Moog Guitar

timmit65

• Members

Here's the poop:

YES - Moog is coming out with a guitar.

It is not a MIDI guitar or a synth guitar.

It is actually the single biggest innovation in guitar technology since the electric guitar.

The Moog Guitar brings five innovations that no other guitar can match:

1. Infinite, powerful sustain available at every fret position and on every string; sustain beyond anything that is currently available

2. Controllable sustain; it sustains the notes you are playing while actively muting the ones you are not playing

3. Flick a switch and the same power that is was used to sustain the strings of the guitar will immediately mute the strings. Suddenly you are playing a completely new instrument; one that sounds like a banjo or dobro or koto.

4. The power to sustain and the power to mute can be blended between the neck and bridge to create harmonic blends which pull tone from the strings of the guitar; 2nd, 3rd, and other derivative harmonics that you don ' t normally hear but are actually there on every guitar.

5. A built-in Moog ladder filter playable from a foot-pedal.

***All of this, except of course the ladder filter, is coming directly from the strings of the guitar.

***There is no post processing.

As a player, what you are hearing, you are feeling with your body and your fingers because it is coming directly from the guitar strings.

Added bonus - the guitar itself is absolutely beautiful.

No learning curve is required; five minutes after you pick-up this guitar you will begin creating new and previously unimaginable music with the Moog Guitar.

***Moog has ten patents either issued or pending for this guitar which will be introduced some time this Summer and shown for the first time ever at the Summer NAMM show - Nashville/June.

Initial production will be limited to a 600pc Collector ' s Edition model.

See for your self.....

www.moogmusic.com

• Members

O.K., I suppose I've shown bad etiquette. For that, I apologize. But, please let me explain myself. I received an email from a Moog Rep with news I considered exciting. I made a small comment and copied the non-personal ( email addresses ect.) and pasted in on the forum. If that shows bad taste, I'm sorry. I'm am in no way trying to sell this thing, just trying to get the word out.

That said, I was invited to a suit at NAMM where this Rep said Moog was introducing a revolutionary product. He said that I was welcome to come, but I'd need to sign an NDA. For me that's a big deal. So as soon as I got the email unveiling this product, I thought I'd pass the word. Again, this is not a commercial. I don't work for Moog or a dealer that sells Moog, just thought it was cool. Not to mention the fact, no one else had posted anything about it.

I guess I shouldn't ask if anyone would like to know more about Amway.

Seriously if I was out of line, sorry.

Tim

• Members

NO!! Not out of line at all!! That's great news, I'm really looking forward to the guitar, and I'm serious that sometimes, spam can actually taste good! No apologies are necessary at all.

However, I did sit across from Moog's Mike Adams on the plane coming back from Frankfurt, and he didn't say a thing about the guitar. I think he's the one who owes me an apology!

• Members

It looks ok enough to me, but judging by the reactions on the Effects forum, I think Moog would be better off to offer the Moog guitar functionality as a factory-installed add-on to any guitar, and/or partner up with luthiers to buy the components as OEMs and put together their own Moog guitars.

Guitarists are notoriously picky about guitars - everything from the body shape, neck profile, scale length, etc. That's why Roland abandoned the specialized synth-guitar route, started to develop guitar synth systems that could be installed on any guitar, and continue to be relatively successful in this area today.

I hope Moog will consider not going the specialized guitar route - at least not exclusively.

• Members

I just called Moog, and it's NOT an April Fools joke. Originally, there will be 600 made, as the original post said. Probably around $6000. More info to come next month on the website. After the initial run of 600, there will be a production run, which will of course be significantly less than $6000. The sound clips on the Moog site are actual sound samples of the instrument.

• Members

I really thought it was an april fool's joke when I first read it... I do hope that they come out with a real production run, cause at multiple thousands of dollars, that kind of technology is not going to proliferate...

I just called Moog, and it's NOT an April Fools joke. Originally, there will be 600 made, as the original post said. Probably around $6000. More info to come next month on the website. After the initial run of 600, there will be a production run, which will of course be significantly less than $6000. The sound clips on the Moog site are actual sound samples of the instrument.

