Mackie DC16 ? Mike Rivers or anyone !!!

"The system relies on Dante® for communication between the DL32R mixer and DC16 control surface, enabling additional networking capability for professional applications."

Source

Based on my time with the DL32R, my guess is that the DC16 is designed to work exclusively with the DL32R. I don't know either way for certain, but I doubt it will be able to work by itself as your computer DAW control surface.

However, it would be very cool if it can do so in conjunction with the DL32R - after all, the DL32R can not only record and play back audio (with an external USB 2.0 HDD), but it can also serve as a USB 2.0 DAW interface. Adding a hardware fader control unit to it that could work both live and in the studio would make it even sweeter.

• CMS Author
Anyone know if the upcoming Mackie DC16 Control Surface will work with DAW's or is it tied to Mackie's DL32R only ?

I got the impression that it was designed to be part of the AXIS system, which is the DC16 and one or more DL32Rs (or maybe one 32 and one 16). Sadly, the bottom seems to have fallen out of the market for generic DAW control surfaces. Avid has several, but they're for Pro Tools only. PreSonus has something like the Mackie DC-16 but it connects via AVB to their mixer-in-a-stage-box systems.

I think Behringer still has a couple of DAW control surfaces that use HUI or Mackie Control protocol as well as generic MIDI. Take a look at their X-Touch series, though I think a 9-fader model is as bit as it gets (8 channels plus master). I assume the 8 main faders work in banks so you can control more than 8 tracks as long as you don't need to more more than 8 faders at once.

Mike, I agree that the new X-Touch controllers look very interesting, and according to Behringer's X-Touch page, it appears that you can expand past 8 channels and use three of the controllers at once:

"With class-compliant USB functionality, the X-TOUCH is instantly recognizable by Mac and Windows PCs. Its 5-pin MIDI port allows you to connect and communicate with an external device. The 2 dedicated footswitch connectors and one foot controller provide external remote control. The powered multi-TT USB hub provides connectivity for 2 more controllers so it can grow with your career."

Source

Of course, as you mentioned, you can always use a single unit and bank up or down to get to the other tracks in your session if you don't need 24 physical faders simultaneously.

Archived