Recommended online education ?

davd_indigo

• Members

I want to learn some fundamentals of sound and audio recordings. I've spent my adult life cultivating my musical skills, but know little to nothing about recording. I expect to buy a Tascam 24 or 32 stand alone recorder soon and would like to make better recordings. I expect that everything I record will be through the air with a mic. No midi, or loops.

I've found some online things like Bruce A. Miller, and some free online (Open University?) courses. I've been taking a course (using Arnold Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony) online via Skype. The instructor charges 20 (Great Brittish) Pounds per class (paid via paypal). There are only 3 students and we "meet" ever 2 or 3 weeks. I like this format. And my cousin, a mandolin player, told me there's some famous player (Mike Marshall) who has a video library of lessons and offers feedback on videos students submit.

So my question: Is there anything similar to the education outlets I've mentioned anyone here knows about ? Any there any that are recommended over the others ?

I understand I could enroll in classes at my local community colleges. But with online learning, it seems one can sort of cut to the chase - without the confines of course syllabus.

Archived