Friday Influences Thread 07-25-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Come one, come all. You too!

I'm still on this tune. LOVE IT!!!!!

Thirteen - Big Star Won't you let me walk you home from school?

Won't you let me meet you at the pool?

Maybe Friday I can get tickets for the dance

And I'll take you

Won't you tell your dad, "Get off my back?"

Tell him what we said about 'Paint it, black'

Rock n' roll is here to stay come inside where it's okay

And I'll shake you

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of?

Would you be an outlaw for my love?

If it's so, well, let me know, if it's no, well I can go

I won't make you

• Members

I've been looking all around Daniel Lanois' work, both his own albums and his very numerous, highly regarded productions. Googling up his interviews is pretty interesting, too. And there's a mini-form on Gearslutz where Lanois made himself available to answer questions if you search there.

This little project of mine lead me to an album Lanois helped produce (and played on) - the singer from The Killers, Brandon Flowers, has a solo album called Flamingo (a Vegas reference.)

Couple of tunes really struck me. No, these won't make the "perfect" list - but the kid has got something very special going, particularly when his stirring vocals get going. Hope to see more development. The lyrics bear attention, definitely. The American heartland vibe, the roots in The Boss, Roy Orbison, epic poetic yearning and so on, are very strong here with no posing - this kid is at least as sincere as Springsteen which is saying something. The album seems pretty uneven to me - these I consider standouts -

[video=youtube_share;3I6GLmq5FhU]

Lanois' notes on this next one are interesting - it's a mostly live, group-type performance recording - a lot looser, maybe even a tad sloppy and oddly structured. Lanois contributes a whole lot - very easy to spot his guitar work - he's even a co-writer if I'm not mistaken. I hear so much potential in this...not quite realized in full yet, but fascinating even so.

[video=youtube_share;xtI2gDuGOjg]

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

Totally agree about Brandon Flowers. From the first time I heard a Killers track, that 'you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend' one, he struck me as a very interesting guy. Very good showman as well. I bought that first Killers CD and was very surprised to find a whole filled great great material. Very good album. And I do dig the solo stuff as well.

• Members
For the uninitiated: Justin O mentioned he was unaware of Big Star on another thread. Alex Chilton, Big Star's driving force, was the singer for The Box Tops. At 16 he had a #1 hit with The Letter. Here he is in '67

I was thinking of posting "The Letter" in the "perfect or near-perfect" thread!

I posted this one in last week's FIT, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Suffice it to say that a) there is so much wrong with this song, and b) that there are elements to it that are irresistible, c) this is one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard, and d) any track that features Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson and Jerry Douglas has to have something going for it!!

Yes, Jerry Douglas does an amazing, roughly 2 min. dobro solo toward the end!

Meanwhile, here's the chunk of "MacArthur Park" that I think deserves to be sung alone, as Tony Bennett does here. (Frank Sinatra does it better, but there isn't a listenable Youtube version by Sinatra.)

[video=youtube;9Q-k9p7BgpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-k9p7BgpA

• Members
Totally agree about Brandon Flowers. From the first time I heard a Killers track, that 'you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend' one, he struck me as a very interesting guy. Very good showman as well. I bought that first Killers CD and was very surprised to find a whole filled great great material. Very good album. And I do dig the solo stuff as well.

I really liked Hot Fuss. Haven't gone on the rest of the journey, for reasons that Nat referred to. Still, Hot Fuss - great portrait of a psychopath on the loose.

• Members
Come one, come all. You too!

I'm still on this tune. LOVE IT!!!!!

Thirteen - Big Star Won't you let me walk you home from school?

Won't you let me meet you at the pool?

Maybe Friday I can get tickets for the dance

And I'll take you

Won't you tell your dad, "Get off my back?"

Tell him what we said about 'Paint it, black'

Rock n' roll is here to stay come inside where it's okay

And I'll shake you

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of?

Would you be an outlaw for my love?

If it's so, well, let me know, if it's no, well I can go

I won't make you

Great song. Winter of 87-summer of 88 I probably listened to Big Star more than any other band.

[video=youtube;8szPhBb-FPc]

The rest of Alex Chilton's career was a great ride as well. Miss you Alex, RIP.

• Members

I was thinking of posting "The Letter" in the "perfect or near-perfect" thread!

I posted this one in last week's FIT, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Suffice it to say that a) there is so much wrong with this song, and b) that there are elements to it that are irresistible, c) this is one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard, and d) any track that features Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson and Jerry Douglas has to have something going for it!!

Yes, Jerry Douglas does an amazing, roughly 2 min. dobro solo toward the end!

Meanwhile, here's the chunk of "MacArthur Park" that I think deserves to be sung alone, as Tony Bennett does here. (Frank Sinatra does it better, but there isn't a listenable Youtube version by Sinatra.)

[video=youtube;9Q-k9p7BgpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-k9p7BgpA

Yeah, MacArthur Park is a fascinating failure. It's far from perfect, but it's also better than that. Greatness is a hard thing to measure. :idk:

Not so obviously flawed but still sui generis - Sleeping in the Daytime:

• Members

We talk a lot about the relationship between lyric and melody. But that's not the only point where the music and the words can work together. Tom Petty has a new album coming out, so I was listening to some of his older tracks. Listen to how he makes the lyrical theme and the harmonic setting work together on Shadow of a Doubt - the little augmented chord he uses in the verse is almost a leitmotif for the protagonist -it's complex, hard to figure out, and even in the happy, resolved chorus she leaves you with a shadow of a doubt.

• Members
The GRAYS! Jon Brion on bass. Jason Falkner singing and guitar. The direct results of Big Star among others...

Lot of prog feel in that The Grays tune. Man, it would be tempting to rush those verses with that super-restrained pace against the big ol distorted electric chords. Good work, boyez.

Ok, I'm coming out! Right now!!!!..I'm a FAN OF POST-GABRIEL GENESIS AND I LIKE A LOT OF PROG!!!

That felt good. Should have done it years ago.

[video=youtube_share;XkNRWjeIVSM]

'tho I don't understand the cardboard-thin sounding production on the entire Duke album...who's idea was that???

nat whilk ii

• Members

As I mentioned earlier up, I've been on a Daniel Lanois research project.

Which project is itself, part of a larger project in which I'm trying to develop my rig (such as it is) and playing style for electric guitar. As advanced in years as I am, I still have only owned an electric for a short time (couple of years I guess by now) and have had an actual physical amp and cab for only half of that time (just played thru GuitarRig till I got the rest of my bargain-basement "rig" going.)

I'm going for guitar sounds somewhere in the range that stretches from Beatles/Byrd to Neil Young to Mike Campbell to Lanois to Bill Frisell to Wilco. And from there, hopefully to something recognizable as my own, unique sound - but I've got a ways to go before I acheive that.

The tones Lanois gets are so very wonderful....he gets that wavery pitch thing going by juking the guitar neck around mostly - same thing Frisell does, plus some ofd-fashioned finger bends. His rig is not that complicated most of the time.

[video=youtube_share;jjDa2TavOgI]http://youtu.be/jjDa2TavOgI

here's Frisell with Ry Cooder, similar vibe, what tones, acoustic and electric...

[video=youtube_share;rog4I40Heko]

my current guitar heroes. Maybe I'll be my own hero someday.

nat whilk ii

Archived