Could I pick your brain regarding drums?

Mark L

• Members

Paging Saul;

any luck yet?

I downloaded the demo version of Reason, but I don't really know what to do with it :o

Also, I don't have a midi keyboard

Oh and I looked at the instructional video for it, but a lot of the jargon went over my head

I have much to learn.........

All I really want is a drum synth that has in its arsenal 3 or 4 different crash cymbals. Is that too much to ask? :cry:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I going to suggest hitting download.com and grabbing 3 or 4 free downloads (they have both trialware and actual freeware)

maybe something with a reduced feature set will get you rolling

Download.com isn't playing ball at the moment, so I'll get back to you on that one. Thanks for the tip, by the way :)

I've been having a look at EZ Drummer. Looks good. Unfortunately it seems to need a 'host', like Cubase or Pro Tools. Will it not let me simply use it as it is, without the need to buy a host? :confused:

• Members

A couple other thoughts about that. Some of us work with computers all day, in and out of the studio, so we can halfway hangout here and still get everything done. Some of us also think and type much faster than others, so what may look like a lengthy laborious post to you was actually whipped up in no time, relatively speaking.

Most importantly this forum is a creative outlet for many of us... we are constantly swimming in the deep waters of creativity while interacting here. It stimulates and facilitates artistic expression, rather than hinders it. It can provide just the right exercise to overcome songwriter's block or when struggling with a bridge that just doesn

• Members

Yes, everyone is most erudite here and that's what makes the place attractive. The put downs are ever so delicate, aren't they? Saul was asking about an alternative to his drum machine. No matter what he does in terms of moving forward, he's gonna have to know something about MIDI, sooner or later, even if only in a rudimentary form, if he intends to move to a computer based system. It's inevitable. I didn't understand because I don't know one musician in my crazy world who isn't aware of the concept of MIDI, even if they don't grasp the myriad intricacies.

Saul, I like your music a lot. It would definitely benefit from the power MIDI can provide in terms of drum programming because of the nuances that will make themselves evident as you take that journey.

Apart from the other good suggestions, take a look at NI Battery. It still needs a host because that's the sequencer part that is lurking beneath the pads you hit on your drum machine. Its cell like structure is very intuitive and the sounds are most useable and once you come to grips with the program, you can add your own sounds. It definitely has more than 4 cymbal samples. :)

• Members

Yes, everyone is most erudite here and that's what makes the place attractive. The put downs are ever so delicate, aren't they? Saul was asking about an alternative to his drum machine. No matter what he does in terms of moving forward, he's gonna have to know something about MIDI, sooner or later, even if only in a rudimentary form, if he intends to move to a computer based system. It's inevitable. I didn't understand because I don't know one musician in my crazy world who isn't aware of the concept of MIDI, even if they don't grasp the myriad intricacies.

Saul, I like your music a lot. It would definitely benefit from the power MIDI can provide in terms of drum programming because of the nuances that will make themselves evident as you take that journey.

Apart from the other good suggestions, take a look at NI Battery. It still needs a host because that's the sequencer part that is lurking beneath the pads you hit on your drum machine. Its cell like structure is very intuitive and the sounds are most useable and once you come to grips with the program, you can add your own sounds. It definitely has more than 4 cymbal samples.
:)

Hey thanks! :thu:

And here's me calling you a dickhead :o

Archived