Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch Cables?

So what does everybody use for patch cables?

I plan on redoing my pedal board in the very near future. I was initially looking at George L's, but I'm not too sure about them. I like the idea of custom lengths...I want this thing clean looking. Then I was checking out Lava cables site...and I really like some of their stuff, but it's DAMN expensive! Right now I use Monster...and I've never had a problem with them, but they are limiting with the non-custom stuff...
    Modulus Mob #2

GK 2001 RB : Ampeg SVP-Pro : Ampeg SVP-CL : Crest CA4 : GB STL 900 : Mesa Walkabout
    Bag End S15D : Bag End S15XD : Aguilar GS112 (2)
    G&L ASAT : Sadowsky NYC PJ5 : Modulus Q5 : EBMM SR4 : Warwick Thumb 5 BO : Yamaha ATT-LTD II

bassgirl9's Wah ha ha! best post of the day award. 2/12/08

I use ones that a local music shop makes themselves. They aren't cheap but they are really nice and have a lifetime warrenty
    President of the HCBF "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!" ClubOriginally posted by Burdizzos- What's the difference between B-Bottom and a Dildo?A dildo was good enough to be in Phoenix Rizin'

Comment

I picked up the Planet Waves pedal board kit, cut the cable, attach the ends (no solder) and you get custom lengthed cables!! I haven't had any problems with them.
      Fender Acoustasonic Tele
      Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
      Epi Les Paul Custom
      Garrison G-50-E
      1984 Martin Shenandoah
      Stiletto Studio5
      Upright bass w/pickup
      Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
      Essex (SX) B-205
      And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
      Aphex Punch Factor
      Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
      Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

Comment

I've always used cheap AXL cables that I got off of ebay.

They aren't noisy, so that's all that really matters. When it comes to patch cables, they are permenantly installed and do not move, so there's no advantage to paying extra money for cables that will sound identical.

Now, if you're the sort who carries his pedals loose in a bag and then lays everything out before each show, then higher dollar cables are probably in order for reliability.

Comment

Now, if you're the sort who carries his pedals loose in a bag and then lays everything out before each show, then higher dollar cables are probably in order for reliability.

Nope...they are attached to my board. I am building/buying a new one (haven't decided yet) so I want to redo the whole thing.

Does anybody like the George L's? I'm not really a fan of the connectors that Planet Waves uses...
          Modulus Mob #2

GK 2001 RB : Ampeg SVP-Pro : Ampeg SVP-CL : Crest CA4 : GB STL 900 : Mesa Walkabout
          Bag End S15D : Bag End S15XD : Aguilar GS112 (2)
          G&L ASAT : Sadowsky NYC PJ5 : Modulus Q5 : EBMM SR4 : Warwick Thumb 5 BO : Yamaha ATT-LTD II

bassgirl9's Wah ha ha! best post of the day award. 2/12/08

Comment

Love my George L cables. Their crystal clear and the ends are super easy to swap.
            "...I’ve wasted so much time
            Coming up with questions
            Asking, “Why?” has never answered much for me
            And really, who am I?
            To never feel the weight of burden?
            When was I promised simplicity?... " -Stavesacre-

Comment

Love my George L cables. Their crystal clear and the ends are super easy to swap.

+1 Another user her. Redid my whole board with them when not too long ago.
              Hidden stuff is fun!

WTB: George L's 90 degree jacks (.155 Wire) - if you got some extra, PM me with an offer.

Comment

+1 Another user her. Redid my whole board with them when not too long ago.

+2.

The cable kits are great. YOu get 10 plugs and 10 feet of wire. YOu can do any length, and also put the plugs at any angle to one another (which is a huge help when connecting different brands of pedals). They also sound very clear.

My only gripe with george L is I don't trust the connections in the long term, but this is a non issue on a pedal board where they aren't moving around. I periodically have had to tweak their connectors on my long cables though.
                The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt

Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.

Comment

George L's. As far as long-term connections go, I've had a Guitar cable for 7 years that has been stepped on, pulled every which way but loose, and still is in perefect working order. Further, if a George L's does take a crap with a connection, you just snip a tiny bit off the end, and rescrew it, thus having a brand new connection. I have a pedal board done with the kit, too.

No I don't work for the company, nor do I have endorsement agreements with anyone, but I am available to take donations.
                  HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

i tend towards the pw cable kit, the connectors are a bit bigger but you literally cannot pull the connector off it you try, nice and reliable. nothing against the george L's stuff either just a personal preference i guess after trying both

Comment

another vote for George L cables, I just redid all the patch cables on my pedalboard last month with them and I am sold on them now ...

"My world..My world...My World,just got darker"-dUg(Poundhound)
                      Member of the HCBF Tube Amp club:
                      Ampeg SVT
                      Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster
                      Ampeg V-3
                      Treasurer of the 12ver club:
                      Black Hamer B12A Bass
                      Translucent cherry B12L U.S.Hamer bass
                      Black APB-8 Fernandes 8 string bass
                      Gabby Hayz CDBABY.COM Page
                      GabbyHayzYouTube Page

Comment

guitar-cables.com does custom lengths for pretty good prices.
                        OK, I'm insane - but I'm still sane enough to know it.

Good deals with awdwon, captions87, sonicarchitect, boytbpc, Firebrand, psyphr, itkindaworks, etawful, bmoncbus, Daryl Chaney, vintage-freak, Claytonjohn and a few others that I can't be bothered to remember.

Comment

THe PW plgs have some tensioning on the barrels that makes sure they aren't going to come out without a good pull, I've seen G L's slide out. Both are grat kits, about the same amount of $$, so I guess it's up to which you like the looks of (I lke the thicker cable in the PW set)
                          Fender Acoustasonic Tele
                          Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
                          Epi Les Paul Custom
                          Garrison G-50-E
                          1984 Martin Shenandoah
                          Stiletto Studio5
                          Upright bass w/pickup
                          Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
                          Essex (SX) B-205
                          And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
                          Aphex Punch Factor
                          Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
                          Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
                          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

Comment

So what does everybody use for patch cables?

I plan on redoing my pedal board in the very near future. I was initially looking at George L's, but I'm not too sure about them. I like the idea of custom lengths...I want this thing clean looking. Then I was checking out Lava cables site...and I really like some of their stuff, but it's DAMN expensive! Right now I use Monster...and I've never had a problem with them, but they are limiting with the non-custom stuff...

Stay away from Monster, or at least don't mix them with other brands - the monster plug shafts are slightly oversized, and loosen the jacks which makes them intermittent when used with other brands. Besides, they're horribly overpriced.
                            ​"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
                            "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
                            "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I bought a few 6 inch double right angle cords from Bayou when I got a few longer ones.

If you need any velcro, see below. /shameless self promotion

Yo.
                              Myspace * Need some pedal board Velcro? * Clips and Songs
                              ***Looking for a black SWR 2x12***

Comment

Working...
                              X