NBD - Godin SD5

Hawkeye

• Members

I picked up a NOS Godin SD-5 at the local L&M yesterday.

- Black metallic with beige pickguard

- 5-string, passive, with P/J Godin pickups

- single cut body shape with rosewood fretboard

- string-thru body bridge

- V-V-T controls

- made in USA from parts crafted in Canada

This bass has a killer tone. The bridge J-p/up is kind of polite, midrangey, but quiet, and a little harsh-sounding up the neck if soloed. The split P-bass style neck p/up however has thick, full, punchy, deep and smooth low end. I really love the thickness and effortless low-end bloom on this baby.

Surprisingly (at least in my experience) the B-string is very tight for a 34" scale guitar. The neck is a little chunky but with the shorter scale (compared to my 35" Laklands) it's still easy enough to get around on.

The bass is overall quite long and with the single-cut and feels like a bit of a stretch to play on the lower (1-5) frets when using a strap standing.

It's a bit of an oddball cosmetically and ergonomically (which appeals to me) but the tone is definitely bonafide 100% old school.

Pics tonight.

• Members

I spent a bit of time on the SD-5 setting it up last night. The neck had a bit too much relief so I thought I'd tweak the truss rod. The Godin-supplied allen wrench was the wrong size so I got another. I loosened the strings got the allen wrench on truss rod adjustment and gave it a good squeeze. Nothing. It wouldn't budge. You always wonder how much torque you can apply to these things before something breaks and I was reefing on it pretty good.

Finally, I heard a bit of a "Crack" and then the truss rod adjustment moved. I gave it a little more than half a turn. It felt stiff, but it was finally turning and straightened the neck out a bit.

Next, I lowered the bridge saddles of the BEAD strings as it was set up with quite high action. Ahh, that's better, much nicer.

I noticed that the D & G strings are a little "twangy" compared to the others. Backing off on the bridge pickup helps, but they still sound kind of nasal and "guitarish".

I've got the upgrade bug with this bass. I'll keep it passive, but maybe a nice set of Nordstrand NP5 split-P pickups and something smoother in the J-bridge position?

Maybe a nice aged white, yellow pearl, or maybe an black abalone custom pickguard? Could do red tort too. That's a nice look with black. A black body gives you so many possibilities for interesting pickguard choices.

• Members

Well today was New Bass Return Day. I took it back to the store for a refund. I decided that the SD-5 just wasn't comfortable enough for me.

The stubby single-cut style upper "horn" meant that the bass balanced a little further outward compared to all my other basses. It felt like a real stretch to play for long periods on the lower frets and caused premature arm fatigue.

Likes: Huge bottom end, very solid B-string for a 34" fiver, cool body shape and I loved the shape of the pickguard, nice neck, substantial bridge, string-thru body, great price.

Dislikes: D & G strings sounded very twangy and quite distinctly different from the tonal character of the B.E.A strings (regardless of pitch). Didn't balance right for me (neck dive and fit).

If I could have gotten comfortable with this bass, anything else could have been worked with to get you what you needed tone and performancewise. Nordstrand make the NP5 pickups which would have been extremely cool in this bass I'm sure.

The Godins are a very stable platform and great basses to have fun with and modify.

• Moderators

Believe it or not, the SD5 balances better than the SD4. If you notice where the bridge is, it makes sense that it's not quite as compact to play as say a standard Fender. The P pickup has to be adjusted somewhat in order to get the twanginess out. I won't get rid of mine, but the SD series is not for everyone. If you think that was a quality product, perhaps the Freeway series is worth a shot. No pickguard and a longer upper horn double cut.

• Members

Believe it or not, the SD5 balances better than the SD4. If you notice where the bridge is, it makes sense that it's not quite as compact to play as say a standard Fender. The P pickup has to be adjusted somewhat in order to get the twanginess out. I won't get rid of mine, but the SD series is not for everyone. If you think that was a quality product, perhaps the Freeway series is worth a shot. No pickguard and a longer upper horn double cut.

I do believe you. I had an SD4 for a little while before I traded it for my MIJ Jazz fretless. The SD-5 balances way better than the 4 and I thought I could live with it, but not enough gain to put up with the pain. It's true what you say about the bridge position. It makes the SD-5 one of the longest basses out there. If your arms are long enough to compensate, you're good to go. If not, you might (like me) find it a bit of a stretch.

The Freeways are definitely way better than their modest price would dictate, and they have a wonderful warm sound to them. A Freeway 4 was my very first bass guitar. The salesman suggested it to me while I was just about to scoop up a Fender MIM Jazz. It was a great suggestion. I ended up trading it ayear later with some cash for a MIA Fender Precision, thinking I could do better. Although I was never disatisfied with the Precision, I regretted having sold the Freeway 4.

I wish Godin would put as much effort into broadening their bass line as they do their numerous guitar lines. They do build a quality product and each one of them has the distinction of being just a little unique in either features, function or looks. They do a good job, I'd like to see some more from them.

• Moderators
I wish Godin would put as much effort into broadening their bass line as they do their numerous guitar lines. They do build a quality product and each one of them has the distinction of being just a little unique in either features, function or looks. They do a good job, I'd like to see some more from them.

Absolutely agree with you on this. Great product. I wish they would have an option of a pickguard still, though.

Archived