Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing on this song?

They're doing something clever ... but i can't get it. .png" alt=":smileymad:" title="Smiley Mad" />

I'd get upIf I knew I fell.

i counted solid 4's throughout. (?)
    i miss you, mark
    r.i.p. rudy

Comment

Stay with the drum beat. That holds in 4/4 all the way I think. The phrasing revolves somewhat but 4 works as a key. once that becomes familiar you can pin down the other layers.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

all I hear is 4/4 also.  Set  a click to the tempo at 4/4 and watch in amazement. 

Comment

• .:Ed Phobes:.
          .:Ed Phobes:. commented
          Editing a comment

So are the other instruments playing some sort of timing trick against the drums in four? It just sounds like something odd is happening...

Drum-wise there is nothing fancy going on - like everyone has said, the whole song is in 4/4 time.  There are upbeat accents that follow the guitar part.

The "weird" thing you might be hearing is:  after the upbeat accents - the guitar part starts on the two of the beat (typically speaking it would normally start on beat one).  Makes it  sound like the beat is flipping around - but drumbeat does not flip at all.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

• 1001gear
          1001gear commented
          Editing a comment

One more thing. The guitar and vocals are on a triplet feel so those would organize into  [some multiple of three / 8 ] with the drum part on shifted 4/4.

Working...
      X