Attn: DW 9002/8002 Double pedal players!!!

Andy315

• Members

I just set up my brand new 9000 double today and noticed that in order to match the height of my 2 foot boards, the chains had to be a what I'll call drastically different height settings. The slave pedal is set all the way at the lowest and the main pedal is at about half way up. Looks a lot like this pic off the DW site:

9000-Pedals.jpg

Now I've had 2 other 9000 doubles in the past and never ran into this. Come to think of it I've never had this on any of my double pedals. I was wondering if any of you had noticed this same thing with your pedals?

• Members

not seeing what you think I might be over looking. Here's whats happening on my pedal. Out of the box when all set up the beaters weren't even so I adjusted the "Slotted stroke adjustment" to get them even with each other. After that I checked the foot board angles to make sure they matched and they didn't. Now the only way on these pedals to adjust the foot board angle without affecting the travel of the beater to the head is by moving the chain forward or backward. Now normally the 2 chains would be set to the same position to get the same angle right? Well mine were already set the same! So I make the proper adjustments to even them out and now the slave pedal's chain is in the "lowest" position and the main pedal's chain is set about half way. The 2 pedals are even now but, if I want to play them any lower than they are I can't since the slave pedal can't go any lower.

• Members

I unboxed my new 7002 last night and all was well. Goofy suggestion but are you sure you had the slave in the proper position when connecting that....errr....arm-thingy to it? Perhaps it was 90 degrees out of position?

Good luck on it though, I'm outty

• Members

Are the spring tensions the same? It's probably due to the added weight of the slave pedal linkage thats causing the difference. I haven't used a double in a decade, and I forget how I used to fix this problem. This is part of the reason I like two kicks, instead of a double.

• Members

not seeing what you think I might be over looking. Here's whats happening on my pedal. Out of the box when all set up the beaters weren't even so I adjusted the "Slotted stroke adjustment" to get them even with each other. After that I checked the foot board angles to make sure they matched and they didn't. Now the only way on these pedals to adjust the foot board angle without affecting the travel of the beater to the head is by moving the chain forward or backward. Now normally the 2 chains would be set to the same position to get the same angle right? Well mine were already set the same! So I make the proper adjustments to even them out and now the slave pedal's chain is in the "lowest" position and the main pedal's chain is set about half way. The 2 pedals are even now but, if I want to play them any lower than they are I can't since the slave pedal can't go any lower.

I've owned many DW pedal's including the one you have now. I have to say, I've never observed the problem you are mentioning. At the time, I more or less just grabbed the pedal out of the box and played it with no issue.

It's very possible that the "factory settings" may have been re-adjusted for whatever reason. Now it's all jacked up like you say.

It should be relatively easy to get them back to the factory settings...or at least, where the angle of both footboards are the same.

I sent the link to the instruction manual for a reason, so you can look at it and all the possible adjustments the pedal makes. If you read it, the foot board angle is adjustable. In combination with the torque position, you can acheive the desired angle and torque. When you adjust one side to your liking, adjust the other side the exact same way so they match.

Yes, like somebody has said, make sure you have the universal joint rod in the proper postion, or else the slave pedal will be way out of position. Ten bucks says this is the real problem you are having. In a hurry, I've set up my pedals and this has happened to me...of course I panic and say to myself, "{censored}, I broke it" On second look, it's apparent what I did.

Good luck. If you are still having problems...take a picture of the pedal and send it here...it will easier to see what's going on.

• Members

okay so I double checked everything and still no luck. One foot board still sits at a higher angle than the other even though the chains are set the same. I've taken some pics to show what's happening.

First Here's a pic of the slave pedal with the connecting bar attached to show that it's not just simply in the wrong position.

DSC01454.jpg

Next here's a pic of the springs to show that they're matched in tension.

DSC01455.jpg

Now that those have been eliminated let's move on. Here's a pic of the beaters to show that they are even with each other and not to blame for the difference in foot board height.

DSC01447.jpg

Okay now for the last 2 pics I took. These are of the chain on each pedal showing that they're at the same position.

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

Now even though they are set the same the left (slave) pedal's foot board is at a greater angle than the right (main) pedal's is.

I called DW as soon as I set this up and noticed it. Their response was that "they'll never be exactly the same and that there's always going to be a little variation from pedal to pedal." I understand that but...with the way these are right now if I liked the feel of the main pedal at it's lowest chain adjustment I can't play it there because I can't match the slave pedal to it since it's always higher. See my predicament?

• Members

or the cam?

Also checked that. I even went so far as to take cam off and try each different position to see if it helped any...one did make a difference but, it was the exact opposite of what I've got now. Rather than the board being too high, it was now too low!!!

I've emailed the pictures to DW's customer service as they suggested so hopefully I'll hear back Monday. They've been pretty good in the past in dealing with issues like this for me. On the last 9002 I had the chains were pulling on a slant and rubbing on the metal of the cam rather than the felt. They issued me an RA# and about a week later I had a new pedal. Hopefully they'll pull through again!

