I don't know whether to feel inspired or give up...

Mike McLenison

• Members

His playing strikes me as... calisthenic.

I was intrigued by the informal 'instructional' clip where he talked generally about his techniques. (His invocation of the term "bebop," I'm thinking, didn't apply to his theoretical/harmonic approach so much as his fretboard technique. But maybe I wasn't tracking that properly.)

I'm afraid I was decidedly unmoved by the performance clip from Sneaky Pete's. I kept waiting for him to apply his somewhat prodigous dexterity to a little content...

Still, you can't judge a guitarist from a couple clips. I'll have to check out some more at some point.

• Members

You bet.

And his little explanatory vid got me thinking about a number of things, too, from technique to teaching. I appreciated the informal approach, just a guy talking about some of the ways he approaches music, which I think is always interesting and can sometimes be really helpful to someone along the way.

You know, those kind of informal discussions with other musicians (usually more experienced but sometimes not by all that much) have been really beneficial to me over the years.

Archived