Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now that I think about it...hmm...they're working pretty closely with Avid these days. I wonder if this means Pro Tools will be doing the 64-bit shuffle before too terribly long, and UA wants to make sure they're ready.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I think I have found the my favorite forum for music production. Thanks Craig for the very informative post about UA

Comment

Craig,

Please spotlight the emt-250.

REALLY interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!
        __________________________________________________ _________
        arcadesonfire:
        And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
        ______________________________________________ _________
        guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
        __________________________________________________ ______
        Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
        _____________________________________________ _________
        ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jorhay1
          View Post

Craig,

Please spotlight the emt-250.

REALLY interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!

We've had some other requests for that one, so...duly noted. I have a temporary problem in that my music computer went down, so I'm using an old Frankenputer to tide me over that doesn't have any PCIe slots (yes, it's that old). Although I could use the Satellite with my Mac, the Mac isn't set up for doing videos so while I could do audio examples, it seems the videos are a hit and I'd rather do that.

I should be up and running early next week, once I get everything re-installed. Speaking of which - the UA plugs are some of the easiest to deal with in terms of a dead computer, you just download the software, re-authorize, and you're back to work. No hunting for serial numbers, authorizing hard drives, etc.

Comment

^^^^^

cool.

Take your time, looking forward to it.

I'm working at henson's with a real one so I have the sound really stuck in my head.

Thanks!
            arcadesonfire:
            And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind

Comment

That's some nice drumming man. I enjoyed that, you've got your kit set up nice, and a nice way to show off the tape plug in too - really got a great idea of what it is capable of. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Craig & blueshoes22!

@BlindGuyEars: I didn´t try to duplicate Zappa´s "Joe´s Garage" FX with UA Plugs yet - but I guess it would easily be done.

When I first got the album, I then tried replicating the FX on my Korg SRV-3000 and it sounded very similar.

@jorhay1: I own the UAD Lex 224 and the UAD EMT 250 and the latter one is the most amazing discovery for me.

First of all I got my UAD-2 Satellite QUAD because of the august promo - it was bundled with the Studer, Massive Passive and the EMT 250 then.

I abolutely wanted the A800 and the Manley - but only knew of EMT´s plate reverbs - so my expectations were low on that "freeby" especially because of the few controls.

In the mean time I have used it on some mixes and I have to say it has an incredible quality and to me the most robust glue with the instruments in the mix.

I haven´t been able to compare it with the original unit - but the fact that UA hat licensed and implemented the original algorithm (as with the 224) convinces me that they sound the same.

The only potential difference is the modeling of the analog sections - but I don´t care too much because I want to benefit of the possibility to use them both with the modeling of their analog sections off.

To be able to use these machines with digital IN/OUTs was not possible with the original units (AFAIK) and is a major advantage to me.

Best wishes,

Andreas

Here´s my UAD MXR Flanger-Doubler sound example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EdBiLQzMb0

Comment

My new PC Audio Labs computer was shipped to me today!! And I just realized that one of the GREAT things about UA plugs is all I need to do is insert the board, run the latest software, and I'm back in business with these effing great plugs.

Comment

Before I get back to the plug-ins, thought you might like a preview of what Universal Audio is up to now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejw8SaM2EX4

Comment

• Neato! I want one.

Can you expand the UA processors (either the duo or quad) beyond what comes in the Apollo by adding an additional UA card or firewire Accelerator?
                      arcadesonfire:

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                        View Post

We've had some other requests for that one, so...duly noted. I have a temporary problem in that my music computer went down, so I'm using an old Frankenputer to tide me over that doesn't have any PCIe slots (yes, it's that old). Although I could use the Satellite with my Mac, the Mac isn't set up for doing videos so while I could do audio examples, it seems the videos are a hit and I'd rather do that.

I should be up and running early next week, once I get everything re-installed. Speaking of which - the UA plugs are some of the easiest to deal with in terms of a dead computer, you just download the software, re-authorize, and you're back to work. No hunting for serial numbers, authorizing hard drives, etc.