• Members

What about where the chain attaches to the foot board. Is one shorter than the other?

Nope....chains and everything about them are identical...I really don't see how it's just like this. I mean unless there's something ins the slave side of the main pedal that is adjusted at the factory that somehow got out of whack.

• Members

Just detach the frigging linkage from the slave pedal, allow the pedal to flatten out a bit and then reattach the linkage. This seem painfully obvious to me.

Look at the {censored}ing thing. It's obvious that it is rotated too much. You simply connected the linkage to the pedal when it was in the wrong position.

• Members

Same, +1

Oh my god, how many times do I have to say it and how many pictures do I have to provide to back it up that it is NOT just a matter of connecting in a different position. Oh, and for the record, I'm a touring drum tech. I get paid a descent amount of money by professional bands to set up their gear. I know how to connect the slave pedal to the main pedal.

Let's take a look at some new pics I took just for you two:

Here you can see the pedal as I normally have it connected:

(Note that the beater holder on the slave pedal is in fact in the correct position to be used as an independent pedal, again proving that its in the right position.)

DSC01456.jpg

Here you can see where I've turned the cam away from the camera and reconnected to appease you two:

DSC01457.jpg

Guess I just busted that theory...again, and again.

Now here's pictures of just the slave pedal in all "possible" positions. I say possible because the 4th one isn't even close to realistic:

DSC01458.jpg

That's the same position as the first picture. (Again, note that the beater holder on the slave pedal is in fact in the correct position to be used as an independent pedal, again proving that its in the right position.)

DSC01459.jpg

Same as the second picture with the cam spun away from the camera.

Now the new "third position." This is with the cam spun towards the camera. As you can see the square post can't even flatten out due to the chain maxing out. You might say "lower the chain position and it will flatten out" but, that results in an even greater difference between the two pedals than I had in the first place.

DSC01460.jpg

There's only 4 sides to the connection on the slave pedal so its not just as simple as spinning it back a little and reconnecting. Now that the idea that its just the connection at the linkage has been completely blown out of the water, any other thoughts?

• Members

Last time I checked, the DW9000 has a free floating rotor drive system, so your picture of the "beater holder" being in the correct position means nothing other than the fact that it had not been put into the correct position once the angle of the pedal board had been adjusted. Guess I just busted THAT theory...

Regardless, I'm pretty sure there is an allen wrench adjustment that can be made to allow the slave pedal attachment to turn freely. The DW 9000 also, if memory serves me, has an "infinite adjustable cam" and I am reasonably sure that if one was set to one extreme and one was set to the other, if would cause a disparity between the two.

And for the record, I don't care whether or not you're a touring drum tech. If you were any good, you'd know that pedal inside and out. The fact that you don't seem to understand the independent adjustments on the pedal suggest that you're not. Actually, the fact that you picked a DW9002 over other options suggests that your ability to make rational decision might be a bit suspect in and of itself.

• Members

And for the record, I don't care whether or not you're a touring drum tech. If you were any good, you'd know that pedal inside and out. The fact that you don't seem to understand the independent adjustments on the pedal suggest that you're not.

I don't care what you think of me. Also I know the pedal inside and out and there is no non-factory adjustment that can be made to fix my problem. Again, touring tech, hired by professionals, obviously know what I'm doing otherwise I wouldn't get paid.

Please leave my thread unless you have HELPFUL suggestions. Not just saying the same wrong one over and over.

• Members

pretty sure I just figured out what's causing my troubles...and it has nothing to do with adjustments or anything like that but, everything to with DW making a small change to the design probably to save a few bucks.

For reference I'm going to post the stock photo of the 9000 from the DW site and also the stock photo of the 8000 too. You'll see why shortly.

9000-Pedals.jpg

8000-Pedals.jpg

Check this out:

If you look at any 9000 double from last year or earlier you'll notice the cam on the slave pedal looks like this:

5.jpg

Now if you look at old stock photos you'll notice the chains match in height settings like this:

f73020912.jpg

(note the angle the bottom of the cam is at)

Now compare that last pic to the new stock photo I posted at the top. What's different? The cam, right. Now look at the angle of the cams and chain heights in the newer photo and compare to the older. The bottom slants upward slightly.

Now go back and look at the photo I posted of the 8000. If you compare the angle of the 8000 cams to the 9000 cams you can see the 8000's are flatter where as the 9000 slant up a little. Notice anything else? The slave pedal for the 8000 is now identical to the 9000! Since introducing the 9000 lefty double they've cut the cost of casting a lefty version of the original slave cam by switching both versions to the 8000 slave cam. Now since the 8000 slave cam sits flatter that then old style 9000 that would cause my footboards to be at different heights even though the chains and angles are set the same! I really can't believe something that dumb is causing my problems but, it is and even worse its right there on the DW site and I completely overlooked it.

So, the solution to my problem is to switch out my new style slave cam for an older style. Problem solved. Once I make the switch I will let you all know how it turned out.

Archived