Hagstrom Super Swede - please tell me about it!

nick fury

• Members

I've been thinking of getting one of the new reissues - I like the idea of a LP type guitar, but with a Fender scale. I love the looks and all the funky technologies involved, I heard great things in general and the reviews seem positive. But it's still hard to make a decision without actually being able to try one out, although being lefty I'm rather used to this scenario.

So I'd like to hear from people who own one, or had a chance to play it. Is it worth giving it a shot? Is it comfortable to play? Is it very heavy? How's the workmanship?

I appreciate any input.

• Members

Mine is heavy as hell, muddy if I want it to be, bright if I don't. Absolutely top-notch construction. Love the coil split.

My primary gripe is that the pots and switches aren't all they should be. The pots don't taper very well, and the quality of the switches/soldering is a bit questionable. For me, these are still just minor inconveniences, which I've so far not felt compelled to address.

• Members

I can tell you about the originals, but you want a reissue. Find an old one. The difference between a Swede and a SuperSwede is mahogany/bolt, and maple/setneck. I found a Swede for a buddy for $200. Killer, if you like a slim taper neck.

SuperSwede (reissue) is mahogany with maple cap.

• Members

The maple body would make it even heavier, wouldn't it? I haven't been able to come across an old lefty one, yet, so new might be the only real option. I do like a slim neck, I guess my main concern now is the weight.

In that case, I'd stay away. My friend was complaining about the weight of his LP Standard (don't know if it's chambered or not), but my SS is much heavier. It might not be just the body -- I can't help but believe the "H-expander" truss rod adds some weight.

truss.jpg

On the other hand, the SS body has a nice "belly cut," and is quite comfortable to hold.

2280030678_4682d9fbe8.jpg

The only complaint I have about the body is that the cutaway doesn't provide enough clearance, and it's more difficult than it should be to reach the last few frets.

2280028098_6fd7e0441b.jpg

Archived