Which Clonewheel?

AJP

• Members

... Most likely on the used market.

Roland VK-7?

Korg CX-3?

Hammond XK-2, XK-1 or XK-3?

Oberheim OB-3Squared?

Don't wanna lay out the cheddar on a Nord, as the addl electro-mechanical sounds are not a requirement, and I want "real" drawbars (and am diggin' on a "wood" cabinet).  Important to me: Emerson, Lord, Banks, Wakeman... unimportant: blues, gospel, R&B/soul.  Opinions??  Thanks!

• Members

AJP wrote:

... Most likely on the used market.

Roland VK-7?

Korg CX-3?

Hammond XK-2, XK-1 or XK-3?

Oberheim OB-3Squared?

Don't wanna lay out the cheddar on a Nord, as the addl electro-mechanical sounds are not a requirement, and I want "real" drawbars (and am diggin' on a "wood" cabinet).  Important to me: Emerson, Lord, Banks, Wakeman... unimportant: blues, gospel, R&B/soul.  Opinions??  Thanks!

I dont know what your budget is, and I am not a high tech kind of guy.   I found a super deal on a VR700.  It was a demo.  It has a great keyboard thats authentic organ, but its easy to play piano on or whatever.  It just a pleasure to play.  This puppy is the only board you need to haul around if you are gigging in most bands.

What i like about it is that you have a bomb organ that dont need to surround with other boards to play a show.   I would love to own a XK, but it too short on cheese.  Steel drums, accordian, horns. etc. 

They got a neat demo     

• Members

The VR-700 has a fantastic action. Its weight and bulk makes it a bit of a bear to carry around, but it's a joy to play.

One other factor to consider... if you get a clonewheel that sends out standard MIDI CCs from its drawbars (and ideally other controls as well), it's easy to use it to control other sound sources, like the VB3 VST which by all accounts sounds better than the internal sound engine of any of these. Or you could use it to control an iPad organ app like Galileo. So that might be an argument for the CX3 and I think at least some of the Hammonds. I don't think the Rolands do that.

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

VR09 ......distortion good for Lord bad all else. This bd does all u ask @12lbs

I would like to play one of those.    I use the overdrive crankedup on  magic carpet ride.    I run just a touch on  touch on my regular organ presets just to warm up the leslie effect.  The VR09 seems to have a lot fo the same features.  How is the action.  Toy like or solid feeling like a its big brother

• 1 month later...

Archived