The same thing that happened in the music biz is now happening in the publishing biz

Smart Alec

• Members

I can read a little.

His book is world literature!

Saviors of the Galaxy

The Reeshi Moon was a haven for oxygen breathers.

It gleamed against the dark of space with soft luminous shades of green and violet and tan, wrapped in bright golden clouds. Its Jovian primary glowed balefully in the distance, girdled with bands of bronze and crimson.

A Zhianese dreadnaught approached it slowly, a hulking black ovoid mass with downspread tendrils that seemed to reach toward the little orb like the talons of some malevolent predator.

They would probably find their human here, where it would likely be the only one of its kind.

They were here to reclaim it

• Members

People don't want to pay for digital stuff. Digital is "free."
:idk:

Terry D.

And yet, sales of ebooks surpassed paper books on Amazon earlier this year. You could actually put your groupie story on Amazon yourself, Terry. Barnes and Noble, too. You don't need permission from anybody and the costs are minimal.

E-readers are becoming very popular. People who have them will pay to download stuff onto them. (What you say has been true of internet audiences, but ebooks are a different deal.)

Some indie writers have made tons of money. Try googling Amanda Hocking and John Locke (yeah, the name is the same as the guy from Lost, BFD) and check out how well they've done...

Or if you go through Smashwords, your book will eventually make its way to B&N, Sony, Kobo, the Apple iBookstore, and several other places. And even to Amazon, eventually, though that channel isn't up and running yet. You can set the price yourself.

I actually think this would be an interesting experiment. You might be surprised how well you did. I would be willing to format the thing for Smashwords for you and design a simple cover for nothing. Just to see what happens....

• CMS Author

There's a new critter called an "indie writer", and the breed is flourishing.

Is anyone else here involved with that?

I've been an "indie writer" for years, and I've only survived at it because I'm indie-pendently wealthy. I self-published The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder Manual about 5 years ago and just today I got a check for $32.02 for last month's sales. At that rate, by about 2021 I should have saved enough money to buy a new set of spark plugs for the Ferrari in the garage.

And I STILL don't get paid for all the helpful information that I write here and other similar places of ill repute.

• Members

You can peek at my book here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/82074

Good on you for writing your own book. Seriously, every one talks about it, and only 1 in 3 (?) actually get around to doing it. Kidding... more like 1 in 5! ;)

Anyway, here's a quick observ. You're addicted to adjectives, you're {censored}ing injecting them straight into your veins, and for some reason, you love them in pairs. It's almost like you pair these guys up so they won't get lonely. A quick example:

"The (1) murky (2) violet sky spread above him, streaked with (1) acidic (2) golden clouds. The ancient metropolis surrounded him, (1) somber (2) square masses of (1) weathered (2) brown stone. (1) Tangled (2) dark greenery sprouted copiously from (1) cracked (2) pitted surfaces, despite the cold gloom and the (1) brisk (2) moaning wind.

A (1) crumbling, (2) overgrown ruin, abandoned at present

• Members

I have noticed that ebook pricing is strange. Amazon has a decent selection of 99 cent ebooks. Some want to go 1.99, some 2.99 on up. But, some publishers want to introduce ebooks at exactly the same price as the hard copy goes for. If I was an author, I wouldn't want my ebook selling for 14 dollars, It seems that pricing is a recipie for failure.

• Moderators

I'm currently reading Beautiful, Naked & Dead by Josh Stallings. Self published and not for long. In the gritty modern L.A. noir style of Charlie Houston. There is a lot of really bad crap in the self published eBook world but there are also some great newcomers you catch as they grow.

http://www.amazon.com/Josh-Stallings/e/B004SVIBNU

• CMS Author

If I was an author, I wouldn't want my ebook selling for 14 dollars, It seems that pricing is a recipie for failure.

It depends on the market your book is in. If you think it'll sell 100,000 copies at a buck, fine. That's a decent year's income for most people. But if it's only going to sell 500 copies (being in competition with all the other dollar downloads) then you'd better start thinking about how long you can crank out one a week, and what else you can do to earn a living.

• Members

The Reeshi Moon was a haven for oxygen breathers.

It gleamed against the dark of space with soft luminous shades of green and violet and tan, wrapped in bright golden clouds. Its Jovian primary glowed balefully in the distance, girdled with bands of bronze and crimson.

A Zhianese dreadnaught approached it slowly, a hulking black ovoid mass with downspread tendrils that seemed to reach toward the little orb like the talons of some malevolent predator.

They would probably find their human here, where it would likely be the only one of its kind.

They were here to reclaim it

Archived