Blown away by an inexpensive bass rig.

lokidecat

• Members

Went to GC today and plugged into a Acoustic B200 -> Acoustic 410 -> Acoustic 115.

I was really surprised at the TOANZ!

Then i flipped the price tag.

$249 for the head

$299 for the 410

$199 for the 115

-----

$747 for a full stack?

I almost peed myself. I totally {censored}ing nominate it for HCBF Budget Rig. Ever since GC zombified the Acoustic line, it's selling like hotcakes apparently.

I was expecting something not as good as a "pro setup".. but I will tell you I plugged into a matched MarkBass setup with a LMIII, 410, 115. But i wasn't expecting it to sound that damn good. No hiss. Great equalizer, and amazing range. it sounded great.

The MarkBass was better.... at $2300. Of course. But IMHO, I don't think it was over 3x the price better.

Anyways.. that's my story and I'm sticking too it.

(also, among other basses, played through a RickenSchecter and it was kinda weird, but comfortable)

Also the B200-1x15 combo had an amazing sound for only 299.

and the 8x10 acoustic fridge was on sale for only 499 and had a crazy good sound, but too much of one cab for my tastes.

• Members

The margin on the Acoustic gear is pretty high too, so there's room to haggle. I sold my BA-115T on Craigslist, then bought the B600H head and a 410 cab and still had some cash left over. It's a very simple setup, but plenty powerful, and I'll probably pickup the 115 cab to go with it, too.

• Members

I agree... The 1X15 B200 combo is some serious bang-for-the-bux! The straight-up B200 head makes a great spare. If I didn't have a few portable spares already, (Ashdown MAG300, AI Clarus), I'd have a B200...

The B20 is an amazing sounding little practice amp that gets surprisingly loud for a 20 watter. Picked one up when they first came out at GC, and with the sale-day special, some random coupon and a 'preferred customer' discount I walked out with it for $75! Smokin' deal!

I totally get that this isn't the same stuff as the old Acoustic Control Corp stuff, but it is decent, good sounding stuff at a budget price. Where were these kind of deals when I was starting out??

-robert

• Members

I agree... The 1X15 B200 combo is some serious bang-for-the-bux! The straight-up B200 head makes a great spare. If I didn't have a few portable spares already, (Ashdown MAG300, AI Clarus), I'd have a B200...

The B20 is an amazing sounding little practice amp that gets surprisingly loud for a 20 watter. Picked one up when they first came out at GC, and with the sale-day special, some random coupon and a 'preferred customer' discount I walked out with it for $75! Smokin' deal!

I totally get that this isn't the same stuff as the old Acoustic Control Corp stuff, but it is decent, good sounding stuff at a budget price. Where were these kind of deals when I was starting out??

-robert

That B20 is what got me in there. My guitarist (who's also a very accomplished bass player) went in looking for a portable practice amp that wouldn't fart out on the low B on his 5string, and anticipated buying a WorkingMan. But the guy there was like, "see what you think of this B20."

It was surprising! a 20w 12. And was light weight, too! So ultra portable and on sale for only $149! It handled the low B like a champ.

He bought that, then asked me to come back with him the next day to look at the head/cab Acoustic stuff.

We also found two Ibanez basses that matched (the SR505 and SR500) that sounded quite good. the biggest weird factor was how thin the body was on them.

• Members

So I wandered over to GC today to check this deal out, and it's just as good as loki says.

I wondered how much of it was the Sterling Stingray I was playing through it, so I swapped out a couple of different basses (Epi EB-0, Thunderbird, J-bass) and it sounded great with all of them.

It's on my short list of tax refund musts (along with the Ray). The B200 combo was also killer-sounding (as reported).

Archived