the store today. I spent a lot of time listening to the Yamaha HS50m's. They are FLAT as flat can be. I think if you can make you mix sound good on a pair of those, it'll sound good on anything. Maybe if I was a "pro" I'd want those, but most of the time I just want to play my synths and have them sound nice through the monitors. These BX5a speakers provide enough color so that I don't feel as though I am playing through something as dull as cardboard.

Michael

Comment

I like mine. I use a Tannoy sub with them.
            ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Yes it would not hurt to have 2 different reference monitors at some point. M-audio still have a sub?

Comment

My buddy's got the BX5as, I have HS50ms, and his roomate has the 8" version of the HS. I prefer the Yamahas over all, really for anything. The BXs have coloration to the point of almost a squashed sound (as if that makes any sense). It's hard to explain, but I'm not a fan. I would rather have 8" model for bass response alone, but paired with a sub and set up well, the 50s do a great job for mixing.

Still, $150 a pair? $300 and a sub for the new home theater?
                Yamaha MOX8 | E-Mu Emax (SE Upgrade) | Yamaha RX11 | Yamaha TG33 | Yamaha DX7 | Roland Alpha Juno | Roland D50 | Roland JV-2080 | Korg DDD-1 | Oberheim DMX (w/ Factory MIDI)
                MacBook Pro (Core i7) | Zoom R-16 | Yamaha HSM-50s | Cubase 5 | Ableton Live Intro | Novation Launchpad

Video Home System - 80s/Synthpop/Electronic
                Tumblr
                Facebook
                Twitter

Comment

Yes you will not get the 8" Yammi's for that price; but I agree about the mixing portion.

Comment

for less than $200 fine yes

Comment

that's cool, I have the older dx4s and like them. You can't crank them but for general listening and for mixing functions they're pretty darn flat.
                      My web page of weird albums...I have chuck woolery! http://www.weirdalbums.herobo.com

Comment

Wow, that looks like a Yamaha MoX. Congratulations!

What do you think of 1.) its keys when playing piano [obvisouly it's a synth-action board], but is the feel "heavy" enough in that you don't feel like you're playing piano on a "toy"? 2.) its rather limited polyphony [64 voices max] 3.) the lack of aftertouch, 4.) its onboard audio interface [if you use it]

But most importantly, do you see yourself making songs entirely on it? In other words, do you like the sounds in general?
                        Thanks a lot!
                        Shoemakers wear the worst shoes.
                        You left your ISO on Auto. That's a no-no.
                        Click here to search HC forums.
                        SoundClick
                        SoundCloud
                        YouTube

Comment

But most importantly, do you see yourself making songs entirely on it? In other words, do you like the sounds in general?
                          Thanks a lot!

And how is the keyboard compared to original Motif? I see you've had one of those also. In my opinion the keyboard of the first Motif is the best synth-action keyboard I've tried.

Comment

i've tried it briefly.

something like this

Motif > MOX > Korg M50

so it's fine keyboard

Comment

This might go against the grain a little, but I actually prefer the keybed action of the MOX over the Motif. I guess I more of a fan of synth action in general.
                              Studio: Moog Slim Phatty - Alchemy - Yamaha Mox6 - Roland Gaia - Dave Smith Instruments Mopho - GSI Burn - VB3
                              Live:
                              Samson Graphite controller - SM Pro V-Machine - Mackie SRM 450 v3

Comment

Working...
                              X