Coming home from gig in N.C. last night.....

Crisco

• Members

This snow storm was like a flash out of nowhere.

No one thought the weather was prime for such an event as Sunday nights, so we made the drive to Shelby, NC

Showed up and got paid!

They let us go around 8:30 when it was coming down in droves.

We got back to King's Mountain at about Midnight.

I thought we were going to get stuck in the snow

74 main was basically shut down so we had to go the back way to Grover then cross a bit of backroads back to King's Mountain. We hit the Exit 5 overpass on I-85 to see crippled 18 wheelers and part of the interstate going towards Grover NC just stopped (that was part of the big mess that made nat'l news)

It was a hell of a fun night

but I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Quite a gig to remember.

OT Note: Subaru's all wheel drive Legacy is awarded the King Of Cars for getting us through all of it and back to the house .

That is one awesome vehicle.

• Members

I know Charlotte area and north got slammed pretty bad. I live about 15 miles above Durham and we got almost 7 inches. They got about 3 in Raleigh/Durham. Most of it stayed in the western part of the state.

I live in Charlotte. I drove back at noon today and the roads were very good.

I was rather surprised how quick it started to melt. By 5PM today in our neighborhood off Hwy. 51 you'd never have known there was a Major winter storm here just less than 12 hours ago. The asphalt was steaming.

• Members

I live in Charlotte. I drove back at noon today and the roads were very good.

I was rather surprised how quick it started to melt. By 5PM today in our neighborhood off Hwy. 51 you'd never have known there was a Major winter storm here just less than 12 hours ago. The asphalt was steaming.

I think the roads are melting faster today because overall the ground temperatures have been pretty warm. Even though it only got to about 30 degrees at my house today, the roads finally cleared off too. Tonight will be the toughest when all of them freeze back over as the temps fall to about 11 degrees. Tomorrow morning's commute will be interesting to say the least.

• Members

This snow storm was like a flash out of nowhere.

No one thought the weather was prime for such an event as Sunday nights, so we made the drive to Shelby, NC

Showed up and got paid!

They let us go around 8:30 when it was coming down in droves.

We got back to King's Mountain at about Midnight.

I thought we were going to get stuck in the snow

74 main was basically shut down so we had to go the back way to Grover then cross a bit of backroads back to King's Mountain. We hit the Exit 5 overpass on I-85 to see crippled 18 wheelers and part of the interstate going towards Grover NC just stopped (that was part of the big mess that made nat'l news)

It was a hell of a fun night

but I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Quite a gig to remember.

OT Note:
Subaru's
all wheel drive
Legacy
is awarded the
King Of Cars
for getting us through all of it and back to the house .

That is one awesome vehicle.

I have just one word for you: JEEP :lol::wave:

• Members

You wouldn't have believed all of the high $$ cars we saw ditched last night. Big trucks and stuff. How can anyone pay that much for an ATV-SUV urban assault vehicle and not have 4X4 total traction control and beyond? Blows my friggin' mind.

• Members

I think the roads are melting faster today because overall the ground temperatures have been pretty warm. Even though it only got to about 30 degrees at my house today, the roads finally cleared off too. Tonight will be the toughest when all of them freeze back over as the temps fall to about 11 degrees. Tomorrow morning's commute will be interesting to say the least.

Yes it's the ground temperature. It takes quite a cold snap to freeze up the ground so snow will stay. Up here it's usually in Nov. Tepms drop into the -10 range for a week or so then the snow sticks. Then it's here untill spring.

• Members

You wouldn't have believed all of the high $$ cars we saw ditched last night. Big trucks and stuff. How can anyone pay that much for an ATV-SUV urban assault vehicle and not have 4X4 total traction control and beyond? Blows my friggin' mind.

It kills me too. My 6 cylinder Jeep will go through just about anything. I remember when I was roomates with a guy that had an old 80's V-8 Blazer and it snowed so hard there was a 4 foot high drift up over the hood of my Jeep which was parked in the backyard and his Blazer was parked in the carport. There was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground and he was going to plow a path down the driveway with it. He couldn't even get out of the drive. I cranked the Jeep up and even in 4-wheel "high" pushed right through the drift and plowed up and down the drive like it was on asphalt. Man I love Jeeps.

• Members

Because people are stupid. :cop:

I kid, I owned a big as 4x4 for years and never used it very much. The times that it did come in handy I was 'asked' to basically run around and pick people up to bring them to work. I ain't a damn taxi service so I sold it.

For my money the best overall snow vehicle I've ever owned was a little beater Ford Festiva. It just kind of rolled over the snow and weighed so little that it was like a snowmobile or something. I tried to get that sucker stuck and couldn't do it. Plus it was fun slamming the e-brake on in a big snowy parking lot and doing doughnuts.

• Members

4x4 is not much help unless you know how to use it in snow. Also brakes are brakes. 4x4s don't brake any better than a regular car. In many cases drivers get over confident then it comes time to hit the brakes and theres nothing there.

• Members

It kills me too. My 6 cylinder Jeep will go through just about anything. I remember when I was roomates with a guy that had an old 80's V-8 Blazer and it snowed so hard there was a 4 foot high drift up over the hood of my Jeep which was parked in the backyard and his Blazer was parked in the carport. There was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground and he was going to plow a path down the driveway with it. He couldn't even get out of the drive. I cranked the Jeep up and even in 4-wheel "high" pushed right through the drift and plowed up and down the drive like it was on asphalt. Man I love Jeeps.

word. our 6 cly cherokee just walks right by all those "sport" trucks. we had close to 5' of snow and a huge burm, backed right over it.

It's funny though how many cityslickers think that 4x4 will keep them from sliding....whoooos right off the road they go, black ice cares not :lol:

• Members

4x4 is not much help unless you know how to use it in snow. Also brakes are brakes. 4x4s don't brake any better than a regular car. In many cases drivers get over confident then it comes time to hit the brakes and theres nothing there.

This is true and truer in the south where nobody knows how to drive in it. Everyone still rides up peoples asses like they can just stop at anytime until it's too late. The other thing a 4-wheel drive won't do any good with is ice. Snow = OK. Ice = BAD.

• Members

This is so true. The idiots who go blasting past on snowy or icy roads think their 4x4 will get them through anything. It might, they just won't stop once they get through...

• Members

Good to hear you made the drive back safely and you "Got Paid".

It came down here but really didn't stick. Most of it melted right away but then it froze up when the temp dropped. There were delays at all the surrounding schools, not so much because of the "snow" but because of black ice. Of course most of that's gone already.

• Members

It's funny though how many cityslickers think that 4x4 will keep them from sliding....whoooos right off the road they go, black ice cares not
:lol:

I helped pull a guy with a 4x4 out of a DEEP ditch one time. I asked him how the hell he got nose end straight down in the ditch since it was Clearly Evident the Ditch was there. He said he thought he could go through it becaure he had a "Four Wheel Drive". :facepalm: There's no cure for Stupid.

Ironically most of the people around here who end up in the ditch or stuck when it snows are from up North because they think they have Mad Winter Driving Skills Because they learned to drive in 50 Foot deep Avalanches and stuff (or so they seem to think) not realizing that they are usually driving on slush or across a mud slusy here so they get all Cocky and end up stuck. Plus they're usually pretty stupid, not always but usually.

• Members

Because a lot of those people probably opted for the 2WD's to keep the payment down and still keep up with the Jones'.

I see that a lot around here.

And as someone else said, just because you have 4WD, that doesn't mean they know how to use it.

Archived