Tapped and Full on Single-coil PUs?

dimibetan

• Members

If you can see the tone charts of Seymour Duncan...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

...in the "Seymour Duncan Pickups for Strat True Single Coils" section,

the SSL-3 Hot has two DC resistance = Tapped: 8.8 k, Full: 16.4 k and Resonant Peak = Tapped: 5.3 KHz, Full: 4.4 KHz

Is this an option on choosing which pickup you want to buy or is it possible to tapped a single soil which has only to wires?

What is the difference? Which on is good? Im really confused...:confused:

Apologies for my ignorance...

• Members

The chart is showing what the specs will be depending on what "mode" you run it in. You can wire it up to have one spec or the other. Or wire it up to a push/pull pot or mini switch and switch between the two.

You can tapped two wire (hot and ground)?

I know how to tap 3 or more wires, but 2 wire is out of my knowledge...

• Members

If you can see the tone charts of Seymour Duncan...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

...in the "Seymour Duncan Pickups for Strat True Single Coils" section,

the SSL-3 Hot has two DC resistance =
Tapped: 8.8 k, Full: 16.4 k
and Resonant Peak =
Tapped: 5.3 KHz, Full: 4.4 KHz

Is this an option on choosing which pickup you want to buy or is it possible to tapped a single soil which has only to wires?

What is the difference? Which on is good? Im really confused...
:confused:

Apologies for my ignorance...

You are confusing "coil-tapping" with "coil-splitting"

Coil-tapping: a three- or four-wire pickup allows a switched use of a partial-coil. A switch or push/pull pot can allow use of a low- or high-output coil from a single pickup.

Coil-splitting: a three- or four-wire humbucker pickup that can separate into a single-coil with a switch or push/pull.

"tapped" single-coils are lots of fun... dial in the tone you want with the low-output, and switch to the high-output for a screaming lead :cool:

• Members

You can tapped two wire (hot and ground)?

I know how to tap 3 or more wires, but 2 wire is out of my knowledge...

Oh ok..now I see what you mean ( I think). That is interesting. Tapping a 2 wire pup is new to me.

I do know that Duncan will make any standard two conductor wired pups with 4 if requested (small additional cost). Could be something along those lines but strange they would mention it tapped and not have it come stock with the required wires.

Best bet is to shoot the Duncan site an E-mail

• Members

You are confusing "coil-tapping" with "coil-splitting"

Coil-tapping
: a three- or four-wire pickup allows a switched use of a partial-coil. A switch or push/pull pot can allow use of a low- or high-output coil from a single pickup.

Coil-splitting
: a three- or four-wire humbucker pickup that can separate into a single-coil with a switch or push/pull.

"tapped" single-coils are lots of fun... dial in the tone you want with the low-output, and switch to the high-output for a screaming lead
:cool:

What the OP means...if I understand correctly now, is that on the chart where it lists cable....the SSL-3 is spec'd out as only have the standard single type.

• Members

You can choose between PUs with and without tapping options.

Tapping option has three wire (red white and black)...

Now, if we have coil tapping here, does it mean it cancels hum?

Ok, well that takes care of that. You might check to see if the extra option costs more.

I would say no on the hum canceling. That model pup is listed under "true single coil" so it would have all the hum as any other single in either mode.

• Members

Thank you, guys!!!

Im planning to put SSL-6s on the neck and mid, and an HB (maybe JB) on the bridge.

Last question: What pot should I use for an HSS set up, 500k or 250k?

Generally speaking the higher the pot value the brighter. I would try one of each and see which one you like best.

FWIW the last time I had a JB in the bridge of a strat I kept the stock 250K pot in there and was happy with the tones. Duncan even suggests a 250K for the JB to smooth out highs if needed.

• Members

Generally speaking the higher the pot value the brighter. I would try one of each and see which one you like best.

FWIW the last time I had a JB in the bridge of a strat I kept the stock 250K pot in there and was happy with the tones. Duncan even suggests a 250K for the JB to smooth out highs if needed.

Hmmmm....

I usually do pinch harmonics, can I still do that easily with the JB on 250k?

Archived