Maybe you could a/b it with a popular convolution verb that comes with 250 I/Rs. That would be groovy.

Whenever you have time.

(your new PC sounds like a monster!)
                        arcadesonfire:

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jorhay1
                          View Post

Neato! I want one.

Can you expand the UA processors (either the duo or quad) beyond what comes in the Apollo by adding an additional UA card or firewire Accelerator?

My understanding is that at the very least, you can expand it with one of their Satellite modules. However, as of this moment it's still Mac-only. I'm also assuming (in other words, I could very well be wrong!) that if you bought a duo Apollo, there would be some way to upgrade it to a quad.

Comment

• Just got this press release from UA...

UNIVERSAL AUDIO ANNOUNCES NEW UAD-2 HARDWARE AND UAD POWERED PLUG-IN SOFTWARE BUNDLES

-New Flagship 8-Processor UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator, New Custom and Ultimate UAD Plug-In Bundles, More Affordable Pricing Across the UAD-2 Lineup-
                            SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • October 1, 2012 — Universal Audio (UA), a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce a complete re-imagination of the popular UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform. Highlighted by the new flagship UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator card, featuring eight SHARC processors, the UAD-2 Series offers new Custom and Ultimate software bundles and more affordable pricing for all UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD DSP Accelerator models.

New OCTO DSP Accelerators — Heavyweight Processing Power

The new top-of-the-line UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator ($1,499US) features eight SHARC processors on a single PCIe card and easily installs into a PCIe-equipped Mac or PC workstation or compatible expansion chassis — giving music producers and engineers twice the processing power of its UAD-2 QUAD DSP Accelerator counterpart. For UAD power users running large audio sessions with high UAD plug-in instances and/or high sample rates, the UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator is the uncompromising professional solution.

New UAD-2 “Custom” Bundles — Pick Any 3 UAD Plug-Ins

For just $400US more than a UAD-2 DUO, QUAD, or OCTO “Core” DSP Accelerator model, UAD users can now step up to UAD-2 Custom bundles, selecting any three individual UAD plug-ins within 45 days of their new UAD-2 hardware registration. With a world-renowned UAD plug-in library that includes Ampex®, Manley®, Lexicon®, Studer®, EMT®, Empirical Labs®, Neve®, SSL®, Roland®, and more, UAD-2 Custom bundles deliver a potential software value of more than $1,000US (depending on UAD plug-ins selected), at significant savings to new UAD-2 users.

New UAD-2 “Ultimate” Bundles — The Definitive Collection

Combining the most powerful UAD-2 DSP Accelerator hardware with the most complete UAD plug-in bundle available, the new UAD-2 OCTO Ultimate (PCIe card format) and UAD-2 Satellite QUAD Ultimate (FireWire format) packages offer an extensive library of more than 55 UA-developed plug-ins, up to and including UAD Software v6.3*. These UAD-2 Ultimate packages represent the definitive collection of more than 10 years of UAD plug-in development.

More Affordable UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD Core Models

Alongside the new UAD-2 hardware and software introductions, UA is debuting new, more affordable pricing for the “Core” models of UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe hardware and UAD-2 DUO and QUAD Satellite FireWire hardware. All UAD-2 Core models include the popular “Analog Classics” plug-in bundle, featuring the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN/1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifiers, Pultec EQP-1A, and RealVerb Pro plug-ins. Additional UAD plug-ins can be purchased from UA’s Online Store.

“We’re excited by the additional power and flexibility that this new UAD-2 lineup provides,” says CEO and Founder, Bill Putnam, Jr. “Not only has the processing power doubled with the UAD-2 OCTO model, but it’s now easier for users to customize their UAD-2 packages right out of the box. And with our new aggressive pricing for SOLO, DUO, and QUAD Core models, UAD-2 is now even more accessible to producers who want to add authentic analog tone in their recordings.

