I finally decided upon and bought a REAL synth

Chummy

• Members

....not just a Digital Rompler. I ordered an MS-20 Mini. Played it at the store for a few minutes and instantly got hooked!!! omg as a young dude who was born in 1993 ANALOG synths and modulars do NOT cease to amaze me. I also own a Roland vr-09 but there's no doubt I will enjoy the MS-20 way more. Can't wait till I pick it up next week!!!! pics soon?

Also, I saw this vid.

This guy multitracked the MS-20 in a DAW as MIDI track with quantizing and not just recording audio signal. Is it... doable on a keyboard? bypassing VSTs and such and recording the "analog" sound of the synth itself as MIDI notes with quantize ability? How do I do that? Which port should I use? Is the MIDI in for a mic or a guitar to control the synth and the USB for the computer? can you please tell me if I'm right and if so how to connect say a mic or anything else to the MS.

THANK YOU!!! :D

• Members

midi is a control protocol. there is no sound associated with midi events. you can record a midi performance as audio, but not over the midi ports. the midi recorded into the DAW plays the synth in real time as you play back the midi track. to record this as a audio into the DAW, you must route the audio out of the synth to an audio input of the DAW. assign that input to an audio track. and record the audio as the midi track plays the synth. the midi track will play the synth exactly as recorded and the resulting audio track will be identical.

the advantage here is that you can record tracks as midi, edit the midi events, add midi plugins, add parameter automation etc etc and then commit the midi performance to audio. once recorded as audio you can mute the midi tracks.

keep in mind that a mono synth can only play one midi track at a time. in order to play back multiple midi tracks a synth has to be multi-timbrial.

midi ins and outs are for midi data only. the synth would have to have an audio in to patch a mic or other sound source for say, filter processing or modulation.

on the MS 20 mini the audio in jack is called "signal in" there is where you want to plug in an audio signal. not the midi ports.

• Members

the USB can have different functions. primarilly. using the USB-B connection acts as a midi interface. suppose you only had one keyboard, you could us the USB-B instead of a midi cable. in a more complex set up you might want to use a stand alone midi interface and patch all the midi devices to it using the midi ins and outs on the devices and connecting the interface to the computer with USB. read the manual for the MS20 to get a better picture of how to use these ins and outs,

• Members

[quote=Chummy;n31337949Also, I saw this vid.

This guy multitracked the MS-20 in a DAW as MIDI track with quantizing and not just recording audio signal. Is it... doable on a keyboard? bypassing VSTs and such and recording the "analog" sound of the synth itself as MIDI notes with quantize ability? How do I do that? Which port should I use? Is the MIDI in for a mic or a guitar to control the synth and the USB for the computer? can you please tell me if I'm right and if so how to connect say a mic or anything else to the MS.

THANK YOU!!! :D

I didn't watch the video but what you're describing sounds like he recorded the MIDI, and the computer transmitted the MIDI back out to trigger the synth. This is what I do, takes up much less space on the computer than recording each track as audio.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

It blows me away the Wendy Carlos and Larry "Synergy" Fast created their first albums with mono synths overdubbed live to multitrack tape.

Anyway, glad to hear of someone excited by REAL synthesis. Dig in, there is gold in there.

• 1 month later...

Archived