Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry as in, it suck too much of the high frequencies and does nothing to mids and lows, resulting in muddy and crappy sound. "nauseating" sound
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"></font></div>

Comment

Close/appropriate mic'ing would capture whatever the sound is. Plugins would then "dress" the sound. (?) :idk:
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">
      <div class="bbcode_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote">
      <div class="quote_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

Close/appropriate mic'ing would capture whatever the sound is. Plugins would then "dress" the sound. (?) :idk:

Sure if you don't what natural room ambience. When recording drums close micing is not always preferred plus overheads and especially room mics need a nice sounding room to have something worth recording. This also applies to most acoustic instruments and even combo guitar amps that have an open back. Most of the low frequencies of a combo amp come from the back. Close micing will not capture the back hence the need of a good sounding room.

Comment

Then too given the state of digital audio, dry, anechoic sound might be just the thing?

It's just the opposite which is why the resurgence of tube gear. Tubes add the warmth that digital is missing. Of course if you like a dry, anechoic sound then that is your choice but, not mine.

Comment

Thanks for the fabric source, Burster! I didn't really want to use burlap, no offense, Paolo.

So, OK: make panels from dense fiberglass panels... Should they be offset from the walls to leave a gap, or not? And if so, how deep should the gap be?
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

. Most of the low frequencies of a combo amp come from the back. Close micing will not capture the back hence the need of a good sounding room.

I always roll off the lows at 200 on guitars. If you are playing alone, it sounds good, but I don't find much space for it in a band mix. There is plenty of other information in that range.

But I digress...

I don't think old Scott is planing to record anything more than a line out of the space-vag and friends. I think his concerns are more directed towards playing in this room. He need to be able to monitor.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="White">.</font><br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              </div>

Comment

I agree with Clav... but I always roll off the low end during mixing and not on the mic itself. For some reason those roll-off positions on mics never sound right. And I'm talking mics like my beloved MD441.

EP: Until you get room treatment, get yourself a nice set of cans if you don't have them yet. They're not that expensive and you need cans anyway. I use the Q701s, they're like 200 and change and I think they're very very nice.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

Correct, Clav. I'm just trying to monitor un-live sources. No mic'ing of any kind, at least I don't have any plans to.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

It's just the opposite which is why the resurgence of tube gear. Tubes add the warmth that digital is missing. Of course if you like a dry, anechoic sound then that is your choice but, not mine.

Agree that a natural sounding environment is fundamental to mixing; just maybe not so much to tracking. Dry tracks maybe offer more potential for creative DAW ing.
                    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">
                    <div class="bbcode_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote">
                    <div class="quote_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

headphones? (oops that's already been covered)

I mean they certainly have their place, but I also understand about monitoring in a soundfield (unless you are making ipod mixes I suppose) - though with that room, having a couple of pair around is probably a really really good idea

gosh, it looks like just about ANYTHING you do will be an improvement...I don't mean that like an insult, I just mean it looks like you have a room that is a perfect storm of a lot of common problems.

since you are working all electronically, it does take some of the pressure off...and you get to worry about absorbtion instead of isolation (which a lot of our electric guitar & drum counterparts have to worry about)

give something a try - maybe shoot for "better" instead of worrying about "stellar" or perfect

If you have the room, you may want to start with the panels on floor stands (like room diviers) and move them around to get a feel for what they are doing

Comment

Oh, hai there. :wave:

Sooooooo teh new Casa de Puppy has a nice new studio room that I'm getting set up. So far, so good, But! I've set up my Rokits (w/ sub), and it totally sounds like ass in there. :cry: Reflection City, boomy bass. The room is 13 x 13 with a 9 foot ceiling, painted drywall with hardwood floor.

What do??

I know very little about how to approach acoustic room treatment, does anyone have any pointers? I suspect that lining the walls with cardboard egg cartons will earn me serious scorn from SWMBO, so that's out. :lol:

Suggestions? Thanks, y'all!

Without reading any further than the OP, and assuming you are as cheap as I am, go to Home Depot and look for cheap carpet remnants to hang on the wall.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="https://twitter.com/ArtScienceSound/status/208313686459293697" target="_blank"><font color="blue">&quot;I remember when dubstep was just called &quot;LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth&quot; in the '60s&quot; - Alan Parsons</font></a><br />
                        <br />
                        <font size="1">Kurzweil PC3<font size="2">♦</font></font><font size="1">Alesis Fusion 6HD</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QS7.1 (2)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QSR</font>♦<font size="1"> Alesis S4+</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis DMPRO</font>♦<font size="1">Evolution MK-461C</font>♦<font size="1">Rhodes Mark II Stage 73</font>♦<font size="1">Roland JX-8P</font>♦<font size="1">Kawai K1 &amp; K1m</font>♦<br />
                        <font size="1"> <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        </font></div>

Comment

Bill Porter (sound engineer)
                          Porter served for four years as the chief engineer under guitarist and producer Atkins.[3] Porter became the engineer big-name artists wanted to work with, and he was influential in creating the Nashville sound. Record producer Owen Bradley once asked Atkins how he got his sound, and Atkins said, "it was Bill Porter."[7] He recorded more than 579 records that charted
                          Hi Mom!

Comment

If I just hang carpet remnants on the walls, my wife will kill me. The room is right be the front door, so it's the first room you see into when you step inside. So it's going to have to at least look NICE.

I like the idea of putting them on some kind of stand and moving them around, though. And, no, I'm not shooting for perfect, just better.

Comment

If I just hang carpet remnants on the walls, my wife will kill me. The room is right by the front door, so it's the first room you see into when you step inside. So it's going to have to at least look NICE.

I like the idea of putting them on some kind of stand and moving them around, though. And, no, I'm not shooting for perfect, just better.

Comment

How about a couple of mobiles made from acoustic panels? You could colour them and everything. Is your beloved crafty?
                                Hi Mom!

Comment

• Working...
                                  X