Estimated US Street Prices for UAD-2 Desktop (PCI-Express) and Satellite (FireWire) DSP Accelerators:

UAD-2 OCTO (PCIe)

$1,499.00 Core Bundle

$1,899.00 Custom Bundle

$5,499.00 Ultimate Bundle

UAD-2 QUAD (PCIe)

$999.00 Core Bundle

$1,399.00 Custom Bundle

UAD-2 DUO (PCIe)

$699.00 Core Bundle

$1,099.00 Custom Bundle

UAD-2 SOLO (PCIe)

$299.00 Core Bundle

UAD-2 QUAD Satellite (FireWire)

$999.00 Core Bundle

$1,399.00 Custom Bundle

$4,999.00 Ultimate Bundle

UAD-2 DUO Satellite (FireWire)

$699.00 Core Bundle

$1,099.00 Custom Bundle

More information on the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform:

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins.html

*The UAD-2 Ultimate packages do not include any Direct Developer (3rd party) plug-ins, nor plug-ins released after UAD Software v6.3.

About UAD Powered Plug-Ins

Powered by Universal Audio’s popular UAD-2 DSP Accelerator hardware, UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins offer the world’s most authentic analog hardware emulations and award-winning audio plug-ins on Mac and PC. UAD-2 plug-ins deliver rich, analog sound quality that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with native recording systems.

About Universal Audio Inc.

Founded in 1958 by recording pioneer Bill Putnam Sr., and refounded in 1999 by Bill Putnam Jr., Universal Audio is best known for its classic, hand-built analog hardware and advanced UAD Digital Signal Processing technology for recording, mixing, and mastering audio. Headquartered in Scotts Valley, California, UA is focused on merging the best of vintage analog and modern digital technology, following its rich recording heritage and motto, “Analog Ears. Digital Minds.” www.uaudio.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                              View Post

Just got this press release from UA...

UNIVERSAL AUDIO ANNOUNCES NEW UAD-2 HARDWARE AND UAD POWERED PLUG-IN SOFTWARE BUNDLES

I must get an octo card and that Shadow Hills mastering compressor plug. Just kidding about the octo card as I have a quad Apollo and quad pcie card in my studio PC. So what I really need is for UA to get their Windows drivers completed to I can combine the Apollo quad with the pci-e quad.

These spammers must be eradicated!!!

Comment

• So, against my better judgement (being that I'm in the middle of a mix), I decided to install version 6.4 with 64-bit support for powered plug-ins in my PC Audio Labs computer running Windows 7 64-bit SP1. For Apollo and the Satellite, I'll be ordering an FW800 qualified board in the next day or two (I think I'm going to go for the Sonnet, any computer-oriented company that exhibits at NAMM gets my support) and I will try Apollo with FW400 just to see what happens; these results will be posted in the Apollo Pro review.

Meanwhile, I have a Quad card with plug-ins just itching to go 64-bit, so time to take the plunge.

Now, I should mention that there is some confusion about which programs UA supports with 64-bit operation. So I went to the source, got the scoop from UA, and posted the following in a thread in the Cakewalk forums where a lot of misinformation was floating around after UA "abandoning" Sonar support

UA makes a distinction between qualifying and supporting systems. Sonar, Ableton Live, Studio One Pro, etc. are still supported and UA does test those and other programs for compatibility.

Qualifying is apparently a process that takes months of man-hours where UA tests every parameter of every plug-in. They chose three "test beds" for plug-in qualification: Cubase for VST, Logic Pro for AU, and Pro Tools for RTAS. So, what they are basically doing is qualifying operation of the plug-in formats. I can't argue that those are extremely representative programs, as Steinberg invented VST, Apple invented AU, and RTAS is the"Pro Tools format." As a benefit of using these programs, it allows UA to guarantee that every parameter of every plug-in will work with those particular programs because they were the test beds.

However, in theory VST is VST, and if a plug-in works perfectly under one VST host, it should in theory work under other VST hosts. So, UA does less rigorous testing with other VST hosts to check whether the theory holds true.

So far, my understanding is that UA has not found issues with VST support on other 64-bit hosts, but they are actively seeking any reports of problems from users of non-qualified 64-bit systems so that any problems can be addressed.

And did they install properly? Keep reading...

Comment

Working...
                                X