Critical listening with Bruce Swedien.....

• Members

Since I suspect you might want to know, there's a run-on sentence on the website:

This is the first time Bruce has ever opened his studio to such an intimate group of students, this should be something to cherish and remember forever.

I wish you and everyone who attends great success and fun.

• Members

Ken....

What's a run-on sentence?

Bruce

Bruce,

In this sentence:

This is the first time Bruce has ever opened his studio to such an intimate group of students, this should be something to cherish and remember forever.

I believe there are two sentences that are joined by a comma when in fact they should simply be two sentences. In other words, I believe the comma should be replaced with a period.

This is the first time Bruce has ever opened his studio to such an intimate group of students. This should be something to cherish and remember forever.

Or perhaps...

This is the first time Bruce has ever opened his studio to such an intimate group of students, an event to cherish and remember forever.

This would also fix it as the two elements are no longer two independent clauses (see below).

Here's the definition of a run-on sentence:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/runons.htm

A RUN-ON SENTENCE has at least two parts, either one of which can stand by itself (in other words, two independent clauses), but the two parts have been smooshed together instead of being properly connected.

Some people consider this nit-picky, but I think that a professional website should be free of grammatical errors, typos, misspelled words, etc. for best results, and I know I always appreciate it when someone points out errors on my website, and so it's in this spirit that I bring it up.

• Members

Some people consider this nit-picky, but I think that a professional website should be free of grammatical errors, typos, misspelled words, etc. for best results, and I know I always appreciate it when someone points out errors on my website, and so it's in this spirit that I bring it up.

Exactly what I think! That's why I pointed out the mispelled last name.

• Members

Yes, that would work as well. And as a bonus, usage of semi-colons in sentences can frequently make one appear to be well-educated and erudite.
:D

Or... pretentious and stuffy.

That's why I like to combine that usage with the droppin' of g's; I feel it gives me that common touch I been reachin' for me whole life...

... and ellipses... Man, I love them things.

Archived