Recommend An Electric Keyboard

bicusick

• Members

Hi, I have been playing guitar for over 25 years, I would like to take up the keyboard since I’m retired now. I would to know which electric keyboard would be best to start out with and grow into for about 2 years. I would use the keyboard every day, and would like something that is well built and will server my needs for the next couple of years before I would upgrade. If needed. I would be playing Blues and Reggae.

• Members

I was thinking the budget would be around $500.00. I would like Piano-weighted keys, don't think I need Sampler or Sequencer, something that plays like a piano. Size would be about three feet long, will play on a desk for now. I would like one with a speaker unless I can play through a guitar amp.

• Members
I would like Piano-weighted key...Size would be about three feet long,

Nothing that small will have keys that will feel weighted like those of a piano, so that's something you'll have to compromise on at anything close to that size.

I would like one with a speaker unless I can play through a guitar amp.[/color][/font][/size]

Every keyboard that has sounds in it either has speakers, or can play through a guitar amp, or both. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear it. ;-)

For a roughly three-foot board at about $500, I'd look at a Yamaha MX49 or a Casio XW-P1, played through an external amp. I'd say the Yamaha has better piano and other acoustic instrument sounds, the Casio has more/better organ and synth sounds, and more keys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I kind of started from a similar place: I have been a guitarist for almost 30 years and 2 years ago I decided to buy a keyboard.

I wanted to have piano action to train my fingers before attempting synths and organs. And it working very well now that I have understood the mechanics and I am able to use any type of keyboard easily.

I bought a Casio Previa PX130, and I love it! The keys have a real piano action the sound is great and it has built in speakers. also when I got it, I found an offer for about $500 giving me a bench a piano furniture like stand with pedals and headphones all included.

The sounds included are pianos, also electric pianos and organs, arches, vibraphone, harpsichord and bass.

Now Casio came up with Previa PX150 which has even more improved sound for about same price.

Archived