Friday Influences Thread 08-29-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

So what's is SO important that you can't take 3 minutes and freaking post? Huh? Coffee needs to be brewed? Gotta jump in the shower? Boss will catcha posting? PRIORITIES!!!! Kids today! Caffeine, hygiene and income take a back seat to music! Learn it! No wait...

GREAT LYRIC! GREAT TUNE!

when we first met

I was glad to be your pet

like a Lab I once had that we called Maisie

but fetching sticks

was the best I had for tricks

you got bored

you got mad then you got crazy

Aimee Mann - Labrador

[video=youtube;Z7K0Di7jE3c]

Daisy, you

shouldn’t do the things you do

but you’re just so incapable of changing

you lie so well

I could never even tell

what were facts in your artful rearranging

But I came back for more

and you laughed in my face and you rubbed it in

cause I’m a Labrador

and I run

when the gun

drops the dove again

when we first met

I was glad to be your pet

like a Lab I once had that we called Maisie

but fetching sticks

was the best I had for tricks

you got bored

you got mad then you got crazy

But I came back for more

and you laughed in my face and you rubbed it in

cause I’m a Labrador

and I run

when the gun

drops the dove again

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer

daisy, daisy, do…

remember good old Maisie how she waited at the

stairs for you

Daisy, dear

I could almost shed a tear

but let’s shine in the time we have remaining

you’re a tough old gal

but a dog is just a pal

and believe me, my dear,

I’m not complaining

Cause I came back for more

cause I knew even you

did the best you could

And I’m a Labrador

and with me, you could see

it was understood

that I’d come back for more

cause I’m a Labrador

the loyal Labrador

• Moderators

I've mentioned before. When I was in high school I worked at a great old theater, La Paloma. In the 70's we had the most incredible concerts there. The Ramones, The Tubes, Joe Pass, Chuck Mangione, Jerry Garcia, Tommy Bolin, George Winston... and later Eddie Vedder, Nickel Creek, Bob Weir, incredible talent loved and love this little theater.

Back in my day... they'd send an LP of an artist soon to play there so the projectionist could play it before and after the movies. And so the cleaning crew (me) could crank it in the afternoons through a truly astounding sound system. I'd work the concerts as usher and confiscating lit reefer per the fire marshal. :)

laurelhardymarquis.jpg

But this one record... David Pomeranz, never heard of him before or since. It's hard to find anything on him, that record was really great. The night he opened for, I forget who, he had only a baby grand and an old Gibson and himself, clad in blue jeans and denim jacket. He sat at the piano and...

David Pomeranz - It's In Every One of Us

[video=youtube;xd1QnNBZQ2A]

• Members
Why stop there? From one of the greatest soundtracks of all time...

[video=youtube;4c48vs4lwgc]

Forgot how good that song was. Man, I love Aimee Mann. I have to say I always thought of her stuff as being like 95% there, like another 5% and it would be amazingly perfect, but it's always missing *something*, or a couple of lines off. Like the weak title to this otherwise wonderful gem (ft Glenn Tilbrook from Squeeze):

[video=youtube;ArXL7uEQsEg]

It's not fair - sometimes I prefer less lyrically ambitious stuff that nails it 100% than stuff where the writer clearly means well and is aiming for great things but misses. Maybe I'm alone.

---

My biggest guilty pleasure probably is Andrew Lloyd Webber. In my early 20s, my brother introduced me to Evita, which led me to this:

[video=youtube;3R8tRKIiAII]

At the time, the opening sounded like it could have been lifted from an industrial dance song, then this great flowing, almost McCartney-esque melody comes in, all backed by this insanely funky rhythm section (Joe Cocker's band, I think). I was hooked. I loved everything up to Cats and Phantom, which I avoided just because they were so ubiquitous, but loved Aspects of Love. My parents took me to see Sunset Blvd in LA (w Glenn Close). Then I moved on (Pavement, Weezer, indie rock). Some really wonderful melodic stuff to be learned, even if you learn it to avoid it, or tweak it.

• Moderators

I like Aimee Mann a lot because of what you say, Martin. I mean, what is 100%? More than focusing on what's missing or a miss, I tend to look at what she does so well that I can't seem to grasp in my work. I like the fact that I can see her wheels turning. It's like me as a young bass player studying either Stanley Clarke... Or saying to myself, let's look closer at Bruce Thomas from Elvis Costello's band. Thomas, I get it. Clarke, I say WTF? So I learned to gravitate toward artists that I get where they're going, I understand their technique, who are better than me, and I can learn from directly. Aimee Mann is exactly that for me.

