Does the guitar or amp make the bigger difference?

dyroot

• Members

I guess these days $1000 is a 'ton' of money. But why spend $300 here, $400 there, then $600 over this way? Do it right the first time and even if you find your looking for something else change course then.

It's a matter of giving applicable advice. Someone looking to upgrade from that amp and giving that specific price range is not in the market for a $1000 combo or head. Nothing wrong with suggesting outstanding options that cost slightly more but more than triple the original budget? That's just being a gear snob. I love my high end gear as much as the next guy, but you should understand where the original poster is coming from and advise accordingly.

/end rant & hijack, please return to your originally scheduled topic.

• Members

It's a matter of giving applicable advice. Someone looking to upgrade from that amp and giving that specific price range is not in the market for a $1000 combo or head. Nothing wrong with suggesting outstanding options that cost slightly more but more than triple the original budget? That's just being a gear snob. I love my high end gear as much as the next guy, but you should understand where the original poster is coming from and advise accordingly.

/end rant & hijack, please return to your originally scheduled topic.

This is why I think he'll be REALLY happy with a $300 amp..... for the 3rd time.

And I love the quote in your sig. Internet just makes us feel much more powerful than we really are. I feel mighty how 'bout you?

• Members

Consider a decent cab before replacing the amp. $300 at Avatar can get you a 2x12 configured almost anyway you want it. A good cab and a multi-fx pedal/modeler can make the amplification simply that- amplification of a surprisingly good modeled sound into a good cab.

A cheap 15 SS amp's main problem is its speakers. Bypass them to a good cab and you'll be surprised.

I'll go for a few months guit into Peavey VK100 tube amp into my Avatar cab, and then for a few months guit into Digitech GNX-3000 multi-fx/modeler into generic ss amp (a stereo DJ/PA amp) into the Avatar cab. Both home and playing with friends.

• Members

If you can't spend more than $300 get a Fender Super Champ XD. Amazing sounding amp. Won't cut it for gigging unless you can mic it and go through a PA. If you really see a need for gigging power, save your money and wait until you can afford something like a Hot Rod Deluxe or a DRRI. If it is just to get better sounds for practice and maybe recording, you can't do better in that price range in my opinion.

Archived