Does such a cable exist?

Prages

• Members

I'm looking for a cable or snake that will allow me to run out of mixing board's insert into a DAW. I swear I think I've seen them before, but can't find them now.

If it doesn't exist, I know I can run all the mics into the Firepod first, then use the TRS outs on the back of the Firepod to run into the mixing board, but I'd rather run to the board before the Firepod.

Anybody know what I'm talking about at all?

• CMS Author

Hosa makes an adapter with a 1/4" TRS plug on one end of a short cable and a 1/4" TS jack on the other end. Connect that jack to your DAW line input with a standard 1/4" unbalanced cable.

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/DOC-106.html#

Alternately, you can use a Radio Shack stereo-to-mono adapter #274-1520: http://tinyurl.com/398ku8

• Members

Yeah, they'd be simple to build... but cheaper to buy, probably.

The wiring would look something like this:

Insert plug:

tip------|

ring-----|--------------------------> tip (direct out plug to recorder)

sleeve------------------------------> sleeve

• CMS Author

yes - you can buy stereo RTS to 2 x mono TS.

That will give him the output, but it will interrupt the signal flow through the mixer unless he does something with the return.

An economical way to make the cable he needs (actually two of them) is to buy a TS-TS cable that's twice as long as he needs and cut it in the middle. Attach a TRS plug to each cut end with the center conductor connected to both the tip and ring terminals of the plug and the shield connected to the sleeve.

It requires having a soldering iron and knowing how to use it, and knowing how to strip shielded cable. It's a good learning project but not everyone wants to learn how to make cables (though I think everybody should).

• Members

I actually found a very simple solution thanks to the recording forum.

A standard 1/4" TS cable plugged only 1/2 way into the insert sends the signal to the audio interface but still allows the signal to flow through the mixer. :thu:

• CMS Author

I actually found a very simple solution thanks to the recording forum.

A standard 1/4" TS cable plugged only 1/2 way into the insert sends

Aw, gee, everybody knows that. ') I thought you wanted a real cable.

The problem with that solution is that a lot of today's jacks don't hold a plug very securely when the ring contact is resting in the notch in the tip of the plug, which is what you have when you halfway-insert the plug. It's prone to crackles. A solution that lets you insert the plug all the way is better if you want reliability.

• Members

Anyway,

Tell us about this music theft thing with your web hosting...your sig peaks my curiosity. Thanks!

I had about 50-75 mp3s, all me, some originals, some covers, some just clips to demonstrate pickups and such, all uploaded to my web site. About a month ago the host ran a filter and just deleted all mp3s that were uploaded without regard to whether they were hosted illegally or not. I contacted them and got a big 'I'm sorry, we'll restore your files', but I decided not to in order to give me a chance to actually clean up my site. So for the time being, I don't have anything up, but my provider did actually offer to restore the files.

• Members

Originally posted by mike rivers

"The problem with that solution is that a lot of today's jacks don't hold a plug very securely when the ring contact is resting in the notch in the tip of the plug, which is what you have when you halfway-insert the plug. It's prone to crackles. A solution that lets you insert the plug all the way is better if you want reliability."

I use pieces of black rubber hosing cut to just the right length so that the plug doesn't go in all the way and tightens up on the notch. That tiny bit of looseness is what usually causes the crackles.

• CMS Author
I use pieces of black rubber hosing cut to just the right length so that the plug doesn't go in all the way and tightens up on the notch. That tiny bit of looseness is what usually causes the crackles.

If you're going to all that trouble to modify the plug, you might as well cut off the wrong plug and solder on the right one. Unless of course your skills with a knife are better than those with a soldering iron. Still, that's a pretty small-tolerance fit. If your spacer is a bit too long or too short it won't do its job.

• Members

Its actually very easy, I use those rubber hoses used for bunsen burners from the chemistry lab you can buy in any medical supplies stores. and just cut them up with scissors. They're like tiny thick rubber bands that you just roll around the PL plugs. Its rubbery character pushes the plugs towards the notch to eliminate the looseness.

Archived