Elektron's Analog (Yes, Analog) "Overbridge" VST Plug-Ins

Anderton

• Members

Check out post #15 in this thread for more info and a bunch of pictures. The basic idea is that the synths connect via USB to the computer, but the USB connection carries audio as well as digital data. So, the processing actually occurs in the analog domain. It's kind of like the external inserts that DAWs have so you can use external, but of course, better integrated because there's also a GUI for the plug-in so you can do editing from the computer.

It goes into public beta next month (at least in theory, but they're pretty good about hitting deadlines) and while VST is the initial format, AU is planned as well.

So whaddya think...good idea? Dumb idea?

Here's a direct link to post #15 of that thread:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/trade-shows/musikmesse-2015/31472896-the-final-messe-picture-blowout?p=31473807#post31473807

A side note... clicking on the post number in a thread will open a box with a URL for that specific post. Just copy and paste. :) Here's a screen shot...

fetch?id=31474894

The basic idea is that the synths connect via USB to the computer' date=' but the USB connection carries [i']audio[/i] as well as digital data. So, the processing actually occurs in the analog domain. It's kind of like the external inserts that DAWs have so you can use external, but of course, better integrated because there's also a GUI for the plug-in so you can do editing from the computer.

It goes into public beta next month (at least in theory, but they're pretty good about hitting deadlines) and while VST is the initial format, AU is planned as well.

So whaddya think...good idea? Dumb idea?

Potentially a very good idea IMO. I think anything that makes it easier for people to use external processors is great, but I can see a few potential issues with it. Latency? Can it be used with Pro Tools? Any clocking / converter issues?

Lexicon used GUI control over USB for programming and controlling some of their hardware processors, which I always thought was a pretty good idea, but they didn't include the audio stream, which seems like a no-brainer to me since it puts everything together while only requiring a single cable. But even Lexicon's approach let you save the parameters of the sound and any automation along with the song / session file, which is a big benefit IMO. I like the idea of computer as master control station for any and all connected peripherals, and the more types of gear that can interconnect like that, the better!

• Members

Potentially a very good idea IMO. I think anything that makes it easier for people to use external processors is great, but I can see a few potential issues with it. Latency?

Probably the same as an external insert, and probably the same ping/compensate to fix.

Can it be used with Pro Tools?

Who cares? :)

Seriously, VST for now, mention of AU, no mention of AAX at the booth. But I didn't think to ask...

Archived