Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of Crate amps?

I played through one at a guys house and it sounded like it had plenty of mids and had a clear sound. Are these amps reliable?
    Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
    Retired and likin' it a lot!
    Regards. Rimmer

i think they are loud, and muddy. crates sound is very unclear to me. I liked me when i had it because it was about volume, not tone. of course i was 16.
    Oº'I'm not your villain, Not your adversary,I'm not your reason to crack and divide. - Ian

GEAR:Marshall 1960a, Fender Silverface Vibrolux 2x10, Red Bear Cub 50, JMP-1-> Marshall 9200. Squier Super Sonic, Fender Tele Custom RI.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [START]
    'if none of that sounds familiar, think of a super distorted chainsaw jacking off on a ghost.'

Originally Posted by kittycaster

I'm stacking two Strobostomps for better intonation.

Oº'

Comment

Not bad, not great. They're not as good as a Peavey, but they're not as bad as Behringer. They're quite affordable, though, so I'd say they're a pretty good value. The ones that I've played through locally have been fine.
      -Chris

easy image hosting

top two news words by hour

Comment

Here's mine:

My first amp

Crate B1, bought new in 1981. It was damn heavey for a 13 year old to carry a mile with a bass to a friend's to jam.

I still use it almost daily as my living room practice amp. Sounds great.
        WINNER OF THE BONOMAN POST OF THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF HCBF!!! 08/22/2007

Winner of the King Kashue Best topical picture *EVAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR* Award.

You are the only person who has clothes I envy. - D Aussie

http://www.myspace.com/drowka

Fire Sale! Everything must go!
        New Lower Prices!!!!
        Ibanez ATK300RSP BK-$599
        NS CRM4 -$1799

Comment

The newer stuff, (last 5 or so years) Is pretty nice.

I had a 220 watt head with the matching 410 and I really liked it. Just not enough power for a loud band. Nice tone though. The older stuff was crap.
          Ty

Looking for a set of Dimarzio model J's.

Good Judgement comes from experience,
          Experience comes from bad judgement.

Yep. He's the anti-puss. Bnyswonger
          I vote for you having the best avatar! STFF

Comment

Their newer guitar amps are killer. The bass stuff..... meh.... not so much.
            T-40 — "The Original Thread Killer."

Rock and roll is a contact sport.

Comment

I had a Crate BX25 practice amp. It was awful.

I do like Rowka's Crate, though
              Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
              Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
              Attention Whore-T-broom
              I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
              Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
              grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
              Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

I have the Crate TX50 "Bass Bus" amp, it's been my main practice amp since I got it, sits in the living room right by my chair. The built in effects are pretty worthless, but it's not a bad little amp, and it can run on the internal batteries for a good long while. It is kind of heavy, though.
                ​"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
                "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
                "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

ugh, i have a bx-25 amp and i hate it with a passion. i can't wait to sell it on monday. the volume knob is useless because the limter seems to always come on and the tone is terrible. maybe the bigger stiff is better, but mine is shyite.
                  79 Gibson Ripper
                  Washburn P Bass frankenstein
                  Dean Playmate EAB

Comment

I dunno I tried out a 100W crate (Bt range?) whilst looking for a small combo for gigging and rehersals. Its had nice features on it but the Ashdown Electric Blue trounced it with tone. The crate sounded bass heavy and muddy with forced highs. On the plus side it had carry handels and castors which the ashdown badly needs, and its got a cool built in tuner. However tone over novelty features always! (yes wheels are a novelty)
                    Clever/dumb balance restored!
                    My band - Contact Lost - Take a listen, our entire album can be heard on our myspace
                    I also play backing for Iona Bain
                    House of Rock Promotions

Trusty Budget Gear:
                    Stagg BM350: Humbuckers powerful enough to pick up a heartbeat!
                    Squier VM Fretless: Mwah!
                    BC Rich Warlock: For when the funk calls!
                    Ashdown EB 180-15

Originally Posted by Jugghaid

There's a big difference between a revolutionary and a reckless, self-absorbed dumbass.

Comment

Working...
                    X