Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the 69 headstock question, to me it looks unfinished, and actually a lot like StewMac's blank peghead necks with the corners rounded off.

Comment

I'd love to hear more on the DT25 and hd500

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by metfoo
        View Post

I'd love to hear more on the DT25 and hd500

Absolutely. I'm going to wrap up audio examples for the JTV in the next day or two (I won't be doing ALL the models, that's a lot to expect people to listen to, but I'll choose the popular sounds that most people will recognize). From there I'll move along to the HD500 and DT25 - which I'm liking more and more the more I play through it.

Meanwhile, you can find out a lot about the HD500 from the review I wrote on it for Harmony Central when the product was first introduced. Everything I've said still holds, except there have been a couple updates that have actually improved it a bit.
        There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I'd just like to add that the Roland GR55 has a modeling channel as well as two traditional synth channels. So you can get a number of different guitar tones and any tuning you want out of it. I've been pleased by the acoustic tones but then I rarely play real acoustics outside of work. (btw i used to work at GC arvada, small world)

Comment

I was wondering what the standard magnetic pick-ups sound like (especially in the JTV-69, if anyone has one of those). I know this is not really the main point of the Variax, but one of the things that interests me is that on top of all the Variax goodness you are also getting a Tyler designed guitar, and the 'real' Tylers I have heard are awesome.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mountjoy
              View Post

I was wondering what the standard magnetic pick-ups sound like (especially in the JTV-69, if anyone has one of those). I know this is not really the main point of the Variax, but one of the things that interests me is that on top of all the Variax goodness you are also getting a Tyler designed guitar, and the 'real' Tylers I have heard are awesome.

Excellent point, I'll add that to the demo file I'm recording.
              There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Great review so far, loving it. Would love to hear some of the tunings if possible

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by digital1
                  View Post

Great review so far, loving it. Would love to hear some of the tunings if possible

Actually, I used three alternate tunings in the examples in post #64. It's kind of tough to demo an alternate tuning, as using one just sounds like I'm a guitarist with incredible fingering skills

Probably the best way to demo the tunings would just be to select a tuning, then strum all six strings slowly so you can hear how they're tuned. Make sense?

I have time booked tonight for finishing up some of the audio examples, so I'll add that to the list.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                    View Post

Thanks for the reply, and welcome to the Pro Review! Although I don't expect you to reveal any proprietary techniques, this is clearly a pretty hip crowd, so if you have any insights into how you do the modeling process (particularly the acoustic guitars!), I'm sure people would find it interesting.

Hi Craig, thanks for your question above. Although this topic is pretty huge, one way to look at this would be the following: of the various technologies, tools, and techniques that we have developed to accurately model electric and acoustic guitars, I’ll focus in on one aspect that I find particularly interesting: sound resonance.

We have literally put years of research into studying sound resonance in guitars. For example, when you are talking about any guitar, electric or acoustic, you can think of it as a seesaw or teeter-totter where the strings are on one side, the body of the instrument is on the other, and the bridge is the fulcrum. The act of striking the string with your fingers or a pick creates a tremendous amount of energy that immediate begins transferring to the guitar’s body via the bridge in the form of harmonic resonance. What is happening here is that the body of the guitar is resonating and pulling out resonant frequencies from the string, and depending on the type of wood, its cut, its finish, its size/shape, any internal cavities, etc, certain frequencies transfer to the body faster than others. You can try this with any guitar; pluck an open A string and you will hear that over time, the sound will focus in on a single harmonic tone. That is the guitar body soaking up all the rest of the harmonics and balancing the string energy. This harmonic resonance between string and body is an important part of the character of any guitar. What is really exciting about acoustic guitars, for example, is how much the harmonic energy from the string is continually energizing the wood of the body over time - the body and the strings will even begin to resonate together and produce rich harmonic overtones.

