Already made - ANOTHER new one!

stickboymusic

• Members

Hello again

Just sat in front of the mic and this one popped out - it's only the start so far but i think its got legs..... just verse and chorus so far.... what do you say??

EDIT: FLESHED IT OUT A BIT

Already Made.

https://soundcloud.com/stickboy/alre...t-of-a-new-one

Well I sunk to the bottom

I was drunk and forgotten

If you wanna get me out

Then you gotta let me know

Yeh you gotta let it show

That you're thinking about me

As i sit here surrounded

By the only thing i know

I was i could only show

How i feel

Show me a love that's not tarred with regret

Make me a part of your silhouette

Blow me a kiss that don't fall to the ground

I'll be there if you want me around

Shake me and break me and rattle bones

Give me a truth i can call my own

I'm lying in a bed that I've already made

If you wait for the warning

Ill be gone come the morning

You could watch me disappear

Or keep your conscience clear

Either way I won't be here

Tonight

Shake me and break me and rattle bones

Give me a truth i can call my own

Oh won't you save me

Please save me

From myself

• Members

Really nice song. It's got some elements that feel familiar to the ear but that are still original. That's not an easy thing to pull off. I remember the first time I heard "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys, it felt both unique and familiar at the same time.

The chorus is fabulous. These are some truly great lines:

I mean, that's top-knotch songwriting right there.

I can't wait to hear it fleshed out, instrumentally.

• Members

You're on a roll. :)

A few quick, random thoughts.

I'm with LCK. Good lines/imagery, SBM. In fact, I'm wondering whether lines 3-4 might serve best as a riveting & memorable bridge - which as you know, can carry as much weight as a chorus, sometimes even more).

As a chorus, I can envisage something simple - maybe 3-5 lines - that includes the repeated lines 'I'm lying in a bed I've already made'.

Lines 4 & 5 in the present chorus don't feel connected to the context. (I can imagine them in another lyric.)

I don't know how open you are though to restructuring the format.

Couple of suggestions for V1.

Well I 'VE sunk to the bottom

Drunk and forgotten

If you wanna get me out

Then you gotta let me know

Yeh you gotta let it show

That you're thinking about me

As i LIE here surrounded

By the only thing i know

I only WISH i could show

How i feel

Keep or sweep, of course. ;)

• Moderators

Ok.. Don't. I love this. Yeah the silhouette line and the blown kiss line are freaking fantastic. It's funny, in the chorus you're singing the line lying in the bed I've already made and you repeated it identically and then you have that variation on the third line. When I heard the variation on the third I so wanted you to keep going and pounding the insistence of that line over and over again. :-) And then you did! Great.

• Moderators

I don't mean to side line here but... Can you please detail how you recorded this? One mic? Two? It's perfect and I can't seem to manage that guitar and voice live thing very well my recordings. And your guitar is fabulous. Is that the Gibson? Wonderfully dark and intimate sounding.

• Members
I don't mean to side line here but... Can you please detail how you recorded this? One mic? Two? It's perfect and I can't seem to manage that guitar and voice live thing very well my recordings. And your guitar is fabulous. Is that the Gibson? Wonderfully dark and intimate sounding.

thanks guys - hopefully this will turn out a good one.

I kept the mic fairly low and just sung it whilst playing the guitar into one mic......i say fairly low... maybe so the mic is still above the guitar but not too far but so i could still sing whilst sat down....and yeh the gibson

• Moderators

Okay, no the input. The line, won't you save me from myself. I'm not suggesting you even consider changing it but... It was the one thing that struck me as perhaps calling for a little imagery and dancing around the cliché. But thing is I know that's exactly what you want to say. So changing it might be comparable to effing it up. However, because it did cross my mind I'll throw it out there. Something like MJ's image of the man in the mirror... Oh won't you save me from the man who wears my shoes? Won't you save me from the boy who sings these blues? Won't you save me from a heart that will never melt, and from myself. Naa... It's perfect as is, really fantastic.

• Moderators

Tyler agrees. You're going to have to be killed. You're too good she says. And... "I'll buy all his albums and hang them on the wall and one day years from now I'll find my kids listening to one and they'll ask who it is and I'll say oh yeah that's a Stickboy classic and I'll say 'I can't believe you kids are listening to the same stuff I listened to when I was 17. Cool" That's what she said.

• Members

Thanks for asking that...I don't mean to drift off this great little bit of songwriting either but dang that sounds clean, so clean not a string squeak at all. Very good vocals, one mic! Dang, I won't attempt to offer a suggestion...sweet bit of writing and playing...I hope someone is paying you...

• Members

Another one!!! - now you're just showing off Stick…….very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'> …..but that's all right - we love what you do.

I know everyone is taken with the technical recording purity of what you have posted, but as a song, I hope that you will add some more instrumentation to shift it up a notch from a personal ballad in Am.

I think it needs that bit more to make it a shiny thing.

• Members
Another one!!! - now you're just showing off Stick…….very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'> …..but that's all right - we love what you do. I know everyone is taken with the technical recording purity of what you have posted' date=' but as a song, I hope that you will add some more instrumentation to shift it up a notch from a personal ballad in Am. I think it needs that bit more to make it a shiny thing.[/quote'] Oh of course this is no where near finished. It's as basic as it can be.... for a ballad....In Dm ;)

• Moderators
One mic and done.
sorry OGP, I didn't mean that literally. I just like that that particular demo is a piece of MUSIC and not just a sketch pad note. It's a rare thing, even for Stick, to have it all click like it is here. Sure there's work ahead... But this is a hell of a jump start.

• Moderators

Nice. I like the "porting over" to a drum feel. One thing you might want to look out for is losing the vibe and feel of your demo on those "lying in a bed that I already made" sections. There's a certain attitude that you conveyed on those sections that is missing here. I think if you were to cut back the kick on those sections to just the 1 and build

(1) Lying in a bed that I already made

​(1) Lying in a bed that I (3) already made

(1) ​Lying in a (2) bed that I (3) already made

That might open up that those sections to convey that mood push your demo has there. To be clear, I'm only talking those "lying in a bed that I already made" sections.

• Members

But it's good noise.

I love the high-pitched single note behind the opening lines and the reverse instrumentation at the end.

To my ears it's done. The only question I ask is whether the vocal volume of the chorus could be raised a tad, as the vocal has become a bit overpowered and the lyric is hard to hear.

Archived