Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz
        View Post

Exactly what I'm planning on doing, down to the types of heads. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

If they're shipping with Ambassadors you might try them out before you jump into buying new heads. You might like the sound. If not you can keep them for Resonant heads.

Can't help you out too much on the mics. I have a SM-57 for my snare and a Carvin bass drum mic. Not the best but it works for me when I play out live.
        Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

View Post

Exactly what I'm planning on doing, down to the types of heads. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

If they're shipping with Ambassadors you might try them out before you jump into buying new heads. You might like the sound. If not you can keep them for Resonant heads.

Can't help you out too much on the mics. I have a SM-57 for my snare and a Carvin bass drum mic. Not the best but it works for me when I play out live.
          Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by the DW
            View Post

Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Quote Originally Posted by lsits
            View Post

Yeah, I think I'll try them out for a bit, at least. I got a 50% off deal at the place I bought the kit from for a set of heads, so I'll always have the G2s/EMAD 2 waiting for me.

Comment

View Post

Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Quote Originally Posted by lsits
              View Post

Yeah, I think I'll try them out for a bit, at least. I got a 50% off deal at the place I bought the kit from for a set of heads, so I'll always have the G2s/EMAD 2 waiting for me.

Comment

NO, is not silly. You said you ordered them?? First off, the new Stage Customs are 100% Birch, like the higher end Recording Custom, which was one of the most recorded kits for a long time. (I guess the Stage Custom birch is a little lower grade then the Recording Customs?) They stay in tune, the hardware is great, although I would at least change the batter heads to really make them sing unless the ambo's you're getting are true REMO heads, mine came with Yamaha heads made by Remo. Are you getting the matching wood snare or a Yamaha Metal "Steel" snare?? either way the snares are great as well.

I don't have anything against Tama, I would gladly own a set, but at least around here, Yamaha has more dealers, customer service is better and more friendly and some parts are easier to find.

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Plus the birch should have a great attack sound without being overbearing or as overloud like the Oak Customs. The Stage Custom has many of the Recording Custom features without the cost! Please post pictures when you get it set up!! What color did you order?? I think that you'll be more than happy with the Stage Customs! Especially with some good heads and tuned up! Congrates dude! Nice pick!
                "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

NO, is not silly. You said you ordered them?? First off, the new Stage Customs are 100% Birch, like the higher end Recording Custom, which was one of the most recorded kits for a long time. (I guess the Stage Custom birch is a little lower grade then the Recording Customs?) They stay in tune, the hardware is great, although I would at least change the batter heads to really make them sing unless the ambo's you're getting are true REMO heads, mine came with Yamaha heads made by Remo. Are you getting the matching wood snare or a Yamaha Metal "Steel" snare?? either way the snares are great as well.

I don't have anything against Tama, I would gladly own a set, but at least around here, Yamaha has more dealers, customer service is better and more friendly and some parts are easier to find.

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Plus the birch should have a great attack sound without being overbearing or as overloud like the Oak Customs. The Stage Custom has many of the Recording Custom features without the cost! Please post pictures when you get it set up!! What color did you order?? I think that you'll be more than happy with the Stage Customs! Especially with some good heads and tuned up! Congrates dude! Nice pick!
                  "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

Are Stage Customs supposed to be "lower" than Starclassics? I hadn't thought so, and I do love the drums Yamaha makes, and I've never been super impressed with Tama (in my experience, they just come across as pretty generic rock drums. Yes, I know that has to do more with tuning, but I stand by my impression of them).

So a better (imo) kit for roughly half the price? No, not silly at all.
                    "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Are Stage Customs supposed to be "lower" than Starclassics? I hadn't thought so, and I do love the drums Yamaha makes, and I've never been super impressed with Tama (in my experience, they just come across as pretty generic rock drums. Yes, I know that has to do more with tuning, but I stand by my impression of them).

So a better (imo) kit for roughly half the price? No, not silly at all.
                      "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

View Post

Actually I disagree. I think where high end drums really shine through is in the room with you. Studio "magic" can be the big equalizer of drums. Some great recordings can be had with average drums and tweaking of compression and EQ.

But in a room with no help...that's where I really hear the difference between a great quality drum and something lesser.

Now that's not to say there aren't some outstanding sounding mid range drums etc, but consistently the drums that have really made me turn my head and say "holy f... those sound amazing" have almost always been very pricey.

Comment

View Post

Actually I disagree. I think where high end drums really shine through is in the room with you. Studio "magic" can be the big equalizer of drums. Some great recordings can be had with average drums and tweaking of compression and EQ.

But in a room with no help...that's where I really hear the difference between a great quality drum and something lesser.

Now that's not to say there aren't some outstanding sounding mid range drums etc, but consistently the drums that have really made me turn my head and say "holy f... those sound amazing" have almost always been very pricey.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks
                            View Post

Ooh! Yes! This! I've replaced all three of my YESS mount ball clamps due to improper use in my early years of the kit.

Don't overtighten, and make sure every few gigs you take an Allen wrench to the screws to ensure they're all evenly spaced/ tightened.
                            Music, music, I hear music

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks
                              View Post

Ooh! Yes! This! I've replaced all three of my YESS mount ball clamps due to improper use in my early years of the kit.

Don't overtighten, and make sure every few gigs you take an Allen wrench to the screws to ensure they're all evenly spaced/ tightened.
                              Music, music, I hear music

Comment

View Post

Hmmm...

Sounding twice as good or not would be an entirely subjective thing. Certainly depends on personal preference, as well as all the usual suspect variables ( head choice, tuning, style being played, room, etc.).

The quality of materials used in the shells notwithstanding...

The non-subjective angle, IMO, is thenbig difference, and usually manifested in non-sound related aspects:

Quality of finishes

Options available for finishes

Hardware (hoops, lugs, etc.)

What comes 'standard'...memory locks, die cast hoops, other fittings, etc.

All those little extras add up.
                                For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Working...
                                X