Our job was to figure out which harmonics a given guitar is going to soak up and which harmonics it will leave on the string, over time, at the different notes and frequencies across the fretboard and string attack permutations. It gets even more complicated when you factor in the strings themselves, neck shape/size/composition, frets, nut, bridge, how the guitar is setup, pickups, electronics, and all the other aspects of the guitar that contribute to the instrument’s character. Not to mention the hand/body of a given guitar player, the space the guitar is being played in, and the hundreds of other environment variables that play a part here. You can only imagine where this could lead in the future. So understanding and delivering sound resonance is one important part of how we put under your fingers the unique character of what we consider to be some of the world’s greatest guitars.

Comment

Hi Line6: With the expanded CPU power allowing you to achieve greater realism for 12-string guitars, might you complete the Bluegrass Trifecta by adding a mandolin? That's acoustic guitar/banjo/mandolin. Then you would have the entire rock, folk, country, and bluegrass genres covered. Seems like that's the only major string instrument missing from the lineup . . .

Comment

Hey Line 6 - thanks VERY much for the info on modeling, I'd never looked at it that way. That kind of "background info" is always welcome here, so I appreciate your taking the time to contribute to the thread.

Comment

Do the traditional pickups work when using the Variax digital cable or do you need to switch to an analog cable for those?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by metfoo
                            View Post

Do the traditional pickups work when using the Variax digital cable or do you need to switch to an analog cable for those?

Excellent question, as the answer indicates just how friggin' versatile this system is.

When using the Variax (VDI) cable with the HD500, if the HD500 input source is set to Variax, you can use either the magnetic pickups or a model depending on the Variax model switch setting (e.g., turn it on to use models, turn it off to use pickups). If you set the source to Variax Mags, it uses only the Variax magnetic pickups.

However, remember that there are two input paths. These can be set to the same input options, or different ones. For example, input 1 could be Variax (mags or models), while input 2 could be just the magnetic pickups. Or, in the end-of-the-world scenario I wondered about earlier with the Coral Sitar sitar model and an Electro-Harmonix Ravish Sitar, you could run the Variax 1/4" out into the Ravish Sitar, connect its output to the HD500 guitar input, and use that for input 1 while using the Variax sitar model for input 2 if you wanted to process the two signals differently through the HD500 (and we haven't even considered the options of using the HD500's FX Loop, which opens up a whole other set of options).

But if you wanted these two signals to go through the same processing, HD500 input 1 could be both the guitar input and the Variax.

I'm starting to think I will be able to save a lot of time during the course of this pro review by just answering any question with "yes" as that seems to be the most common answer

And I might add this system just get better the more I work with it. To make sure I answered your question correctly I had to set up the HD500...and promptly got sucked into playing with it. Well, it was research for the pro review, right? I promise I wasn't just sitting there playing and enjoying myself. Really.

Comment

Great info. I'm a beginner with an hd500 and dt25. Considering a variax, but also want a les Paul. The variax seems to make more sense. I'm very interested in hearing the traditional pickups

Comment

You asked for it, you got it

The file Variax, JTV-59 Mags is just the magnetic pickups, nothing else, straight into the interface. You'll hear neck pickup first, then the neck+bridge, and finally, the bridge.

I've also included some "optional listening for extra credit" files. While I had the pickup sounds recorded in Sonar, I decided to add some amp sims so you could get an idea of what the "naked" pickups would sound like going through amp sims. Why not go through the HD500? We'll have plenty of opportunities to hear the pickups through that.

The file Variax, POD Farm Super Sparkle is pretty much the raw sound of the POD Farm 2 Super Sparkle amp with a little ambience.

The file Variax, 21st Century uses the stock POD Farm 21st Century Clean preset with the reverb pulled back a bit.

Finally Variax, GR Van 51 goes through two of Guitar Rig 5's new modules, the Van 51 amp and Vintage Reverb, so you could hear some heavily distorted JTV-59 mag pickups.

I didn't really do any of my special tricks to the amp sims, they're pretty much "what you get is what you hear."

Comment

Working...
                                X