Need a Los Angeles Sherpa

js1

• Members

Got a business trip coming up that has me flying into LAX, then driving down the coast. By coincidence, it's the weekend that the Bass Player Live event is happening in LA. So, I'm arriving a day early.

The bass event is being held at SIR Studios on Sunset in Hollywood. I usually Hotwire a hotel to save a few bucks, which means that I can pin down the area, but not the property. Now, not really knowing the lay of the land, is there areas that I should avoid when looking for a hotel?

LAX area would be predictable, but boring.

js

• Members

Thanks! That's just the kind of friendly advice that I'm looking for!

As someone who's does extensive travelling all over the world, yes, I am quite capable of booking a hotel. I have visited LA a number of times throughout my life, and my impression of Hollywood (and LA in general) is nice and nasty being in very close proximity to each other. So, I was hoping that a friendly forumite might be able to help me with the differences between North/South/East/West/Central Hollywood.

Guess I was wrong.

js

• Members

In general, the further east you go, the nastier things get. The closer to the beach, the better. West Hollywood, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica are all nice to very nice (though I don't know what your budget is - these areas can get expensive). Central Hollywood is a mixed bag - you can find a decent place there but a lot of dives too. Avoid the east side of Hollywood, avoid most of downtown L.A. and anywhere east of there, avoid the Southside unless you are near the beach (LAX area/Redondo/Manhattan beaches). North Hollywood has some nice areas in the hills (Laurel Canyon etc), but most of what is called North Hollywood is actually in the Valley - which is generally not unsafe, but boring compared to the more intown areas.

Venice, my old stomping grounds, is a funky beach community as you no doubt know... fun to visit and hang out, but you don't necessarily want to stay there without a firm recommendation for a hotel. Topanga Canyon is also a really cool place to hang, if you can find a hotel there... it's a bit of a drive to get in and out of there, but if you're looking for an adventure, a B&B in Topanga might be really cool.

• Members

As someone who's does extensive travelling all over the world, yes, I am quite capable of booking a hotel. I have visited LA a number of times throughout my life, and my impression of Hollywood (and LA in general) is nice and nasty being in very close proximity to each other. So, I was hoping that a friendly forumite might be able to help me with the differences between North/South/East/West/Central Hollywood.

Guess I was wrong.

js

I don't know why you would think I wasn't serious. Beverly Hills is a very nice place. Even the CHEAPEST hotel there would be nice, centrally located, and most likely, clean. I did a quick Google search for cheap Beverly Hills hotels, and came up with several from $100-$200 per night. I'm sure on Hotwire or Expedia, you can get an even better deal. Below $100 in LA will be in a poor area, for sure. Why not experience the town and have a good time? These are Holiday Inn Express, and Hampton Hotels. I wasn't suggesting a penthouse at the Beverly Hilton. Click the link and see what I mean. It's probably 5 miles from SIR. I would NOT stay in Hollywood, unless you just want to experience Sunset Blvd at night. Even then, I'd experience Sunset, but sleep somewhere less seedy.

http://www.hotels.com/de1448724-qu0/cheap-hotels-beverly-hills-california/

Steve

• Members

Guess I was wrong.

js

Actually, that is pretty good advice. Beverly Hills is very close to Hollywood.

West Hollywood is also generally quite nice. If you get a hotel around the Hollywood/Highland area in Hollywood, it'll also be nice although it'll have a LOT of activity outside. The Sunset Strip by the rock clubs is generally fine as well.

Slightly farther than that, there's a lot of places to stay at around Universal Studios/Univeral City that are close to Hollywood, just to the north. I don't know if Los Feliz or Silverlake have a lot of hotels, but if they do, those are nice areas as well.

There are now plenty of parts in downtown that are nice and safe to stay at now, but with the amount of areas that you can stay at that are closer to Hollywood, there's little reason for you to stay down there.

• Members

I don't know why you would think I wasn't serious. Beverly Hills is a very nice place. Even the CHEAPEST hotel there would be nice, centrally located, and most likely, clean. ...

Steve

Apologies, Steve - my response wasn't directed at you at all. My post was addressing the quoted cheap shot.

I did take it as you intended, appreciated the advice and insight, and will check out the Hills hotels. Also, thanks, Ken and Lee.

js

• Members

LA is a big place, so there are a lot of places that can be recommended.

One you might consider is the Sheraton Universal Hotel conveniently located in Universal City, up the hill from the 101, basically on the hill that separates the valley from the basin. It's just a couple of miles from Hollywood, and a short walk further up the hill, you have Universal City Walk full of restaurants and interesting shops.

she83ex.70399_md.jpg

universal-city-walk-fantastic.jpg

• Members

The thing about LA is that it is so mixed and diverse that you can have a cheap by the hour hooker motel 100 yards from a very nice hotel. Outside of the really high end areas, you are going to find a mix. So its probably best to decide where you would like to stay and look at options in that area. There will definitely be a large mix of hotels around SIR.

Archived