Timing on this song?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing on this song?

They're doing something clever ... but i can't get it. .png" alt=":smileymad:" title="Smiley Mad" />

I'd get upIf I knew I fell.

i counted solid 4's throughout. (?)
    i miss you, mark
    r.i.p. rudy

Stay with the drum beat. That holds in 4/4 all the way I think. The phrasing revolves somewhat but 4 works as a key. once that becomes familiar you can pin down the other layers.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

all I hear is 4/4 also.  Set  a click to the tempo at 4/4 and watch in amazement. 

• .:Ed Phobes:.
          .:Ed Phobes:. commented
          Editing a comment

So are the other instruments playing some sort of timing trick against the drums in four? It just sounds like something odd is happening...

Drum-wise there is nothing fancy going on - like everyone has said, the whole song is in 4/4 time.  There are upbeat accents that follow the guitar part.

The "weird" thing you might be hearing is:  after the upbeat accents - the guitar part starts on the two of the beat (typically speaking it would normally start on beat one).  Makes it  sound like the beat is flipping around - but drumbeat does not flip at all.

Don't believe anything you hear and half of what you read.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

• 1001gear
          1001gear commented
          Editing a comment

One more thing. The guitar and vocals are on a triplet feel so those would organize into  [some multiple of three / 8 ] with the drum part on shifted 4/4.