Fender Standard Precision Bass Demo

RockPianoman

• Members

Even though it has one sound, the tone control gives you a lot plus different playing techniques make it sound entirely different.....

If you change the tone control to one that is rated at the right amount of ohms that is detented, it makes it way easier to get a certain tone (count the clicks).....

I like the sound of the P bass much more than the jazz bass....you can also get this guitar below at the link with both types of pickups for more types of sounds.....(I don't like dark colored guitars....they look filthy under the lights on stage).....if it were me I'd get the white or red.....I'd probably get a white pickguard for the same reason and switch it......when changing pickguards on my Strats, I've noticed that many holes don't line up......this is not a big deal.....take a steel set with a fine tip and make dents in the center of each hole and drill straight with a bit smaller than the screws so the screws go in straight....it will look pro when you're done....

For any holes that you can see but that don't line up right, fill them with wood putty and allow enough time for it to harden completely and then drill it carefully to make a new hole......

Keep in mind that it's an inexpensive guitar.....nobody will ever know anyway unless you tell them....

even on a more expensive guitar, if done correctly, no one would ever know....using the set is important so the tip of the drill bit doesn't skate around or make a hole in the wrong place or at an angle.....be sure the pickguard is where you want it....you could make dots with a fine tip Sharpie and do all the drilling without the pickguard in place.....they have silver fine tipped Sharpies at Staples that would work good with dark colored guitars......

I'd also add a thumb rest (I wouldn't worry about ruining the value of a $179 dollar guitar).....I'd have to drill a couple holes for the thumb rest....some basses come with them.....I'd definitely use stainless steel screws so they'd never rust (Ace Hardware)......

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you're going to keep the bass before drilling or changing anything (LOL).....

I enjoy playing bass much more with a thumb rest.....

Bass with both precision and jazz bass pickups (black, red or white):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...pecial&index=5

White pickguard

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...guard&index=12

Thumb rest (look at the bass below with one for the exact location to mount it)....make sure a vibrating string won't hit it......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-and-jazz-bass

DSCN0922.jpg

• Members

Putting in a series/parallel switch is the best mod you can do on a P bass. Its not so much that its changes tone as it does gain. In the one position it allows you to pick the strings really hard without farting out when you have the bass gained up. The other setting allows you to have a higher gain and presence for playing softer bass parts and getting more sustain.

I added the thumb rest to mine, but I wound up shaving the bottom down about 1/2 the height. It made it allot more comfortable to use and was out of the way. When I wanted to use my thumb it wasn't like jumping over a fence.

• Members

Fender makes the bass with both pickups too (but instead of being $179 they're about $700).....read the reviews on both this one and the one at the link above.....very good reviews on both.....I had the Squier many years ago....no complaints but used it in a trade for gear (sometimes you need other gear more)....I'm mainly a keyboardist and guitarist and had used the bass mainly for recording (the new synths do a GREAT job on bass guitar)......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...pecial&index=1

• Members

Active electronics can be good in a bass for getting the most out of your amp. Not bad for recording either because you can even drive a line input and not need additional preamps recording direct.

I still have my old Squire II I bought from a guy for $150 back in 1990. It looks like this except its got Lace Sensor pups in it.

fetch?id=31360161&type=medium

db6777deafa136a2d653c78faca6702d.jpg.08b33f57168b8baaa073173bfb4716d5.jpg

b6a9366e34ae88e232913044db171eec.jpg.b213113e543d0f7dc0afe034d98002da.jpg

Archived