• Members
I like Aimee Mann a lot because of what you say' date=' Martin. I mean, what is 100%? More than focusing on what's missing or a miss, I tend to look at what she does so well that I can't seem to grasp in my work..[/quote']

The only thing I know about Aimee Mann is this:

[video=youtube;2vyy8mi995I]

• Moderators

The Beat Farmers. There wasn't a funner band live. Here they are in song mode and not fun mode. Two songs written by pal Paul Kamanski. I played with Joey stage left our right for our MCA release, Buddy the bass player dated my sis for a few years, Jerry payed guitar for years in Glory with my guitarist from Brats and sat in regularly, and drummer alt frontman Dan McClain/Country Dick Montana I'd known for years since The Penetrators till he he died on stage fronting with beer in hand. It takes a young man's life, and it probably will, mining for gold... In those Hollywood Hills

• Members
I've mentioned before. When I was in high school I worked at a great old theater, La Paloma. In the 70's we had the most incredible concerts there. The Ramones, The Tubes, Joe Pass, Chuck Mangione, Jerry Garcia, Tommy Bolin, George Winston... and later Eddie Vedder, Nickel Creek, Bob Weir, incredible talent loved and love this little theater.

Back in my day... they'd send an LP of an artist soon to play there so the projectionist could play it before and after the movies. And so the cleaning crew (me) could crank it in the afternoons through a truly astounding sound system. I'd work the concerts as usher and confiscating lit reefer per the fire marshal. :)

Ditto! When I was in high school I ushered at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol...ster,_New_York)

Some amazing shows - Dead, Airplane, the Kinks, Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Taj, Janis, Small Faces, NRBQ, James Gang, the Chambers Brothers, Burritos, Country Joe,Van Morrison, Livingston Taylor, Jethro Tull, Mott the Hoople, Mohn Mayall, Traffic (as a trio - you should see Stevie run!) Sly, Savoy Brown, Pink Floyd, Hoyt Axton.... And the show going on in the lobby was just as wild.k,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ll (Oops. That was the cat editorializing. Where was I? Oh...) It's hard to imagine the Dead playing in an 1,800-seat venue, but they played there a lot - sometimes until daylight. Floyd played to an almost empty house - it was very pre-Dark Side.

There were really only two albums the sound man consistently played between sets: Workingman's Dead and the Kink's Arthur. "Dire Wolf" and "Victoria" ring in my head like it was yesterday!

• Moderators

Ditto! When I was in high school I ushered at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol...ster,_New_York)

Some amazing shows - Dead, Airplane, the Kinks, Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Taj, Janis, Small Faces, NRBQ, James Gang, the Chambers Brothers, Burritos, Country Joe,Van Morrison, Livingston Taylor, Jethro Tull, Mott the Hoople, Sly, Savoy Brown, Pink Floyd, Hoyt Axton.... And the show going on in the lobby was just as wild.k,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ll (Oops. That was the cat editorializing. Where was I? Oh...) It's hard to imagine the Dead playing in an 1,800-seat venue, but they played there a lot - sometimes until daylight. Floyd played to an almost empty house - it was very pre-Dark Side.

There were really only two albums the sound man consistently played between sets: Workingman's Dead and the Kink's Arthur. "Dire Wolf" and "Victoria" ring in my head like it was yesterday!

Nice!!!

• Members

Been listening to a Bob Gaudio and Bob Crew 60's song for the Four Seasons.

I think this song is amazing. The production has a bit of JoeMeek 'Telstar' and a bit of

'Theme from Mondo Cane' (More). It's totally under-rated IMO. I think this really approaches

some of the best 60's Pop productions.

It was the height of the British Invasion and Beach-Boy mania.

Lc1bVR5I_zM

Now the same song - with the magic of Mono. It totally kicks stereo's *** IMO.

Mysterious things happen in a mono mix. I honestly don't think stereo is an improvement over Mono.

PEvseYmEMNQ

• Members
Been listening to a Bob Gaudio and Bob Crew 60's song for the Four Seasons.

I think this song is amazing. The production has a bit of JoeMeek 'Telstar' and a bit of

'Theme from Mondo Cane' (More). It's totally under-rated IMO. I think this really approaches

some of the best 60's Pop productions.

It was the height of the British Invasion and Beach-Boy mania.

Lc1bVR5I_zM

Now the same song - with the magic of Mono. It totally kicks stereo's *** IMO.

Mysterious things happen in a mono mix. I honestly don't think stereo is an improvement over Mono.

PEvseYmEMNQ

I think you may have a point, at least with this song...

• Members

By the way, the flip side of "Rag Doll" (1964) was a beautiful little ditty called "Silence Is Golden," another Bob Crewe/Bob Gaudio song. It was a hit for the British band, The Tremeloes in 1967.

[video=youtube;xe4qk7Mijlo]

• Members

Bob Gaudio also wrote a concept album for Frank Sinatra called Watertown. His lyricist was a folk/rock singer named Jake Holmes, who did an album titled The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes in 1967. Included on that LP was a little ditty titled "Dazed and Confused," which was pretty much stolen outright by Jimmy Page (though Page changed the lyric and the music just enough to get away with it).

Here's a song from Watertown.

[video=youtube;Lmo8IKXyZW8]

Nina Simone also recorded one of the tracks from Watertown in 1984. Here's Frank's original version.

[video=youtube;kixHCMDWhcs]

Archived