• Members

Originally, there will be 600 made, as the original post said. Probably around $6000. More info to come next month on the website. After the initial run of 600, there will be a production run, which will of course be significantly less than $6000. The sound clips on the Moog site are actual sound samples of the instrument.

I still want to see some kind of add-on or factory install option for existing guitars. We'll see...

• Members

cool, I remember the old Heet ebow patent had a hex embodiment that never saw the light of day

The idea of phase reversal, blending, etc reminds me of "stupid effect tricks you could pull on the model B/C sustainiacs (they would up adding an FX loop to the sustainiac C so you didn't have to bother splitting)

hey, Is "Moog Music" the registered company name or is that DBA of Big Briar?

I was going to do a quicky USPTO search for fun and elightenment, but I figured an asignee search would make it real easy

• Members

I still want to see some kind of add-on or factory install option for existing guitars. We'll see...

Totally, my concern for retrofit is that the wiring might be farily comprehensive (if they are, for instance, using a piezo system so they dont wind up with the problem of having EM crosstalk between drivers and pickup then even drop-in pickgaurds might not be an option) so that could be problematic for the add-on market

maybe they will license it to guit manufacturers for the factory install option you mention

• Members

Totally, my concern for retrofit is that the wiring might be farily comprehensive (if they are, for instance, using a piezo system so they dont wind up with the problem of having EM crosstalk between drivers and pickup then even drop-in pickgaurds might not be an option) so that could be problematic for the add-on market

maybe they will license it to guit manufacturers for the factory install option you mention

Yeah, the issues you mention is a reason I think they are more likely to go with a factory install as opposed to user add-on - just like Maniac Music's Sustainiac (you must send your guitar to Maniac Music for installation of the Sustainiac Stealth - unless you go for the "acoustic" Sustainiac that clamps onto the headstock).

I think it'd be a nice move to get an authorized installer program going, to offload the work and encourage competition - just like the PLEK shops, in that there is no central PLEK shop to send your guitar - you choose from a list of authorized installers instead.

• Members

Yeah, the issues you mention is a reason I think they are more likely to go with a factory install as opposed to user add-on - just like Maniac Music's Sustainiac (you must send your guitar to Maniac Music for installation of the Sustainiac Stealth - unless you go for the "acoustic" Sustainiac that clamps onto the headstock).

one advantage of the manic deal* is that really aren't messing with the set-up of the instrument (like if you start messing with the saddles) which is helpful so it's kind of drop in and tune their system (as opposed to mucking with the rest of the instrument)

As a counterpoint to that part of their operation - one mod I don't think they do (but they explain) is the neck routing to run a cable to the Model B's transducer...you have to get that shopped yourself (well, I think they consider that mod obsolete now with the model C routing). I can see how that's just too too much for an electronics installation house

I think it'd be a nice move to get an authorized installer program going, to offload the work and encourage competition - just like the PLEK shops, in that there is no central PLEK shop to send your guitar - you choose from a list of authorized installers instead.

That's probably way more practical to lift possible set-up work, routing, etc off the production house and back to luthiers

I have a feeling the system will be expensive enough that it's not going to be a whim anyway (so users willing to go for it are going to be willing to deal with the ramifications)...sort of the "if you want it we are going to have to put a hex system on it" effect.

*well, you can actually buy the stealth and self-install. It's just they offer installation

• Members

The sales rep also emphasized - first thing, just about - that it is not a MIDI guitar or synth guitar. I knew that already from having read the first post, but it was the first point she emphasized. The other thing is that she said that it's a gorgeous-looking guitar. So....I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it some more. Obviously, from the video, you can't really tell what it looks like.

• Members

Here's the poop:

5. A built-in Moog ladder filter playable from a foot-pedal.

***All of this, except of course the ladder filter, is coming directly from the strings of the guitar.

***There is no post processing.

***Moog has ten patents either issued or pending for this guitar which will be introduced some time this Summer and shown for the first time ever at the Summer NAMM show - Nashville/June.

Initial production will be limited to a 600pc Collector ' s Edition model.

www.moogmusic.com

Seems like an excellent reason to attend Summer NAMM..

on a slight tangent, what other products have the

Moog Ladder filter?

:D

Archived