Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Switching cymbals mid-show

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching cymbals mid-show

I encountered a reality with one of my bands where I may want to switch hi-hats amidst a gig. There's a lot of little details that go into this, including feel, dynamics, sound, etc, but it's something I may want to do.

I guess I question whether it would be worth it. Having two hi-hat set-ups isn't really an option, and it certainly adds some weight to the cymbal bag... any of you cats use varying cymbals within a show, like swapping hi-hats or ride cymbals?

Music, music, I hear music

Can't help you on this one. I only have one set of cymbals that I use for everything. Sorry!

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

Never done this and have not seen it done. Most cover drummers I've seen when faced with gear dilemmas just do the best approximations they can. The better ones and their bands are always blend concious so you don't feel the instrumentation is wrong even if it is. That said and continuing off the top of my head, if you feel the need for an alternate set, it's only a pair of cymbals, go for it. 

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">
      <div class="bbcode_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote">
      <div class="quote_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

Never switched cymbals,but have switched snares.It didn't seem worth it after the gig
        <div class="signaturecontainer">great googley moogley- Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br>Missing the CHEESE And Marko<br><br>Hit it!<br><br>__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________<br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br>Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2</div>

Comment

I've never changed Hi-hats mid show, but I have (on rare occasions) changed a crash out for a smaller/bigger crash or a china instead of a crash. I think changing out a HH may is a bit more involved and you're really pushing for time.  If it's a cover gig, and you have a set break it could work.   The question is two-fold,

1) Is this 2nd set of hats for one song or many?

2) If #1 is "many",  Could you arrange the set so those songs are all together?

My opinion is that I believe the "return on investment" of time, engery, and weight isn't worth bringing extra hats.  I seriously doubt anyone else in the band or audience would know the difference.

DB

<div class="signaturecontainer">CDX,LLC - Custom Drumsticks made to your specs. <br />
          <a href="http://www.customdrumstix.com" target="_blank">www.customdrumstix.com</a><br />
          My Band - <a href="http://www.elevenstandingstill.com" target="_blank">www.elevenstandingstill.com</a> or <a href="http://www.facebook.com/11standingstill" target="_blank">www.facebook.com/11standingstill</a><br />
          My Page (w/ Gear Pics) - <a href="http://www.dannybreiner.com" target="_blank">www.dannybreiner.com</a></div>

Comment

• race81
            race81 commented
            Editing a comment
            Never seen anyone do it....but its possible. just have them ready with an extra clutch already setup. would take what? 20-30 seconds.?? as long as everything is clear of em. Most guys I have seen that want a different hat sound, set them up on a remote system....leaves the wait, and chance for soemthing to go wrong out of the equation.

So what is wrong with having an extra set and running them off of a remote hihat pedal? I have 2 sets, one in the traditional spot and a locked-closed set just under my ride cymbal over my bass drum. Graounted I don't know what your specific needs are, but seems to me you can find a way around hard-swapping them onstage while everyone in the band shuffles awkwardly.

Comment

• FitchFY
            FitchFY commented
            Editing a comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It would take half a day to explain the mind-set I have, what I want to hear, my set up, my playing style, yadda yadda... we all know the variations of someone's gear usage and their needs.

I was looking more for whether someone has done this or seen some pros and cons... at the end of the day, I'll likely just stick to one pair, but I thought I'd see what the ol' HC sounding board thought. Thanks again!

Take a poll after the gig and see if anyone in the room noticed the different sound on that song or songs. Drummers don't count. (In a manner of speaking.)

Originally posted by marko46:<br><br>&quot;Thoose 70's Avedis sound no where like poop. I've heard poop, not even similar.&quot;<br><br>Originally posted by marko46:<br><br>&quot;I've seen some **************** on here, read some **************** on here, even been a part of some **************** on here, but that's some **************** there.&quot;<br><br>Originally posted by Buddy Rich:<br><br>&quot;Be on time, wear a clean shirt, and swing your ass off.&quot;

Comment

• RumStik
            RumStik commented
            Editing a comment

drumtechdad wrote:

Take a poll after the gig and see if anyone in the room noticed the different sound on that song or songs.

That's exactly what I thought. For all our agonizing over nuance, live cymbal sound is most often dismally homogenous...especially to the common listener.

Working...
        X