Right the wrong..... finished?

• Members

Hello - just got this finished (?) today.

I have to say, unusually, i havent really taken anyones advice onboard and i apologise for this.... i liked the word "permenantly" too much and I liked the repeat chorus at the end too much as well!

I hope it has come together enough now? If anything is "really" bothering people then I may make some changes at this stage.....I have to say... im pretty happy with how its turned out though.

Right the wrong.

If you're dying to be

caught by the wind

caught by the sea

then i'll be permanently

at your side

We will set our sails high

raise the anchor wave goodbye

to all the people left behind

I guess you tried

You've been running for too long

I'll right the wrong

I'll right the wrong

Be steady and be strong

I'll right the wrong

We'll start again on foreign land

bury your secrets in the sand

one day im sure they'll understand

and we'll go home

You've been running for too long

I'll right the wrong

I'll right the wrong

Be steady and be strong

I'll right the wrong

I'll sing to you this song

then right the wrong

[video=youtube;UlQTZAnAFS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQTZAnAFS4

• Members

Very, very good.

I couldn't make one suggestion for improvement.

The feel of the song and the fingerpicking takes me back to the folk clubs and coffee bars of the late 60's where often there were unknown names playing superbly, but I never heard them again.

• Members

Very nicely done.

I don't think the lyric is quite finished though.

I guess you tried

These hit me as "place-holder" lines. The lead up to them is so beautiful and perfect, then there's a bit of a letdown, particularly on that last line.

Also "people left behind" feels a bit generic to me. And since the music and lyric are so perfectly polished otherwise, I think rhyming "behind" with "sky" and "goodbye" feels a bit jarring. (Behind adds not one, but two consonants to an open "i" sound.)

And I think this line,

"one day im sure they'll understand"

might work better like this,

one day perhaps they'll understand...

I think that fits better than saying you're certain about the outcome.

Beautifully written and beautifully sung tune, though. Very, very nice.

LCK

• Members

Very nicely done.

I don't think the lyric is quite finished though.

I guess you tried

These hit me as "place-holder" lines. The lead up to them is so beautiful and perfect, then there's a bit of a letdown, particularly on that last line.

Also "people left behind" feels a bit generic to me. And since the music and lyric are so perfectly polished otherwise, I think rhyming "behind" with "sky" and "goodbye" feels a bit jarring. (Behind adds not one, but two consonants to an open "i" sound.)

And I think this line,

"one day im sure they'll understand
"

might work better like this,

one day
perhaps
they'll understand...

I think that fits better than saying you're certain about the outcome.

Beautifully written and beautifully sung tune, though. Very, very nice.

LCK

These points were raised before i went and recorded properly and i dunno...for me they work?

I like the first thing as it works in two ways

To all the people left behind, i guess you tried (meaning they tried)

OR

wave goodbye to all the people left behind. I guess you tried (meaning she tried)

And i like this, doesn't give too much away

as for the other thing.... i think a positive remark (whether true or not) is just what this person wants to hear.... and that is the ONLY reason we would go home.

I have taken your comments on board..... but its not bothering me enough to change it and just and get in the same vocal mood/position to drop a line in without notice.

• Members

Hey look! You're near water in the picture in the video.

This is really amazing. I love it. I can easily hear this in a movie. And I don't remember what my comment was... probably about keeping it sparse. To me, this still is sparse... Sounds great.

Edit: You took my "I'll sing this song" advice but put it at the end... where, I think, makes perfect sense and works really well. :)

• Members

Great. I still think that ending earlier was a better way to go in the earlier incarnation, but with this one coming back around (and adding Bee's "sing the song") comes off really well.

Truth be told, I think if I wrote and recorded this exact song, it wouldn't have come off nearly as well. There is something truly endearing about your delivery that makes anything palatable.

• Members

Another observation: I really like how the fingerpicking parts really stand out in the mix...

And a question: What reverb do you use on the vocals?

I did this on adobe audition...its fairly basic but like i said on another post, it doesnt really do midi so i just focus on playing it all properly and naturally, no grid or anything.

I just used one of the in built reverbs that came with it..... quite a lot of it on the vocals to fills some gaps and not too much on other stuff.... nice long tail and lots of early reflections on voice.

• Members

I have taken your comments on board..... but its not bothering me enough to change it and just and get in the same vocal mood/position to drop a line in without notice.

I guess that's where we differ. For me, making sure the song is 100% there is always the first priority.

That said, the song probably has enough strength as is to override the flaws I see in the lyric.

LCK

• Members

I guess that's where we differ. For me, making sure the song is 100% there is always the first priority.

That said, the song probably has enough strength as is to override the flaws I see in the lyric.

LCK

BAD PUN ALERT!!!

Do I detect a case of one man's flaws being another man's ceiling?

• Members

BAD PUN ALERT!!!

Do I detect a case of one man's flaws being another man's ceiling?

I didn't get it until I remembered you speak English without fully pronouncing your "r's".

Hint for the rest of you Americans who didn't get it either: one man's floors is another man's ceiling...

LCK

• Moderators

LCK

He's saying he doesn't really agree with you 100%.

And the real logistics of working a commercial track prohibit him from backtracking at this point on a mild hunch. I do believe if he were agreeing with your assessment in a big way he'd go back and do it. I've seen him do it. But as time goes on in any sort of endeavor, the balance shifts from doable to not doable. All based on perceived merit.

It's project management as much as anything.

Archived