Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

The Song That Should Have Made It

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Song That Should Have Made It

I was thinking the other day about songs that, to me, are so well made that by all indications they could have been hits. 

But great though they were, they didn't become hits, which is somewhat disillusioning and demotivating.

I realize there's no accounting for taste, and that one man's Beethoven is another man's Bieber, but what are your favorite songs that nobody really listened to?

Mine is Heathaze, by Genesis.  Just an amazing piece of songwriting by Tony Banks, and beautifully played.  It turns out that there's a small subculture of people on YouTube who love this song and have posted their own renditions of it (some of them quite good).

Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

I'll play!  I thought this would be a big hit:

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="https://twitter.com/ArtScienceSound/status/208313686459293697" target="_blank"><font color="blue">&quot;I remember when dubstep was just called &quot;LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth&quot; in the '60s&quot; - Alan Parsons</font></a><br />
    <br />
    <font size="1">Kurzweil PC3<font size="2">♦</font></font><font size="1">Alesis Fusion 6HD</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QS7.1 (2)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QSR</font>♦<font size="1"> Alesis S4+</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis DMPRO</font>♦<font size="1">Evolution MK-461C</font>♦<font size="1">Rhodes Mark II Stage 73</font>♦<font size="1">Roland JX-8P</font>♦<font size="1">Kawai K1 &amp; K1m</font>♦<br />
    <font size="1"> <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    </font></div>

Comment

• pogo97
      pogo97 commented
      Editing a comment

Very big hit in the Caribbean. But anywhere else? Not so much.

Warning! This video contains footage of pretty girls.

The songs that DID become hits from Duke, And Then There Were Three, ABACAB, and other Genesis albums from this time period were always the weakest song on the album, but I imagine that's what the suits at the record companies wanted. The rest of the album had amazing songs while the "hit" was always a let-down.

Anyway, yeah, "Heathaze" was a great song, actually sounds like something from their Wind & Wuthering period.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Roland JD-800, Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.</font></div>

Comment

• ElectricPuppy
      ElectricPuppy commented
      Editing a comment

Speaking of Wind and Wuthering, I think "Blood on the Rooftops" should have gotten more attention.  It's a great song.

• zoink
      zoink commented
      Editing a comment

ChipCurtis wrote:
      The songs that DID become hits from Duke, And Then There Were Three, ABACAB, and other Genesis albums from this time period were always the weakest song on the album, but I imagine that's what the suits at the record companies wanted. The rest of the album had amazing songs while the "hit" was always a let-down.

Anyway, yeah, "Heathaze" was a great song, actually sounds like something from their Wind & Wuthering period.

It's so true.  Duke had songs like Heathaze, Man Of Our Times, Behind the Lines, Please Don't Ask, Duchess, Alone Tonight, and Guide Vocal.  GREAT songs.  And what received air play?  Misunderstanding (and to a lesser degree, Turn It On Again). 

And Then There Were Three is another good example.  Follow You Follow Me was the only one that got any radio play as I recall, while The Lady Lies, Say It's Alright Joe, Undertow, Snowbound, Many Too Many, and Burning Rope were all passed over.

It's just amazing to me.  I remember 30+ years ago, as a budding young songwriter, thinking that if this could happen, then one could write really really good songs, and almost no one will end up hearing them.  For no particular reason.

Working...
X