Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Shoula been an Actor... yes... 4!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me it's sooo much better without the rap, middle class white boy....

I forget to comment on this. Yeah, I'm very glad I heeded the advice of Stick and others with regards to that rap. It was really working against the tune. BTW, it was never intended to be a hip hop type rap. I hope that was obvious. I got no skillz. I know you know that. I just want you know that I know that.

Nomsayin'?

Comment

Nomsayin'?

Yo Bro
      'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
      CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Yo Bro

I clearly should've had you do that rap!

Comment

I clearly should've had you do that rap!

.....the pump don't work 'cos the vandals stole the handle........
          'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
          CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

now ^there's^ an idea! Don't temp me!

Comment

now ^there's^ an idea! Don't temp me!

Gorn - be tempt.
              CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

OK, this one has been bouncing around in my head all morning and I have two thoughts.

1) You don't need anything more as far as hooks go. It has more than enough staying power as it is and just the title alone brings those parts immediately to mind.

2) Stick is on the right track, but the more I consider it, the more I think he is snipping the wrong part. To me, the rap part - even without the rap - is the offender here. For my money, you should do as such:

20 - 2:15: Keep intact
                2:15 - 2:23: Keep, but add elements of a build here, as if the song is getting ready to really explode, then jump directly to 2:37 as is, so you get a halt in the momentum but the guitar tells you it is only a matter of time before it all surges ahead again. You can even toss in a Steve Tyler "Guitar!" of "Oh!" once it all kicks back in.

For this idea to work, you can't deek us out on the start of the solo, though. You'd need to trim off 2:39-2:41, so that 2:37-2:38 lick leads directly into a rip-ass solo.

I've played this in my head so many times that I am 100% certain it will work and cure all that ails this tune.
                Don't listen to Justin.
                LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

OK, this one has been bouncing around in my head all morning and I have two thoughts.

1) You don't need anything more as far as hooks go. It has more than enough staying power as it is and just the title alone brings those parts immediately to mind.

2) Stick is on the right track, but the more I consider it, the more I think he is snipping the wrong part. To me, the rap part - even without the rap - is the offender here. For my money, you should do as such:

20 - 2:15: Keep intact
                  2:15 - 2:23: Keep, but add elements of a build here, as if the song is getting ready to really explode, then jump directly to 2:37 as is, so you get a halt in the momentum but the guitar tells you it is only a matter of time before it all surges ahead again. You can even toss in a Steve Tyler "Guitar!" of "Oh!" once it all kicks back in.

For this idea to work, you can't deek us out on the start of the solo, though. You'd need to trim off 2:39-2:41, so that 2:37-2:38 lick leads directly into a rip-ass solo.

I've played this in my head so many times that I am 100% certain it will work and cure all that ails this tune.

Cool! I'll look into this. I like it. As far as a "rip ass" solo goes though, I'm afraid that's all I got. I don't really want to redo that. I like it. So, that's about as rip ass as it's going to get unfortuanately.

Comment

Cool! I'll look into this. I like it. As far as a "rip ass" solo goes though, I'm afraid that's all I got. I don't really want to redo that. I like it. So, that's about as rip ass as it's going to get unfortuanately.

OK... consider it looked into. That's great. It's almost what I did from the start but not quite as fleshed out as your take. My intention was to edit out those stops in the drum track but then I started seeing the potential of the section. I think I like your idea of snipping off the solo warm up riff as well and just right into it. Very nice the way you've detailed your idea.

I think it's a winner. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I will strike a disparaging remark. I like the Rap version. This version is quite good, of course. But there's more meat on the bone with the whole Rap thing. Of course both versions stand quite nicely side by side. With this, non-rap-version, I am aware that the song is basically over at 2:12. Everything after that is repeat, or instrumental of repeat. I find that kinda tiring*. Of course I'm not much of a pop guy. But the last minute and a half doesn't offer anything new. That's sort of why I like the Rap and then a quick return to chorus and out. It sounds fresher.

But of course both versions are very excellent.

(* - My philosophy is to leave the listener wanting more; not tired and waiting for the end. I found myself tired at the end of this. Of course, as I said, I'm not much of a pop guy. You certainly hold my attention strong for the first 2:12.)
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxDwt26FZc
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marshallsongs
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/marshallsongs

Comment

Well, I will strike a disparaging remark. I like the Rap version. This version is quite good, of course. But there's more meat on the bone with the whole Rap thing. Of course both versions stand quite nicely side by side. With this, non-rap-version, I am aware that the song is basically over at 2:12. Everything after that is repeat, or instrumental of repeat. I find that kinda tiring*. Of course I'm not much of a pop guy. But the last minute and a half doesn't offer anything new. That's sort of why I like the Rap and then a quick return to chorus and out. It sounds fresher.

But of course both versions are very excellent.

(* - My philosophy is to leave the listener wanting more; not tired and waiting for the end. I found myself tired at the end of this. Of course, as I said, I'm not much of a pop guy. You certainly hold my attention strong for the first 2:12.)

Man, this forum is so slow lately. I've been trying to respond and have been unable. OK...

I agree with your reasoning above. That the middle section brings a much needed change and relief to the repetition of the tune. Still, I'm much preferring the rap gone. See, ya, let's hope not. So I'm pretty sure it's gone. Whether or not chopping that middle section is a mistake or not, I really don't think I'll know till I try it. So I think for now... I think... that's where I'll go next.

Thanks for this input. I agree with where you're coming from. That's the frustrating part for me. I'm torn on this one in a lot of ways.

Comment

Well you do damn good work. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud. Take it or leave it.

You da man.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxDwt26FZc
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marshallsongs
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/marshallsongs

Comment

Well you do damn good work. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud. Take it or leave it.

You da man.

No worries and as always, thanks for the honest input. It always helps.

Comment

I miss the rap as well but this version is so much better as it is and I think it ends quite nicely. Lot's of things caught my attention from a production standpoint.....

The bells that mirror the hook, and particularly the distorted guitar that does the same. Those are very cool and really drive that hook home

The way the vocals move around......the listener needs to be paying attention and the payoff for that attention is big.

The 'ooheeeooohs'.......bringing them more in to focus at the end is a winner.

After another listen....I don't miss the rap so much.

Great tune.
                              Leonard Scaper

Comment

I miss the rap as well but this version is so much better as it is and I think it ends quite nicely. Lot's of things caught my attention from a production standpoint.....

The bells that mirror the hook, and particularly the distorted guitar that does the same. Those are very cool and really drive that hook home

The way the vocals move around......the listener needs to be paying attention and the payoff for that attention is big.

The 'ooheeeooohs'.......bringing them more in to focus at the end is a winner.

After another listen....I don't miss the rap so much.

Great tune.

Thanks Len. I always stop when there's Len input. Thank you. The next version is an attempt to take those points you made a little further. Thank you, sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X