Can you get any use out of a Droid with no contract ?

techristian

• Members

That's a good question. I have a BackFlip with a contract, so I can't "uncontract" it to find out. But, when I ditched my (very underrated) Palm Centro, anything that didn't depend on getting signals through the air worked.

I suggest going to an AT&T store, where they'll have some kind of Droid thing without a contract, and see what works. However...don't know how you'd get an app in there without being able to hook up to the internet.

• Members

They have a pretty awesome guitar/bass tuner app. Works very well (but uses the built-in mic).

In the November issue of EQ, my Gadgets columns covers three free Droid apps for audio that are really cool. If you're interested in Android apps, you should follow me on Twitter. Whenever I find a good one, I tweet about it.

• Members

Yes it does work. I just got an android Motorola blur phone from my little sister (who got an iphone). I don't have a contract or any cell phone service whatsoever. But as long as there is wifi, I can surf or send and receive txt via google voice. I fact, I have no phone contracts whatsoever. I use google talk on my laptop and that allows me to make unlimited calls in the US for free to any phone. I then use google voice for txting. Works out great and I have no monthly bill. The only draw back is that you have to have wifi. But that's not much of an issue for the laptop, since any macdonalds, burger king, library, subway, starbucks, etc.., offers it for free.

I do have another issue that i haven't figured out. For some reason, my android phone wont long on to wifi if its att (starbucks and mcdonlads are). Perhaps its to make people get the service on the phone. But it works fine on my laptop.

Its not as convenient as having an always on phone or internet, but then I have no monthly bill and that makes up for it. For me at least. :)

• CMS Author

I suggest going to an AT&T store, where they'll have some kind of Droid thing without a contract, and see what works. However...don't know how you'd get an app in there without being able to hook up to the internet.

That's what I was wondering. I would think that you couldn't connect to anything with exception of calling 911 or maybe 611 (customer service - who will cheerfully sell you a contract).

• Members

In the November issue of EQ, my Gadgets columns covers three free Droid apps for audio that are really cool. If you're interested in Android apps, you should follow me on Twitter. Whenever I find a good one, I tweet about it.

Thanks, but I don't actually have a Droid, I saw this on one a friend had. I may pick one up when they're obsolete (i.e., super cheap).

• Members

Yes it does work. I just got an android Motorola blur phone from my little sister (who got an iphone). I don't have a contract or any cell phone service whatsoever. But as long as there is wifi, I can surf or send and receive txt via google voice. I fact, I have no phone contracts whatsoever. I use google talk on my laptop and that allows me to make unlimited calls in the US for free to any phone. I then use google voice for txting. Works out great and I have no monthly bill. The only draw back is that you have to have wifi. But that's not much of an issue for the laptop, since any macdonalds, burger king, library, subway, starbucks, etc.., offers it for free.

I do have another issue that i haven't figured out. For some reason, my android phone wont long on to wifi if its att (starbucks and mcdonlads are). Perhaps its to make people get the service on the phone. But it works fine on my laptop.

Its not as convenient as having an always on phone or internet, but then I have no monthly bill and that makes up for it. For me at least.
:)

Now that's what I'm talking about. We haven't had any Droid refurbs around YET , but I have seen Blackberry phones under $100 and within a year I'm sure that I will see Droid.

So far the best contract for the HTC Desire (droid latest os in Canada) is $79 X 2 for each phone (my wife and me together) , 700 minutes for 2 people to share everything , free after 6pm and weekends. NO DATA PACKAGE NECESSARY. The saleman said we could use the built in WIFI. Up to $500 to buy out our old contracts or to apply to future months of service. Telus 3 year contract ....$60 a month.

..............................................but free is better.

Dan

Archived