Just listing to the stooges eponymous for the first time...

Rock_and_roll

• Members

I don't know about that one, but there are some priceless gems on that album that make it well worth it. I like this album much more than Raw Power, although Fun House is their best album as a whole imo.

Gotta agree re: Fun House. Not only their best album, but one of the greatest albums ever in rock and roll. By anybody. Ever.

I really do dig Raw Power though, and probably listen to it more than the first one.

But yeah, the first one has some great stuff as well. I {censored}ing LOVE the intro to "Little Doll" and the wah-meltdown that comes later in the track.

From what I understand reading Stooges histories, Iggy bios, etc..."We Will Fall" was a result of a combination of things:

1) They needed to fill out space to make it a full-length album.

2) John Cale (who plays viola on the track) produced the album and was pushing them a bit to do something more experimental.

3) Dave Alexander (bass player, RIP) was doing chant stuff at the time as a way to augment drug use, or as an alternative to drugs when none were available.

• Members

I think there is a different version on the reissue that might include a guitar solo? on the bonus tracks CD.

The genrally accepted reasons are pretty much stated above including the need to pad the material and the general interest in eastern religion/philosophy/mind expansion that was current generally and in a town like A2. The Stooges were remarkably intellectual juvenile delinquents and were into things like Coltrane and pushing the artistic envelope in all sorts of smart/dumbways. The riff to "Dog" was copped from a Yusef Lateef LP.

• Members

2) John Cale (who plays viola on the track) produced the album and was pushing them a bit to do something more experimental.

3) Dave Alexander (bass player, RIP) was doing chant stuff at the time as a way to augment drug use, or as an alternative to drugs when none were available.

nailed it.

Archived