I Love Larrivee, and others

Magpel

• Members

Great service, amazing guitars. I am one happy Larrivee customer. While I'm not a collector or a total gear nut, I've owned my share of good instruments and amps, excellent software, etc. But nothing wraps itself around your heart like a good acoustic instrument, and my Larrivee L-05 is a peach.

Lovely spam, wonderful spam. If you're in the market for a mid- to high-end acoustic guitar, do yourself a favor and make sure you try a few Larrivees in the process. (Okay, Jean &co, happy now?)

You know what I also love? Reaper. So cool to be part of the growth of a heavyweight app like this, though I am still holding out for MIDI maturation before I go 100% Reaper and let Sonar 4 slip toward least used status. I believe it will happen in the months (if not weeks) ahead.

You know who else hooked me up big time recently? Time Warner Cable. It's not easy for me to give love to big corps, but TW has done me right. Roadrunner is an excellent service, and when I decided to go with their triple play bargain, they heaped so much extra value on me that I finished the phone call with about twice the services I had been receiving at about 2/3 the price I had been paying. At that moment, I felt love.

Yup.

• Moderators

Massey Pro Tools plugins get a like minded nod from me. To have this type of quality from a one man operation and then for him to charge...

...$69. That's just too good to be true.

Reaper. Yep. It's my remote machine. Paired with M-Audio's Transit interface and the high end API pre and converter combo. It's hot and moist love. Reaper is a total nobrainer. Click around for 5 minutes and you've got enough info to get started. The way it should be.

And speaking of API... it's my Larrivee. There is something so natural about something recorded through my beloved APIs with a pair of 414s. It's not high end sheen, it just real. With maybe a little attitude thrown it if you want.

And spealing of real... My CAD Trion 8000 tube mic. Through the API, it's like someone is whispering in your ear.

There's my love fest.

• Members

All right, then, let's lay down some rules for this love fest. It is a commercial love fest, so don't start posting pictures of your kids. (well, unless one is in your avatar, as in mine...). The themes are quality, value, service, the special relationship between person and prized thing...

• Members

Yep, I played this really small Larrivee a couple years ago, and not only was it way louder than you'd expect a small guitar to be, but the sound was totally phenomenal! Just an excellent little guitar.

• Members

I love my Ukelele :love: - I won it in a jokey raffle at a folk club I frequent. There is a rule (observed mostly in the breach) that if you win the uke you come back and play it. So never having done solo acoustic before I've got a semi regular spot to do a couple of songs each month :cool:.

Get a uke. They cost nothing and it will make you smile every time you pick it up. Forget travel guitar - get a uke and choose smiles :).

• Members

Recently I've spent some time looking for my "next" acoustic. After some disappointments where my favorite guitars were $3000+ I had the chance to play a LV-03RE. I was VERY impressed with the sound & build quality, especially at $1350. Unless something even better comes along, I believe this will be my next acoustic. BTW, the mahogany-back version had remarkably good clarity & punch. A real eye-opener.

Since we're all spamming here, I'm gonna plug McInturff guitars. My Empress is the best electric I've ever owned. Terry is a great guy with the skill & vision to make outstanding instruments. I'm going to drive down & see his new shop real soon. :cool:

• Members

My "good" guitar is a Larrivee. I did a whole lot of wishing for that guitar. And, though a uke would be okay, I would love to have a Larrivee parlour guitar. Same size as the baby taylor, but it's a real guitar and sounds great. I would take it everywhere.

The RME Fireface is worthy of mention is a thread like this one.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I just got my "custom built" Larrivee LV-03 about 3 weeks ago & it is a very fine hand-crafted specimen. I was at NAMM '08 & went into the Larrivee booth, talked with their AR rep about my music, accomplishments, etc. & he gave me a sweet deal (I can't disclose the details but it was more than 30% off the retail price...a lot more.) Anyway it took about a month to ship because it had to be built from scratch (I'm a lefty). I've always wanted a cutaway & this one is a gem. The craftsmanship is top-notch. Wood choices are obviously a painstakingly precise process when it comes to making these, & I'm sure some other high-end acoustic guitars, because all of the wood is pristine quality. It has a smooth, full bottom-end with a slightly scooped low-mid & delicate highs. The biggest surprise to me initially was how light it was....then I remembered that great-sounding acoustic guitars are usually made from thinner cuts of wood than less expensive ones. Why? Most of you probably already know but if you don't, thinner wood allows the guitar to resonate & transfer tones more efficiently.

http://www.intangiblemusic.com

Archived