Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice is...

Practice is what you do in an effort to move the "voice" of your playing from your head to your heart.

opinions?

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

The voices in my head are telling me bad things, and I don't want them in my heart.:smiley-devil01::smiley-devil03:

Comment

• race81
      race81 commented
      Editing a comment
      something I can always use, but dont have time for. Usually band rehearsals are for just that, and no time for me time. Practice can be at times, just having a beat go through my head and tapping it out with my fingers.

the DW wrote:

Practice is what you do in an effort to move the "voice" of your playing from your head to your heart.

opinions?

Opinion: Nice prose.

What I do: Work on the bottlenecks; mechanical efficiency mostly.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

the DW wrote:

opinions?

I would say it's an effort to move the voice of your playing from your head and heart to your hands.

"If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

• FitchFY
        FitchFY commented
        Editing a comment
        "A hobbyist practices until they get it right. A professional practices until they can't do it wrong." - someone better than me

...totally necessary...for me anyways.

Keeps my hands and feet in shape.  It is a physical instrument and needs to always be sharpened.

I do view practicing as practicing.  I usually don't go down there just to "jam".  And most of the time if you were listening to me upstairs, you'd probably think I suck because I work on stuff I am either developing or suck at.  Practice for me is working out stuff.  Could be excercise-based - yes boring stuff that is not boring to me.   To me its more boring to go downstairs and play something I've played a billion times already.  I can already to that.  I am making it sound grandios - but really what I am working on could be something very small like a new ghost note pattern - or syncopated beat or some kind of displacement.

When I am on stage, that is the time to express myself.  I don't think about excercises - I just play - and PRAY the stuff I worked on at home sinks in.  The times you are on the bandstand is when you let go and let god.  Honestly, the moment you start "thinking" about playing your practices - you will just blow it or it will SOUND like you are playing an excercise.  "Stream of consciencness" is what I'd like to sound like - but really, its not that way at all because its all worked out already.  It's inside you, does that make sense?

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

• the DW
        the DW commented
        Editing a comment

vinniewannabe wrote:

...totally necessary...for me anyways.

Keeps my hands and feet in shape.  It is a physical instrument and needs to always be sharpened.

I do view practicing as practicing.  I usually don't go down there just to "jam".  And most of the time if you were listening to me upstairs, you'd probably think I suck because I work on stuff I am either developing or suck at.  Practice for me is working out stuff.  Could be excercise-based - yes boring stuff that is not boring to me.   To me its more boring to go downstairs and play something I've played a billion times already.  I can already to that.  I am making it sound grandios - but really what I am working on could be something very small like a new ghost note pattern - or syncopated beat or some kind of displacement.

When I am on stage, that is the time to express myself.  I don't think about excercises - I just play - and PRAY the stuff I worked on at home sinks in.  The times you are on the bandstand is when you let go and let god.  Honestly, the moment you start "thinking" about playing your practices - you will just blow it or it will SOUND like you are playing an excercise.  "Stream of consciencness" is what I'd like to sound like - but really, its not that way at all because its all worked out already.  It's inside you, does that make sense?

This is the long version of what I was saying! LOL!

DW - sorry yes, and you get the credit! Sometimes I don't read all the posts. My bad.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

..........like a box of chocolates......................

"If you can't SAY something with your instrument, try sellin' cars."-
        The late, great Tony Williams

www.russleonardi.com
        www.zephyrsound.com
        — Sonor Designer Maple shell (heavy) 8 pc. for studio
        — Premier Genista 7 pc. for live gigs
        — Tama Silverstar "Metro" 4pc. for certain live gigs.
        — Paiste, Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals, depending on what I'm doin'.
        — Small collection of assorted snare drums to suit my mood.

Comment

You've gone philosophical on me, DeeDub?

Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
          "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

Practice is the path.  Get on it, start walkin'.

Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
            "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

• 1001gear
              1001gear commented
              Editing a comment

WillyRay wrote:

Practice is the path.  Get on it, start walkin'.

Practice IS the craft. lol

You have explaining to done.

Working...
          X